Where would you play your last round and why?

Humpy

Visit site
A friend who organised our sweep died in 2016 after a brain tumour was found a few months previously. He played one of his last rounds (or it could have been his last) at our club, on his own and then had a beer in the bar.

Whilst this may sound a bit anti-social I can see the appeal of saying "Goodbye" to somewhere where you've spent so many happy hours with just your own thoughts and memories.

RIP H.

D

Deleted member 17920

Must try and get back to Royal Dornoch as I was underwhelmed when I played there, the first was a very average hole and I struggle to remember any really standout holes.

They views are good but nowhere near as spectacular as my home course.

As for a last round I would go for Darenth Valley in Kent just for the fact we had a family and friends society there for 14 years and had many good memories.
Looking at your home club i bet you hit the ball low :p

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
A friend who organised our sweep died in 2016 after a brain tumour was found a few months previously. He played one of his last rounds (or it could have been his last) at our club, on his own and then had a beer in the bar.

Whilst this may sound a bit anti-social I can see the appeal of saying "Goodbye" to somewhere where you've spent so many happy hours with just your own thoughts and memories.

RIP H.

This is horrible but still lovely, love how he had a quiet drink after

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Must try and get back to Royal Dornoch as I was underwhelmed when I played there, the first was a very average hole and I struggle to remember any really standout holes.

They views are good but nowhere near as spectacular as my home course.

As for a last round I would go for Darenth Valley in Kent just for the fact we had a family and friends society there for 14 years and had many good memories.

i really like Darenth even though they have a few questionable members (@Steve Wilkes)

D

Deleted member 1147

On the basis that I would hope that my last round would be when I’m very old, I’d like to be playing a lovely course which is easy to get around.
So I’d choose Swinley, which isn’t particularly hilly, or Little Aston, which is closer to home.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Banff Springs; a more spectacularly beautiful course you will never find

fairmont-banff-springs-golf-course-L-8.jpg

images
Flippin eck, I never knew the good lord god designed golf courses. That is surely what heaven looks like.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Dunkeld & Birnam. Dunkeld is where mum was from, and we had many holidays camping in a field of a farmer friend adjacent to the (old) 8th hole. It was where I was a junior (holiday) member - my first membership with my brother and dad. Mum and sis would also sometimes walk with us as the course has beautiful views over Dunkeld and surrounding hills of the Perthshire countryside (see also @Smiffy and Pitlochry) and The Loch of the Lowes. Many, many happy memories of golfing times and my parents now gone.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Dunkeld & Birnam. Dunkeld is where mum was from, and we had many holidays camping in a field of a farmer friend adjacent to the (old) 8th hole. It was where I was a junior (holiday) member - my first membership with my brother and dad. Mum and sis would also sometimes walk with us as the course has beautiful views over Dunkeld and surrounding hills of the Perthshire countryside (see also @Smiffy and Pitlochry) and The Loch of the Lowes. Many, many happy memories of golfing times and my parents now gone.

How much was your holiday membership? I joined St Idloes in Mid Wales for a yearly sum of £4, best memories ever

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Flippin eck, I never knew the good lord god designed golf courses. That is surely what heaven looks like.
It's not as good as that in "real life" Tash.......I found three pine needles in a bunker, a worm cast smack bang in the middle of a fairway and the water in that lake had a bit of scum on it. I came away very disappointed.
????

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
How much was your holiday membership? I joined St Idloes in Mid Wales for a yearly sum of £4, best memories ever

I think I need to play St Idloes. Love an old club with an honesty box!

Maybe, it would have to be Sunningdale Old for me, summers evening with food on the patio after. Then, go and see what is next...

Started things in that part of the world...might as well finish there too

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It's not as good as that in "real life" Tash.......I found three pine needles in a bunker, a worm cast smack bang in the middle of a fairway and the water in that lake had a bit of scum on it. I came away very disappointed.
????
For £15 a round I think your nit picking ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We had junior membership as we went to Dunkeld a lot over any summer - looked like a nice weekend coming up? Then Friday after school we‘d get camping gear and everything ready for my dad getting home from work around 5:30. Car packed and off we’d head for the 2hr drive from Glasgow to Dunkeld. If IIRC it was only something like £5/yr, and I think my dads subs were £25. Mind you we are talking around 1973-1975 period - and that’s what he told my mum...it could have been more but he didn’t want my mum to know ?

evemccc

Visit site
The Old Course would have to be it....most ATGs choose to sign off from there, so I might as well join them ;) Then I'll drink myself silly in the Dunvegan

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Adeje in Tenerife.

Sentimental reasons really only course I have played with both my grandfathers and my dad at the same time. Unfortunately one of my grandfathers had a bit of a turn during the same holiday and died only a few days later during the holiday. Never had chance to play with my grandad or dad again after that round.

We played the course twice on that holiday and had many laughs and cherished memories so it would probably be there for those reasons.