When it all goes wrong......... What do you do.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Baz, we had better not play together again, people will be taking our belts and shoe laces away. I could have written your starting post.

I'm gradually getting back into it, but the hardest thing seems to be taking the practice swing, which is fine, into the real swing. There seems some transition, where the practice swing feels fine, on plane, full turn, to the real swing, where it just feels wrong from the off.

Not helping, I know, but when I fing an answer, I'll let you know!

It's physical tension, caused by mental tension, just that. Only you can deal with the mental side of the game.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just something that tends to work for me when I'm struggling...

I'll go to the range and only hit the PW, Start off with 3/4 swings nice and easy and just repeat and think tempo.
I'll just repeat until I'm catching them well, then pick a target and just keep hitting them.
Maybe a few visits, Maybe 200-300 balls, but I'll only hit PW. For me its a tempo/timing thing and this usually gets me back on track.

Hope you get sorted:thup:

D

Deleted member 21258

Golf the most annoying game you can ever play.

I find putting the most annoying part of the game, how can you be out by x inches from 6 foot, when you can sometimes hit a 200 odd drive straight.

I like to have a swing thought, but this almost changes on every single hole during a round, this means I never focus to much on it and the shot is always different almost on every hole. Some to the right, some to the left, some straight, some low, some high, different shots etc. I kind of love the ups and downs and the waves that it brings in a round, see it as the real challenge and I never manage to hit the perfect shot, that is what makes me want to hit again and again and again, as I know I could have played each shot better, as every shot is rubbish that I play in my eyes!!!!.

I tend to swing hard at the ball, so I try not to ever quit on a shot, so at least it progress the ball nearer the hole, which is the name of the game and having fun, as my swing is not good at all, I sway about 8 plus inches off the ball, dip my head massively, swing very armish though the ball, Windmill and you don't want that ball back, has been mentioned a few times to me.

Clear the mind, don't think to deeply over the swing and have fun and play against yourself, even when in a competition and look to play each hole in as few shots as possible by whatever means (long game, middle game, short game, putting etc being good on any one day).

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had a spell in the mid 80's that went the same way, including a high, weak fade. After months of searching for the cure I decided no golf for 2 months, not even a range session. Stuck to the no-golf rule, even though I went through cold turkey. Came back to the game, and whatever the problem had been, it was gone.

In 2001 I had a few lessons off an ex-tour player - total disaster. After several months of pain I decided stuff it, I'll just hit the ball without all the swing thoughts. Worked perfectly.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Strip it right back to basics. Grip, Posture, Alignment, then swing. Nothing else.

The more your mind is cluttered, the more tension that comes into your arms, and the more it is working overtime to make the adjustments you think it requires.

You are clearly a decent golfer, so just strip it right back to basics, relax, and play a few rounds without keeping score. It will all come back to you. It's the winter now.... so just take it all with a pinch of salt and try thinking of the bigger picture.

The best golfers in the world have dips in form. 3 or 4 months of top 10 finishes every week and then 6+ months not making the cut!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Get someone to film your swing on the course or film it yourself
Then see what is causing the bad shot.
Then practice the cure till your confidence returns

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I went round in my lowest score ever on Sunday and won a comp, today I shanked 75% of the balls at the range, it absolutely destroys any confidence you have, no matter what I tried it didn't work.

Just a very hard sport and a times we all suck I guess.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Odd Socks, sometimes when coming on here with a problem you get the eureka answer you've been searching for, other times the waters get muddied even more.

I think some of the comments previously mentioned hold merit. Maybe a week or two off. Maybe even put the clubs away for the winter. This might just help you to forget all the things that you are trying to do and allow you to swing normally.

Alternatively, I once lost my game completely. I solved it by popping to the range, getting 100 balls and smacking these as hard and as fast as I could in succession. I then took a short break, bought another 100 and swung at normal pace. No swing thoughts at all in both of the swings. I think that getting the aggression out combined with letting my normal swing find it's self helped me to it.

There's been a lot of comments on enjoy the game, don't overthink, etc etc aren't helping. Something like this affects your whole game when I think the trying too hard comments are only relevant when trying to put a score together. Normally you play well in these situations but letting your mind take over ruins your score. When it is an entire melt down it isn't really helpful because it just stays in your head.

