What's your worst purchase?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
An electric trolly that failed the first time it rained when the controller got wet. Company had gone bust (surprise, surprise) but someone converted it to a simple rotary switch. Worked for a few months then the gearbox went!

Looked OK in the skip at the recycling centre.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'm strongly contemplating a hickory-shafted persimmon driver-spoon-cleek set of woods from Louisville Golf.
The shorter lengths, flatter lie angles, and weaker lofts as compared to modern clubs would all serve in my favor.
The fewer mishits could be worth the price paid in reduced distance.

This notion, however, has all the makings of a possible four figure mistake.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think my current pencil bag.

Pockets are too small and although its a double shoulder strap which sometimes helps does get twisted a lot.

The legs are also too long for the bag so it is always falling over.

Was only £15 from eBay IIRC so i still use it and not found a better value replacement yet.

D

Deleted member 1147

SLDR driver

Hit it like a dream during the fitting.
Consistently hit snap hooks thereafter ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm not an impulse buyer so generally not too bad but I remember a Taylor Made 240 driver that had a shaft made of liquorice. Awful driver.
Penfold Commando golf balls. 1 piece. I wonder why they don't make them anymore ?.
Hi Tec golf shoes. Heavy and uncomfortable.
Oh and I once bought a Wilson driver online. Only when it arrived did I realise it was left handed. It was described as such and I never noticed. I never did send it back. I gave it away in the end.

U

User62651

A Momentus swng Trainer - very short and heavy, felt weird from the off.

Inside Approach swing path trainer - terrifying.

After watching Zach Johnson putt like a dream went for a SeeMore putter untested - far and away the worst feeling putter I've ever tried, couldn't hit it.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Well, my worst purchase may turn out to be the driver I bought in January. Looking for more distance at age 70, I bought Taylormade 12* M6 with a senior shaft. I convinced myself that's what I needed without consulting a fitter. I wasn't any longer with it and developed a violent hook. Recently went back to my old 10.5* Ping G25 with a regular shaft. Now I learn the trade-in value for the M6 is $80. I paid around $150 cash plus another $200 in gift cards. How dumb can one be.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
An Odyssey #1 Tank. Holed a monster putt on our putting green at a demo day and couldn't miss a short one so pulled the trigger. Lasted about three rounds but distance control was crap and couldn't make a thing. Felt horrible on the course

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not an impulse buyer so generally not too bad but I remember a Taylor Made 240 driver that had a shaft made of liquorice. Awful driver.
Penfold Commando golf balls. 1 piece. I wonder why they don't make them anymore ?.
Hi Tec golf shoes. Heavy and uncomfortable.
Oh and I once bought a Wilson driver online. Only when it arrived did I realise it was left handed. It was described as such and I never noticed. I never did send it back. I gave it away in the end.
The Wilson driver made me laugh ? ??

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Set of Ram Laser woods, early nineties they were really offset and supposedly anti slice
Certainly cured the slice, but the resulting horrendous hook was worse.
Still lesson learnt fix the swing rather than buy a club to do it.