What's your favourite putter and why?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes Tracey. Had it for donkeys and would never change it. Just had it re-gripped and it feels a bit strange at the moment, but will soon be back to it's best and appearing up a tree near you soon...

AliMc

Visit site
I had a Ping Anser way back, I bought it in my mates sports shop on a Friday afternoon for £24, the next day it was the Haddington B open (for 6 h'caps and over) i was working in the morning and in the last group off, one of my friends met me on about the 15th and asked how i was doing, ran up to the clubhouse to check the scores came back to tell me I had to birdie one of the last 2 (I was on the 17th tee by then) I parred 17 and had about a 40 footer for birdie on 18, of course I knocked it in won the comp on count back and won £150. I used the Anser for a few years but kind of went off it. One Saturday evening I was in my mates restaurant (used to go in every Saturday for a pizza, beer and chat) and he was practising his putting on the carpet, I asked him what the problem was and he said he was putting crap, I said I have the 'answer' in the back of my car. I gave him the Anser and he gave me the pizza and beer in return. We were discussing this the other day and he tells me he still has it in his garage. But to Anser the Op my favourite putter is my Odyssey works #7 the I currently use.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
2 ball served me well but my copper spider x has been fantastic

But if I’m being honest the putters not the problem when i putt bad

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Since 1975 I’ve only had three - John Letters Golden Goose Mallet; Acushnet Bullseye Flange; Odyssey White Hot Pro #2 Center Shafted. I loved the bullseye, but in truth the Odyssey is brilliant for the under three footers and my favourite. I found the bullseye unforgiving for the shorties (Stuck with it for over 30yrs mind).

Before 1975 I used a cut-down hickory shafted driving iron…it may have been a putter but I don’t think so.

Last edited:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Current, and hopefully long term is Spider x. Very forgiving, reliable, good career prospects, fun to be around, dependable.

Ex was a Scotty Circa 62 number 2. Classy, stylish, real head turner. Unfortunately, temperamental and ultra high maintenance, with hindsight, probably out of my league.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If your favourite putter goes off the boil, it may not be the putter's fault. Amazing, I know.

A popular ''issue'' I see with golfers missing putts is too much lower half movement.
Try the drill below and try and keep the pressure against the chair the same on both cheeks.
Or get someone to stand behind and hold your hips still while you make the stroke.
It might just save you £250 on a new putter. :)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Rife Hybrid Mallet fitted with a Winn Midsize grip. I've had it quite a few years now. I've tried others but keep coming back to this. Lovely balance, nice feel off the face. I just always feel most comfortable when using it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still using my Rife Cayman Brac with tropical finish. It’s an absolutely gorgeous thing to look at, and putts quite well too;)
Its been in play since I bought it, quite a few years ago.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Two of my favorites are a 1978 Ram Zebra and a new Cleveland #14. Both are face-balanced mallets.

I also like my Tad Moore Chicopee which is a hickory shafted replica of a late 1920s Spalding model but quite playable.
The Chicopee isn't faced balanced but it is shaft-aligned.

I cannot putt with an offset putter.

My longest canned putt ever was with the Zebra. I was on the wrong half of a double green, these being far less common here than on UK links courses, and dropped it from at least 120 feet.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
A Scotty Cameron Futura X5 has been in my bag 5 or 6 years now. Its the longest I have kept the same putter for. The feel, weight and the look is everything I want in a putter. I have tried many a putter since, in golf shops and putters playing partners have bought. There has been nothing that I have felt since that makes me want to change my putter.

Mike79

Visit site
I’ve had my Odyssey white hot 2-ball in the bag since my parents bought me it back in 2006. When playing regularly it was incredible. Great feel and brilliant roll. I didn’t play golf for a few years and decided to stick a Fatso grip on it for some reason. Long puts were great but I couldn’t do anything on 6ft or less. Took it off and back to a standard grip. Still struggling. But I know it’s me rather than the club. Might try a slightly thicker grip, but more likely a bit of practice and a lesson would do more good.

4LEX

Visit site
Scotty Cameron Squareback II Circle T. Sadly stolen after I got pissed at a mates BBQ after golf and forgot to lock my car :(