Try just battering them for a bit and see what results come, you never know. One thing I would say, it'll only take a few good hits to get that confidence up again. I know it doesn't seem that way but you will manage to resolve it.

t0m

Head Pro
Visit site
I hit a lovely practice swing put the ball in front of me and god knows what's gonna happen. I get in a rut when I don't meet my expectation or when I look at a playing partner and don't do as well.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

True though. That fella is a shining example of someone who comes back week in, week out. Writes a blog, finds time for 40 million forum posts whilst getting worse at golf :eek:

Whenever it's going badly, just think of homie!!!

(The stop whining bit was tongue in cheek :thup:)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I go back to reading my golf bible and it puts me back on track. Tbh the reason I get a bit ragged is due to lack of playing and practicing this year.

The golf lessons I use teach some very good basic practices that when learnt tend to stop you from getting too bad.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only read the first page, and got so exited (another thread...) I had to jump to reply.

Last year you had the lovely taylormades with the crazy stiff shafts (haha)

Could this be the difference? You could have them again, including the 51° a wedge.

Gotta be better than giving up, plus I feel like I was doing a public service and would have no guilt in getting fitted for them srixons I keep banging on about...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I have found that basically quitting works

I am getting the urge to play again.. might just do that if it stays mild else I'll be more than ready to go come April/May or maybe June :p

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only read the first page, and got so exited (another thread...) I had to jump to reply.

Last year you had the lovely taylormades with the crazy stiff shafts (haha)

Could this be the difference? You could have them again, including the 51° a wedge.

Gotta be better than giving up, plus I feel like I was doing a public service and would have no guilt in getting fitted for them srixons I keep banging on about...

A) they were a soft stiff
B) pm me the price!

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok lads with the risk of this becoming a sympathy seeking me me me thread, I can honestly say after Sunday I'm very close to giving up. Now for those that know me this isn't me at all as I'm too stubborn but in my current situation I'm really struggling to find any kind of drive to solider on.

Last year I played my best golf, had a great season with most finishes being in the top five of every comp I entered and constantly buffering, I see a 30% ish drop in he and walked away with three major board comp wins so all in all was a happy socks.

Around the end September my golf got a bit hit and miss and instead of doing the sensible thing and booking a lesson I tried to play through it self diagnosing which proved to be the biggest mistake I could have made.

A year down the line and it's a serious car crash and despite lessons, range time, a different approach and even backing off how much I'm playing and practicing I can't seem to clear this area and see any light at the end of the tunnel. I've seen my pro, worked on drills at home, incorporated them into my pre shot routine, yet when a club is in my hand I lock up, snatch at everything with no tempo, rythm and go to pieces. When I say it's got worse in a recent bounce game around what I would describe as an easy course I walked off with 24pts in the morning and 19pts in the afternoon, so as you can see something has to give.

I've tried the couldn't give a hoot go out for the banter but with some of the best playing partners I just can't get past it,

What tips do people have for someone at the edge of a cliff ready to throw the clubs off the edge.

I appreciate this is not fun for you, my advice if I can be blunt is man up ! appreciate it is only a game, and you are in ( I hope) a privileged postion to be fit and well enough to play the game, yeah its frustrating and annoying and enjoyable and brilliant and crap but its golf lighten up and laugh it off.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I doubt very much you have become an appalling swinger of the club overnight, so to me, your issue is one of confidence and commitment to the shot rather than technical.

I think a lot of players head straight to their pro as soon as they have an issue as the mantra from so many is "Get a lesson". I would suspect state of mind and confidence have a greater part to play than many consider.

I would try to rebuild your confidence, you need to try not to think about the mechanical aspects of the swing but think about making a committed swing as being successful, not in hitting perfect positions through the swing. Just taking a 7 iron and hitting it 50 yds to feel that solid contact will help, then build that up to a fuller swing. I have always considered that confidence comes from good ball striking not the other way around. After all, when you are striking it well I am sure there is never the desire to smash it, you know you can reach your target.

HTH.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Stop whining!!! Play with homer, that will make you feel better :)

I assume this is some kind of kill or cure idea. Speak to those (un)lucky enough to have partnered me at GM events and it isn't necessarily as bad as it sounds! Of course I could talk him through Aimpoint and my desire to get to single figures to finish his golfing enthusiasm totally :cheers::ears: