When did golf become an all year sport?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Qualifiers all year round here. Css is adjusted accordingly. Three of our holes are off the red tees at the moment and it's the only time I've know the course to run them as non qualifying

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
So why do most Scottish golf clubs not run qualifiers during the Winter?

The question was "When did golf become an all year sport?", which has nothing to do with what type of golf you play. We play winter league golf three days a week and most tee times for a Wednesday and Saturday are fully booked ten days in advance of the competition, which indicates that golf is not a summer sport as you imply. Our course is 22 miles from the UK's busiest ski resort and is never closed due to weather conditions.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Shoes
Raingear
Bags

All much better than 20 years ago, all light and waterproof, when i was a young golfer, it was a slog as the gear was a lot heavier, but it was always 12 months a year for me. I think the modern gear gives more golfers the expectation that they SHOULD be out year round.

D

Deleted member 18588

Courses may benefit, but not clubs. In my region clubs want members and revenue, all year round!

But it is the course that is usually the biggest attraction and, therefore, asset of any club.

I see that you, like me, are in the East Midlands and in my experience there are not very many courses in the region that stand up well to heavy winter traffic.

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been a member at my club for close on 4 years and have played every winter since joining, weather permitting.

This year comps are non-qualifiers, but in previous winters qualifiers have been played. I don't think the club has a hard and fast rule on this and suspect it's decided as late as possible using a number of factors when considering what to do.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But it is the course that is usually the biggest attraction and, therefore, asset of any club.

I see that you, like me, are in the East Midlands and in my experience there are not very many courses in the region that stand up well to heavy winter traffic.

My course has been very, very wet, and many including the captain think it should have been shut. It hasn't been and so we'll be playing a qualifier next week on a very boggy course, with a lot of muddy lies, especially around the greens, even with roped off areas for trolley's. That said I'd rather be out playing and playing comps than not at all. The issue will be how the course recovers and how long it takes to do so to see if the decision has been justified

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My previous club had qualifiers all year round except December which was earmarked for all the festive games, 3-club, BB's, Turkey Shoots etc, other than there was a medal every month and a stableford every week.

My current club has a break from monthly medals for 3 months over the winter but if the course is not shortened there are midweek stableford comps available to play in as qualifiers, this winters weather has not made that possible this year, but there is no hard fast decision that we do not offer qualifiers all year, it's solely based on the condition of the course on an ongoing basis.

I was under the impression that if the course was not shortened and not on temps and your club ran a comp, Congu were encorouging them to always be qualifiers, irrelevant of the time of year!

D

Deleted member 18588

Mickey, It was never a year round sport for good footballers or match-goers.

For crap players and armchairs - 12 months a year.:D

Very tempted to say that is the right answer.

But I had better not;)

I do know it had damn all to do with "qualifiers"!