Where to Drop?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Change the fence.

I'm inclined to think the ball was deliberately placed there. It would be remarkable to happen in normal play. Not impossible but definitely remarkable.

As regards my original query, I must stop confusing (or combining) rules. I had seen that 28 did not specifically say you can't drop in a hazard, but knew that 24 did, and therefore applied the appropriate "logic". Note to self: as has been said before; if it doesn't say nay, then all is ok.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As regards my original query, I must stop confusing (or combining) rules. I had seen that 28 did not specifically say you can't drop in a hazard, but knew that 24 did, and therefore applied the appropriate "logic". Note to self: as has been said before; if it doesn't say nay, then all is ok.

You're still a bit confused. Rule 24 does not say that you cannot drop in a hazard. It is more specific than that. You cannot take relief from an immovable obstruction in a water hazard, but you can take relief from one in a bunker where the NPR must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker.

In any case, as you realised yourself, relief from the boundary fence was not available.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're still a bit confused. Rule 24 does not say that you cannot drop in a hazard. It is more specific than that. You cannot take relief from an immovable obstruction in a water hazard, but you can take relief from one in a bunker where the NPR must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker.

In any case, as you realised yourself, relief from the boundary fence was not available.
I suspect you know the context of what I meant... when you're acting under 24 if you're not in a hazard, you can't drop into one, if you are, you can't drop out.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect you know the context of what I meant... when you're acting under 24 if you're not in a hazard, you can't drop into one, if you are, you can't drop out.

Well, just to continue being pernickety, while you cannot drop your ball in a bunker under Rule 24 if it was outside the bunker in the first place, you can indeed take drop outside the bunker when your ball is in it.

Maybe you are again confusing/combining rules - probably not in your understanding but just in the way it's being put. Rules 24 and 25 tell you where you can drop when taking relief from an immovable obstruction or an abnormal ground condition i.e. they tell you where the ball must first strike the course on being dropped. Once your ball has struck the correct part of the course, you need to turn to Rule 20-2c for the various conditions for having to re-drop - such as the ball rolling into a hazard or out of a hazard.

@Atticus - it all seems pretty logical to me ;)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, just to continue being pernickety, while you cannot drop your ball in a bunker under Rule 24 if it was outside the bunker in the first place, you can indeed take drop outside the bunker when your ball is in it.

Maybe you are again confusing/combining rules - probably not in your understanding but just in the way it's being put. Rules 24 and 25 tell you where you can drop when taking relief from an immovable obstruction or an abnormal ground condition i.e. they tell you where the ball must first strike the course on being dropped. Once your ball has struck the correct part of the course, you need to turn to Rule 20-2c for the various conditions for having to re-drop - such as the ball rolling into a hazard or out of a hazard.

@Atticus - it all seems pretty logical to me ;)

Gawd, it's like drawing teeth sometimes.. :( (I know I didn't write the bit about except under penalty etc but I still lay claim to you knowing what I meant in the context)