Grass driving ranges in the NE

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have been going through a cycle where I hit my irons great at the range, but terrible on the course. Had a lesson this morning which confirmed what I thought, my clubface is open at impact and I'm catching it with the hosel or near as dammit most of the time. The mats are the range are too forgiving, and I'm getting away with it there, but not on the course.

I know what I need to practice, but really need to be on grass. Our practice area is only small, and generally pretty busy, so not ideal.

So I'm looking for a range in the NE where I can hit off grass. I did think the Gubian at Morpeth has grass bays, but it turns out they replaced them with artificial mats last summer.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hobson has a small grass section next to the range you can play from. Close House has deep artificial grass which sort of mimics real grass.

Thanks.

Can you get a bucket of balls and hit them from that grass section at Hobson?

The deep artificial grass at CH sounds interesting - is that in all the bays?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks.

Can you get a bucket of balls and hit them from that grass section at Hobson?

The deep artificial grass at CH sounds interesting - is that in all the bays?

Yes I’ve seen people with buckets of balls hit from the grass, it’s at the far end of the range away from the ball vending machine.
Close House is well worth a visit but pricey (£11 for 100 balls iirc), they have Top Tracer in every bay though so you can play courses etc. if you download the Top Tracer app and register it opens up a lot more courses on the range 👍

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I’ve seen people with buckets of balls hit from the grass, it’s at the far end of the range away from the ball vending machine.
Close House is well worth a visit but pricey (£11 for 100 balls iirc), they have Top Tracer in every bay though so you can play courses etc. if you download the Top Tracer app and register it opens up a lot more courses on the range 👍

I don't know if it's still the same.....but....you used to have to be a member to use the grass areas at end of range through the door

Not sure if that still applies??

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know if it's still the same.....but....you used to have to be a member to use the grass areas at end of range through the door

Not sure if that still applies??

I’m really not sure mate, the large grass area where you take your own balls (next to the 10th tee) is definitely members only but I’ve also seen people with baskets of balls just to the left of the range on the small grass area.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I was at The Morpeth Golf Centre the other week and there was definitely some outside bays but I did not notice if they were grass or not, maybe worth a call if they are more local to you.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was at The Morpeth Golf Centre the other week and there was definitely some outside bays but I did not notice if they were grass or not, maybe worth a call if they are more local to you.

That's what used to be known as The Gubian. It used to have grass in the outside bays, but they replaced it with mats last year.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wearside has a 200yard grass practice area. If you go right in corner it’s about 220 yards. It also has a 9 hole par 3 course. If you join as a social practice user can go on it every day if you want