What's your SG putting?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Just entered all my stats in the OP's tool, from my last round, from memory - was hard to recall exactly how many feet away I was, but I made my best guess at them.

30 Stokes​

26.39 Expected Exp​

-1.61 Strokes Gained SG​

Is that good? I felt I putted well on the day, had quite a few one-putts but two three-putts (one of which the first putt was from a good 20+ feet).
Did you mean to put 28.39
Depends what the 1.61 is being judged against, if it's tour pro then that's fantastic, if it's against Scratch then it's putting to around a 9/10 handicap

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
What is SG?
Some of my favourites,

Standard Gauge
Specific Gravity
Stanley Gibbons (Stamp collector's catalogue)
Snow Goose
Soylent Green
Spice Girls (Also: Sexy Ginger)
Scots Guards
Spyro Gyra (showing my age there, huh?)
Splinter Group
Solid Gold
Stewie Griffin (Also: Seth Green - who did the voice of Chris Griffin)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you mean to put 28.39
Depends what the 1.61 is being judged against, if it's tour pro then that's fantastic, if it's against Scratch then it's putting to around a 9/10 handicap
I copied and pasted those numbers from the page he linked up, after I put my stats in. So no I didn't mean to put anything else, I don't even know what it means. :ROFLMAO:

My handicap is 13.5 at the moment if that helps. The page/tool didn't ask what my handicap was though.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I copied and pasted those numbers from the page he linked up, after I put my stats in. So no I didn't mean to put anything else, I don't even know what it means. :ROFLMAO:

My handicap is 13.5 at the moment if that helps. The page/tool didn't ask what my handicap was though.
If 30 putts - expected 26.39 = - 3.61 and not -1.61, so either you took 28 putts or the expected was 28.39
The SG doesn't need to know your handicap is, but you need to know what handicap the expected putts is being judged against

Steve Wilkes

Visit site

From 26ft 9in is the distance that the average scratch player is just as likely to 3 putt as to hole it, so the expected putts from that range is exactly 2 (this distance is 33ft for a PGA Tour Pro)
so the following
if you left every putt 26ft 9in from the hole on all 18 greens then the Expected Total Putts is 36 for a scratch player ( It's 35 for Tour Pro )
6ft 8in is the 50/50 distance for holing it or missing for a scratch player (This is 7ft 10in for Tour Pro)
if you left every putt 6ft 8in from the hole on all 18 greens then the Expected Total Putts is 27 for a scratch player ( It's 25 for Tour Pro )

singh246

Visit site
My handicap is 4.8 and I've averaged -1.21 against scratch over the last 6 years I've been keeping track of putts, which is around the standard of 6 handicap, -2.0 is around 10 handicap, and -3.0 is around 16 handicap, So I would say putting is not the strongest part of your game

So my -3.1 SG is against pro. Difference between pro and scratch is about 2.5 shots. So your -1.2 vs scratch is like a 3.7 vs pro.

I was trying to work out what area to improve, I feel like I'm a decent putter.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
So my -3.1 SG is against pro. Difference between pro and scratch is about 2.5 shots. So your -1.2 vs scratch is like a 3.7 vs pro.

I was trying to work out what area to improve, I feel like I'm a decent putter.
yes, -3.1 against tour pro, I would say work on other areas of the game (Your putting is fine), what do the other areas SG say

singh246

Visit site
From 26ft 9in is the distance that the average scratch player is just as likely to 3 putt as to hole it, so the expected putts from that range is exactly 2 (this distance is 33ft for a PGA Tour Pro)
so the following
if you left every putt 26ft 9in from the hole on all 18 greens then the Expected Total Putts is 36 for a scratch player ( It's 35 for Tour Pro )
6ft 8in is the 50/50 distance for holing it or missing for a scratch player (This is 7ft 10in for Tour Pro)
if you left every putt 6ft 8in from the hole on all 18 greens then the Expected Total Putts is 27 for a scratch player ( It's 25 for Tour Pro )
You're understanding this, but I'm not sure the rest are!

Just entered all my stats in the OP's tool, from my last round, from memory - was hard to recall exactly how many feet away I was, but I made my best guess at them.

30 Stokes​

26.39 Expected Exp​

-1.61 Strokes Gained SG​

Is that good? I felt I putted well on the day, had quite a few one-putts but two three-putts (one of which the first putt was from a good 20+ feet).
If you're -1.61 using the calc (which is pegged against pro) that's extremely good putting, especially for your handicap.

singh246

Visit site
yes, -3.1 against tour pro, I would say work on other areas of the game (Your putting is fine), what do the other areas SG say

I don't have an app or anything so just manually do it for the putting. SG works really well for putting because distance is a simple and useful metric to determine the difficulty of a putt - obviously not perfect but good enough. Working out SG for short game would be nigh on impossible as there are so many more variables which affect the difficulty of the shot (lie, how much green to work with etc.). Similarly SG for other parts of the game are too difficult to calculate.

I keep GIR though, which has been averaged at 7.05 over the last 20 rounds

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
You're understanding this, but I'm not sure the rest are!

If you're -1.61 using the calc (which is pegged against pro) that's extremely good putting, especially for your handicap.
With most Apps , you can set the handicap you want to be based against, so we don't really know if Orikoru putted well that day or not

Steve Wilkes

Visit site

Hi Orikoru, Have you got the first putt distances you input into the app