when do you apply your handicap change

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
player plays away on the saturday. on the sunday the player states before his round (stableford comp) on his home course that his handicap maybe up 0.1 but the result from yesterday isnt up. he signs in with handicap from friday morn. he signs the card and posts it in the box. on monday night when looking at cards he says his card is wrong and his handicap is higher and wants to claim 2 extra points!!!
anyone?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought it was only when it is official? So if you score better than SSS between comps and no official result you cut yourself to the SSS but can never add anything to your handicap...

I am very new at the job though so await the experts with interest.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was always told that your handicap should be changed after the round if you are playing again as your handicap is your responsibility too. If you play a 36 hole comp and you shoot the lights out in round one you should be cut for round 2 unless their is a ruling before the comp to suggest the same handicap for both rounds which to be fair is unusual.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
im looking for a handicap secretary with years knowledge and is prepared to have a phonecall with me later this evening. as there is more to this story but i dont want to write it on a public forum (very serious)

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Amanda said, if your handicap is being cut (you work from the SSS if no official CSS is available), then you apply it yourself but you shouldn't increase by 0.1 though.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
BS, it's worth highlighting that the player should only be signing for a correct score at every hole and it is also his responsibility to report away scores if he has done so properly then there should be no arguements but it looks like the scenario aint as straight forward as that.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As Amanda said, if your handicap is being cut (you work from the SSS if no official CSS is available), then you apply it yourself but you shouldn't increase by 0.1 though.

Why not if thats what is due? If you shoot 10 above the SSS then you should be up 0.1, there would be no debate on that.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why not if thats what is due? If you shoot 10 above the SSS then you should be up 0.1, there would be no debate on that.

Dems are the rules I'm afraid.
Amanda is right. She's not just a pretty face.;)
You can cut yourself from 10.5 to 10.4 but you cant put yourself up from 10.4 to 10.5

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Dems are the rules I'm afraid.
Amanda is right. She's not just a pretty face.;)
You can cut yourself from 10.5 to 10.4 but you cant put yourself up from 10.4 to 10.5

I have just had a read of my CONGU book 2008 - 2011 (out of date now, but sure this still applies) a player is required to self cut only. Because he wouldn't know the CSS he cant go up but he has to cut downwards to ensure that he doesn't break the fundamental rule of golf and play off a higher handicap. If he doesn't (and shouldn't) put it up he won't have broken that golden rule as it's perfectly acceptable to play off a lower handicap than the correct one. In any event the card he signed and put in is "done and dusted" that is the h/c he signed for and right or wrong he cant alter it after submitting the card

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

The main reason is that the Computer may determine a reduction only CSS - if scores are so bad that CSS would go up by 4 instead of the maximum 3 then the comp would be declared reduction only and you wouldn't go up 0.1

I think.....

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
BS, it's worth highlighting that the player should only be signing for a correct score at every hole and it is also his responsibility to report away scores if he has done so properly then there should be no arguements but it looks like the scenario aint as straight forward as that.

He or she is also required to put the correct handicap on the card before signing it...

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
He or she is also required to put the correct handicap on the card before signing it...

Jezz , question please , in a 36 hole comp shouldnt you play off the same handicap in the 2nd round , no mater what you shot in the 1st round ?

Edit , my belief has always been you have to cut you own handicap if it due , but you are not allowed increase your own handicap until its offical..

Last edited:

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
I was always told that your handicap should be changed after the round if you are playing again as your handicap is your responsibility too. If you play a 36 hole comp and you shoot the lights out in round one you should be cut for round 2 unless their is a ruling before the comp to suggest the same handicap for both rounds which to be fair is unusual.

Interestingly I've never played a 36-hole comp where handicaps are cut between rounds and I believe most are played that way.

I know The R&A has virtually nothing to do with handicaps, but this is the recommendation they make... "In 36-hole stroke play competitions it is recommended that handicaps are not altered during the event."

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Jezz , question please , in a 36 hole comp shouldnt you play off the same handicap in the 2nd round , no mater what you shot in the 1st round ?

Edit , my belief has always been you have to cut you own handicap if it due , but you are not allowed increase your own handicap until its offical..

Was midway through replying Bill when you posted this...!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was midway through replying Bill when you posted this...!

Cheers thanks for that , that was my understanding also .. is this only for strokeplay tho ? as with G1bbo in the volvo match play even tho he started the comp off one handicap , he will have to play the next round (even tho its the same comp) off his now new (lower) handicap .. thanks

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We had a big "to do" at our place a few years back and asked the EGU and CONGU about 36 hole comps

As far as we could ascertain, bearing in mind CONGU only make recommendations, if the 36 holes are played on the same day or very close together, say the next day, then it is ok to make no playing handicap adjustments between rounds. If there are a few days, or say a week, between the rounds then an adjustment is necessary.

We had our 36 hole comp this Saturday and Sunday and no adjustments were made for the 2nd round but each round has been adjusted seperately since.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Cheers thanks for that , that was my understanding also .. is this only for strokeplay tho ? as with G1bbo in the volvo match play even tho he started the comp off one handicap , he will have to play the next round (even tho its the same comp) off his now new (lower) handicap .. thanks

Yes, that's an entirely different thing - this is only for 36-hole (or more I guess) strokeplay events