where do you practice?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My local is a 9-hole course with no practice areas. The driving range is available which is good for the driver. But the range isnt the best for irons and chippingecause the mats don't really simulate grass and its different lengths. Nor does the range have a practice putting green. Not to mention the range gets expensive if you go regularly. Also practice putting in the living room at home doesnt get you far!

So where would be good to practice or what is available to you? Is it acceptable to go to the local football pitch?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Our local recreation ground has a big sign up saying " No Casual Golf"....so I suppose serious practice is ok..🤔😂

I do most of my practice on the course....

D

Deleted member 18588

I suppose that it depends on whether you would consider it acceptable for the the football club to train on your golf course.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our local recreation ground has a big sign up saying " No Casual Golf"....so I suppose serious practice is ok..🤔😂

I do most of my practice on the course....

Haha. Maybe turn up in your tuxedo? 😜

As a beginner, time on the course is great and it's all essentially practice at this stage but practice is limited when doing 9/18 holes. I do hit extra balls when it's quiet but it's not always viable. Id rather take what I practice to the golf course, rather than the other way around.

I suppose that it depends on whether you would consider it acceptable for the the football club to train on your golf course.

It was just an example. Was hoping for creative responses or examples of what others do.

The local pitch is just a community pitch. Never actually seen anyone kick a ball on it. The local team play elsewhere.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i don't tend to practice by hitting balls, i get the feeling of the swing without a ball and practice turn with a board or my Golf n Sync. Chipping and pitching i do in the Garden. i'm lucky enough to have large area and can hit a full shot with a PW and down. Only do this in summer though as the lawn gets wrecked once the grass stops growing.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My course has relatively nice practice facilities: a driving range (long enough for me to smash driver and never reach the far end of it ... which is not that long), a big putting green, a pitching green with two practice bunkers and, best of all, a six hole practice course ... basically a bit like a pitch&putt, which you can play as a complete course or just pick a hole to dial in a certain approach. The downside is that there are no floodlights on the range and only a small part of the range does have huts. So practicing on winter evenings is just not happening. Germany does not have many public driving ranges, the next one from here would be in Düsseldorf and there is an indoor facility close to Cologne. So you are normally stuck with what you have at your golf club.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am very lucky, access to range at my club with free balls, chipping/pitching area (can also putt) plus putting green plus some other ranges in the area.

At home I have a 3m x 3m x 3m net in the garden and can chip/pitch up to 25 yds and utilise iPhone camera footage and mirror.

Sports pitches are OOB and should not be used.

Did actually work on pitching and chipping technique at home today which went well (disaster on course in the week).

The end result - don't do it often enough and struggling with my game - so booking for a lesson with an expert who can fix what I am doing wrong (until the next time) !

Most of us probably play too much and practice too little.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I practice at a few different local places, a bit of variety helps keep it interesting:

A couple of decent driving ranges, with short game practice areas, one with a good indoor putting green which is a godsend in winter

And

There is a P&P course <20 mins with superb putting/chipping/pitching greens (with slopes!) that I love to use plus it's free and no-one minds

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
One reason we joined our present club is the excellent practice facilities.
Driving range with complimentary balls- it's not covered but there is a 2 bay hut for teaching that you can use if no one is having a lesson.
Really big putting green with 18 holes.
Practice bunker.
Large chipping practice area about 100 x 50 yards with surface maintained to green standard, and multiple flags to aim at.

And they are currently creating something else in a spare corner but I can't imagine what it could be. Maybe it's a stand of trees to try and hit out of (my frequently needed shot!)

I only ever use the putting green before a game.

Mr Mimms LIVES on the practice area

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I 'practice' on our 9hole course. I play with just two balls and just two clubs either a 5 or 6 iron and a wedge. I play one ball against the other (which is allowed as a single player). I always deliberately miss the green but play to a 'target' eg a greenside bunker so I am left with some sort of wedge shot.

Great way of learning to hit irons different distances and different types of shot high/low, stopping or running.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I like to play my course after lunch when hardly anyone is around, I tend to hit one tee shot while in view of the clubhouse as though I was playing a proper game then do all sorts of things after that. My view is if I'm there to practice only hitting one ball is a waste of a walk.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the last couple of years I have found very little time to practice. All my golf is done on the course which probably does not help to improve my game.

nairn1967

Medal Winner
Visit site
i don't tend to practice by hitting balls, i get the feeling of the swing without a ball and practice turn with a board or my Golf n Sync. Chipping and pitching i do in the Garden. i'm lucky enough to have large area and can hit a full shot with a PW and down. Only do this in summer though as the lawn gets wrecked once the grass stops growing.

Luckily you dont hit the ball that far as I know your garden is not that big:clap::clap::clap:

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Jealous of some of the facilities you guys have access to!
Think I'm going to have to just play a few holes at the course on occasion and spend the time hitting a bunch of balls as long as no one is around!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Jealous of some of the facilities you guys have access to!
Think I'm going to have to just play a few holes at the course on occasion and spend the time hitting a bunch of balls as long as no one is around!

Nothing beats playing on the course. That's where you learn about different lies, playing different height shots, pins front or back etc.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I work 3 minutes drive from Silvermere unfortunately I have a real bad attitude to practice and get there once every six weeks. I have ball token from my club range that has been in my bag 18 months, our short game practice area is pretty good don't like our range area.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Putting in the hall. Used to chip a fair bit using foam balls in the house. Will probably start doing that again over winter.

The lads like to hit the range on cold dark nights. We hardly bother with that in the summer.