when do you apply your handicap change

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not much help in this case but here in NZ your handicap index changes every 14 days and that's the handicap index you play off for the next 14 days, no complications

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
good questions and points here, and it may be worth exploring the 36 hole one a little more.

basically the reason that it's a recommendation from CONGU is that the club will be best placed to relate it's practice to the situation. This should be done in the Conditions of Competition set out by the club for the event (as should things like how ties will be determined etc). The R&A recommendation is generally followed because it makes the most practical sense. Consecutive days - retain the playing handicaps; anything else - change them after each round. Handicap software accommodates both approaches.

Matchplay does not affect handicapping, it's only the other way round :) therefore you will always play any round off your correct playing handicap at the time.

Which brings us back to the original question - which has cropped up for debate elsewhere recently too; especially in the context of smartphones and handicap change notification. As Jezz has pointed out the player is responsible under the rules for entering his handicap on his card as well as hole scores and signatures. This handicap is the lower of his recorded handicap on the club list or such adjusted handicap as a result an unprocessed Q score that was better than SSS (or CSS if known). This will be such handicap at his allocated tee time - because if it was a matchplay round he would have to agree strokes before teeing off so it cannot be any later, and you can only have one handicap etc etc.

So if a change (increase) is processed prior to teeing off, and the player is aware through notification or seeing it on the board, fine - if not his playing handicap has not changed for that competition.

In practice problems occur in this computerised world because the system won't know when the player has teed off in another competition and may have been updated in the meantime. The player gets back in and enters his scores in the system which now shows a higher handicap and the player doesn't even have the means to change this - what should he do? The answer is that he should raise it for the committee - and equally the committee should see the discrepancy when they check the cards ....

This 'issue' is not only relevant to away scores but can also occur when a competition is kept open to resolve a rules query - which is also why committees can be reluctant to pursue decisions that might take time.

Bigslice - the only appropriate way to get a definitive answer as a club official will be to contact the SGU handicap representative; we would speak to James Crampton but you have someone else so I don't have either name or contact details (and you have a few differences in your CONGU rules too, but I don't think there are any in this situation)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmm.

I would never presume to have an extra 0.1 before it was verified.

I guess it only matters if (lets say for me) I'm on 11.4 or 12.4, but then I'd still not "pop" it up, better to play of one less and be legal.

The difficulty would be waiting on a result that would produce a cut.Here again, if there was a real chance of going from 11.6 down to 11.4 or 11.2 or 11.00 or whatever...I'd probably stick down 11 on the card.

I'd rather do the right moral thing and get disqualified than take a risk.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmm.

I would never presume to have an extra 0.1 before it was verified.

I guess it only matters if (lets say for me) I'm on 11.4 or 12.4, but then I'd still not "pop" it up, better to play of one less and be legal.

The difficulty would be waiting on a result that would produce a cut.Here again, if there was a real chance of going from 11.6 down to 11.4 or 11.2 or 11.00 or whatever...I'd probably stick down 11 on the card.

I'd rather do the right moral thing and get disqualified than take a risk.
You wont be disqualified for playing off 11.4 when you should be 11.6.
Just that your score will be calcuated using 11 rather than the 12 it should have been.