What's your worst purchase?

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
SLDR Hybrid. Hate it. Hate the feel, hate the noise, even the headcover sucks. Should have bought a 5 wood instead.

Oh dear! I've just bought a 17 degree SLDR hybrid to replace my SLDR 5-wood. Haven't used it yet - it'll get its first outing in tomorrow's greensomes.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A set of MP-59 bought for a bargain price and on a complete whim from DG earlier this year. The felt lovely but was hitting my 7 iron into the clouds and about 15 yards shorter than my (then) cobras. They felt really squishy of the face and whilst i did enjoy the feeling, it did noting to appease my feeling that the clubs were really short hitters.

A 38" in Odyssey counterbalanced two ball putter. I bought it thinking that it would feel the same as my mates TM spider counterbalanced (even though that was only 35").....

Truth be told i literally could not sink a single put with it and sold it straight after my first round with it. I felt like the thing was tinkling my Belly Button when addressing the ball (this has nothing to do with the size of my gut......honest......ok well maybe a little)

Made a profit on both items though, so cant really complain.

I have made some right dodgy purchases though. All part of the fun.

S

Snelly

Any one of the 150 hybrids I've tried!! Have now given up :thup:

Have you ever tried a Ping i25 hybrid? I have one and it is one of the nicest clubs I have ever hit a ball with. Perhaps worth a try?

My worst purchase was bought for me. A Scotty Cameron putter. Still got it as it was a gift but I will never use it on the course - useless thing. Overrated, overpriced and I think they are putters for the gullible.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
714 MB irons.

Got fully fitted by Titleist at St. Ives for a full set of 714 Mb's, hit them lovely in the fitting. Once they arrived, couldn't get along with them one bit. Shaft was just too stiff and long. The fit just wasn't right. I complained to Titleist, they offered to re-fit FOC. But by that point I just wanted rid. Due to the stupidly stiff shaft, being stupid long and really upright, I sold them for a whopping £500 loss. Must have only used them a half dozen times. :mmm:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nothing wrong with them, I own 3 pair. Lovely shoes. Just have to get the sizing right and your set.

I tried them on in the shop. Always an 8 in everything including adidas trainers. They were way too small and so were the 8.5. Ended up with a 9 and just couldn't get them to soften, stretch of fit. Tried them for en-twelve rounds, wore them on the range and practice grounds, tried stretchers and softening the leather. Nothing worked and feet continually shredded.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit like some MB's then…..:rofl::cheers:
true:mad::smirk:
I tried them on in the shop. Always an 8 in everything including adidas trainers. They were way too small and so were the 8.5. Ended up with a 9 and just couldn't get them to soften, stretch of fit. Tried them for en-twelve rounds, wore them on the range and practice grounds, tried stretchers and softening the leather. Nothing worked and feet continually shredded.
Normally a 9. I got 8.5 medium fit and they gave lovely after a few rounds. Exactly the same fit for Footjoy. (DNA's and Dryjoy casuals)
I do have a theory though. I wear work-boots and walk on ballast all week long so maybe my feet are just more robust. (or you southerners are just being big shandy drinking softies :D)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you ever tried a Ping i25 hybrid? I have one and it is one of the nicest clubs I have ever hit a ball with. Perhaps worth a try?

My worst purchase was bought for me. A Scotty Cameron putter. Still got it as it was a gift but I will never use it on the course - useless thing. Overrated, overpriced and I think they are putters for the gullible.

I haven't tried the i25, git an i20 hybrid though.

I'm afraid its the idiot at the end of the stick that can't work out how to hit them!

Gone back to a 5 wood and very happy now.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
A new Titleist 910 with a stiff Kaili shaft £275. Supposedly/Apparently fitted by a very well known NW pro on a Trackman. Never again, I want to see the ball flight with my own eyes, not via a sim'.

I can usually drive the ball well but this club was absolute gash, total hook machine in every possible setting.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That shaft was utter rubbish for me too. When I jerked at it from the top the head felt like it was at my ear when my hands were down at the ball.

I got an adila rip and it was the first time I appreciated how much a shaft can change a club.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
That shaft was utter rubbish for me too. When I jerked at it from the top the head felt like it was at my ear when my hands were down at the ball.

I got an adila rip and it was the first time I appreciated how much a shaft can change a club.

The Aldila Rip suits me too, as does the older VS proto which is/was a great shaft.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My mate got good numbers from the kali too but he changes clubs more than his under crackers so didn't last too long with him either. :rofl: