Where to play near Portsmouth ?

LUFC 1972

Head Pro
Visit site
At the in laws between Xmas and New Year my son says he will treat me to a days golf as my Xmas pressie, so where would anyone recommend can be upto an hour from Havant / Portsmouth area. Have played Hayling Island, Chicheecter and Rowlands Castle so fancy somewhere else any recommendations appreciated and as my son is only 17 doing an apprenticeship any deals etc would be appreciated

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the in laws between Xmas and New Year my son says he will treat me to a days golf as my Xmas pressie, so where would anyone recommend can be upto an hour from Havant / Portsmouth area. Have played Hayling Island, Chicheecter and Rowlands Castle so fancy somewhere else any recommendations appreciated and as my son is only 17 doing an apprenticeship any deals etc would be appreciated

Waterlooville is a nice course, i was a member there for a number of years as a junior.

An hour from Havant gives you loads of options - not sure on costs, but up the a34, you have Liphook, Old thorns, Blackmoor, Hindhead.

If you want a cheap but good course, that drains well all year round, consider Hockley (10secs off the winchester M3).

D

Deleted Member 1156

The best courses within an hour of Portsmouth are Hankley Common and West Sussex if your budget will extend to that. Might be worth checking if they take county card, I know WS does but might be limitations on times etc.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Waterlooville is a nice course, i was a member there for a number of years as a junior.

An hour from Havant gives you loads of options - not sure on costs, but up the a34, you have Liphook, Old thorns, Blackmoor, Hindhead.

If you want a cheap but good course, that drains well all year round, consider Hockley (10secs off the winchester M3).
If you are considering Blackmoor, you would need to check with the club you can play between Xmas and New Year. Usually it is closed to non members, as there are so many members wanting to play, and so little day light.

Lontano

Hacker
Visit site
The best courses within an hour of Portsmouth are Hankley Common and West Sussex if your budget will extend to that. Might be worth checking if they take county card, I know WS does but might be limitations on times etc.

According to Sussex County Card website, £45 after 11am (not Friday's) for West Sussex. Absolute bargain for a course of this quality. Course is very playable all year round too. Definitely call ahead to check availability.

http://www.sussexgolf.org/county_info/county_cards/