When you can hit ‘a moving ball’

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think, for sure, they waited far too long but obviously they could see the ball moving. However the rules are the rules and the penalty should be applied.

Just out of interest, if the ball is at 'deemed' at rest after 10 seconds, and your approach has stopped at the top of a green slope and stays there for over a minute, but whilst you're walking to it putter in hand and it starts rolling, I assume you cannot hit it whilst it's moving (even though it's deemed to be at rest!) and you have to play it from where it stops?
From what people have said the 10 seconds only starts after you actually reach your ball. But if you were there at your ball sizing up your shot for more than 10 seconds and then it started to roll down the slope, then yes, presumably you could quickly hit it while it's moving. Otherwise it would be inconsistent with what we've discussed so far.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what people have said the 10 seconds only starts after you actually reach your ball. But if you were there at your ball sizing up your shot for more than 10 seconds and then it started to roll down the slope, then yes, presumably you could quickly hit it while it's moving. Otherwise it would be inconsistent with what we've discussed so far.

I don't think the 10 second rule applies in any situation other than the ball dropping in the hole. Other than that, play it as it lies unless there is outside interference in which case it is replaced.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely at the end of the day "the rules are the rules" - I personally dont agree with much of the rules on offside in football but they are "the rules" . The rules of golf have been around long enough to assume that they are generally correct so as to manage the game and, where they prove not to be, the authorities change them.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I dont see the consistency, after the 10th second you could mark, lift and replace the ball !

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
This rule only comes into force when part of the ball is overhanging the hole, not elsewhere on the course
So in theory if the ball is slightly moving on the green you have to wait till you are convinced it is at rest before playing another stroke, once it gets to any part of the ball overhanging the hole you only have 10 seconds for it to drop, even if it's clearly moving (I should add if within that 10 seconds the ball is no longer overhanging the hole and is say moving away from the hole, you can't hit till it has stopped moving)

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This rule only comes into force when part of the ball is overhanging the hole, not elsewhere on the course
That's interesting to hear. When I saw this discussion I did think of some of the comedy greens in the US when the ball keeps rolling, often at glaical speed and then picking up pace, remember Phil running after his ball and hitting it. This caveat stops that.

Ultimately, it is not a rule I knew, nor is it likely to ever impact me. There are plenty of rules like this in golf that most are not aware of. It does surprise me that pro's don't know though, it is poor from them. If that is your job then surely you would want to be all over the rules. Particularly so in golf which has more fiddly rules than most sports and they really can cost you.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I think, for sure, they waited far too long but obviously they could see the ball moving. However the rules are the rules and the penalty should be applied.

Just out of interest, if the ball is at 'deemed' at rest after 10 seconds, and your approach has stopped at the top of a green slope and stays there for over a minute, but whilst you're walking to it putter in hand and it starts rolling, I assume you cannot hit it whilst it's moving (even though it's deemed to be at rest!) and you have to play it from where it stops?
Reasonable amount of time to walk to your ball on the edge of the hole - then the ten seconds starts to see if it will drop - different scenario from your example