What's your favourite putter and why?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Best putter I ever used was a Gauge Design Tera....a rare Japanese midsized mallet that had a wonderful balance and a stunning feel from its milled aluminium insert as well as drop dead gorgeous looks. Bought it in around 2006 used it up until 2013 including winning the Club Championships with it in 2011. Started having a mid life (putting) crisis in 2013 and played around with other sticks but never got rid of the Tera.

Sadly, left it on the roof of my car after being distracted by someone, before driving away from the club one day last summer and unsurprisingly when I arrived home it was no longer on the car roof (but a horrible Taylor Made Spider that I'd also left on the roof at the same time did survive the journey).

If one ever appears on ebay (and I used to own TWO of them...one was treated to a refurbishing project that failed)...then the seller can probably name his price as far as I'm concerned!!!!

Here is a example refinished by Golds Factory in Japan...

Gold's Factory - Premium Japanese Hand Made Putters | 2236 – Gauge Design Tera (goldsfactory.com)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My favourite putter is the one I use now. It is the only putter that I have ever bought brand new. Ben Sayers Opel Line I. Bought in 1989 for £25.
It has won me two club championships over the years. The last time I won one of those I had only 12 putts on the last 9 holes.
It is my friend and it is dear to me.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I have too many putters to have a favourite, but the following would be contenders:

• Spalding, Gold Medal, Model W - A great putter and one of the most forgiving I have
1633366713155.png
  • "It Sits" - Just a great looking putter, that reminds me that I've not used this one yet this year. :eek:
1633366633826.png1633366668004.png
  • Greenway Deluxe - An unassuming putter that just seems to fit me well
1633367274365.png
  • Edinburgh Golf, Rapier - I try and steer away from mallets but this one is too nice to leave out
1633367091949.png
  • John Letters, Golden Goose - I have four of these but this one is hands down the best
1633366968006.png
  • Goudie, SS300 - What a design, I can imagine Flash Gordon using this one

1633366568040.png

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My favourite is a bronze forged 'Yes Callie' . Got it for a steal on ebay. When I'm not putting great my fall back is my Edel e2, which has been in the bag for quite a few years now.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Since the Ram Zebra in the late 1970s, I have preferred face balanced putters,
but more important to me than the face balancing is the shaft alignment with the face.

I HATE offset in putters.

I'm presently playing a Tad Moore Chicopee which is a replica of a late 1920s Spalding model with hickory shaft. It plays as well as anything else for me.

sunshine

Visit site
My favourite butter is beurre d'Isigny. Really creamy and decadent. I love the salted version which has tiny flakes of sea salt embedded, just delicious on fresh crusty bread.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Odyssey white hot #9 centre shaft. Had it around 15 years at least. I used to change putters as often as I changed irons, almost yearly, but this one has been in the bag since the day I bought it.

It got me to the final day of Britain’s Best Putter, hosted by GM and Callaway at the Belfry.

There’s been a whole host of great putts down the years. The best? One of my favourites wasn’t holed. Sat at the back edge of a par 5(18th) in 2 with a 60 foot downhiller with plenty of lumps and bumps in the way. Knocked it to a foot and tapped in for a birdie. A gross 2 under par 70…

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My Ping Anser that I bought in the mid 1970's and have used for almost every round since. I can't hit my hat nowadays but I still putt decently. The aspect I like most is the total lack of sight aids, so I can just assess the line, address the ball, and make a nice smooth stroke.

badgergm

Visit site
Mid 80s Ping Anser. Was a great putter. Decades later, I’m using a Spider bronze with line. I hate the faff but using a line on the ball with the line on the putter is a significant benefit. Means you can just forget about aim and just concentrate on weight and stroke.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The scotty cameron del mar Californian.. it’s nice and simple to look at. It’s back in my bag currently but my problem is I am always looking for something ..
It feels great but it’s not a cheat stick, miss hit it ( yes that happens with putters .. for me) and you get a poor result. I have sunk some pressure putts with it, a 15ft to half on the 17th to take it down the 18th and sink the 5ft to force an extra hole .. that was won with a PW to 3ft and conceded to win the match.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Suppose it depends on the mood I'm in on the day!...
Lucky in that I've got an 80's Ping Anser; 2010 Ping Anser 2; just recently purchased Ping Zing 2 ( been cleaned,buffed,re-gripped,new paint-looks like my old one from 30 yrs ago) and a Wilson Infinite-centre shaft mallet head.
I used to be so decisive but now ? I'm not so sure:rolleyes:
Btw....it's the only part of my game I can rely on(at moment):ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Odyssey two ball. It’s a wand. It is the only club I have in my bag that’s been in since day one. I bought a truss putter last year. What a bag of crap that was. More PR rammel from TM. It felt like I was cheating on my two ball.
once made the mistake of flogging a scotty Cameron for a pal for £25 ?