What's The Big Thing In Golf

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Whats the next big thing?

I think it'll be the rule changes in a years time. While I don't think they're all decided on yet (and based only on the suite that was put out for feedback) I think the play-ability of the game will be much much simpler and in turn playing competitive golf will become more appealing

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Given how many people turn to the internet for coaching, Crossfield, Me and My Golf, Finch and Shiels et al, my guess is the next big thing is enhanced reality coaching.

So the lucky student stands in front of a 3d scanner in the comfort of his own home and swings away.
The swing data is transmitted to the famous coach who analyses the data.
Then the 3d projector in the students house replays the swing, and overlaid are the changes suggested by the coach.
This would be very cool because you could walk all around the projection so you could see the changes from the front and side.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The way people learn the game has seen the biggest change in the last few years. From online lessons to launch monitor numbers and sam putting etc.

I’d agree with this and expand, when I was taught the game it was “Get the ball in play” distance will come later and being taught how to play golf now, listening to Mel Reid on Saturday, she was saying to just get them swinging the club fast and and the accuracy later!

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
The biggest improvement in my opinion is the quality of the actual courses. When I first started playing as a kid in the 60s, fairways were full of weeds, greens were worse than today's fairways and the rough was never cut. Greenkeeping equipment is far better than the tow behind gang mowers of days gone by and although we complain like mad about hollow tining of greens etc., the improvement is fantastic.

Good point 👍 the iron has improved greens for me. Fast slick smooth 😃 gang mowers are a complete waste of time.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
a big thing in golf & the golf teaching industry is more advances in high end 3D swing motion analysis systems & software to be able to show both what actually happens to the club & the body during a golf swing

goin to be some huge ground breaking analysis continuing to evolve in the coming year & years

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The big thing in golf at the moment is membership. Certainly in Scotland club membership has declined and its how it is going to be addressed is the issue. The clubs are doing their best but the really need more support from Scottish Golf but they seem to be in a bit of a shambles at the moment and have had their funding reduced. Add in to that the fact that it still seems to be difficult to make any real inroads into getting more women and juniors playing the game and I would say that's the big thing.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing has changed much but I’ve changed a lot.

I think it’s a way off yet but the rise of 9 holes as the preferred format or a reduction to 12 or 14 holes for a full round.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Homer - great post. Lots of excellent inputs so far.

One other area is around coaching. The use of video technology in lessons to show what is happening during the swing has helped tremendously in getting across what needs to be worked on. Add to this the plethora of online content with pros providing guidance on the swing and various shots has been good for the game.

This might even help to pull younger folks into the game - they seem to look online for just about everything.

Just a thought :)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I’d agree with this and expand, when I was taught the game it was “Get the ball in play” distance will come later and being taught how to play golf now, listening to Mel Reid on Saturday, she was saying to just get them swinging the club fast and and the accuracy later!

You sure that's new Adam, or a quirk of individual coaches? I seem to remember reading about that being the teaching method adopted by Jack Grout when he taught some kid called Nicklaus. Didn't work out too bad...... :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having played for over 40 years some of the changes I have seen have been a bit gradual

When I first started the majority of players carried their bags, next the majority used a manual trolley now the majority use leccy ones, 20 years ago golf buggies were quite a rarity now most courses have a fleet and many players own there own. This has meant the age at which players give up the game and the age at which many start to play has gone up.

When I first started there were still some players playing hickory 'hand me down clubs' now loads play with graphite irons and steel shafts in woods has become a thing of the past.

The introduction of multi layer non wound balls has revolutionised the game for the better players it is now no longer a trade off between spin and distance. Golf balls that used to last a few holes have all but disappeared unless you do not have to pay for them.

Irons have become really forgiving for those that need them but the true reality is that there has been no real improvement in distances gained.

There are other changes for the god .

The one big change for the bad is that 40 years ago a round took less than 3 hours now it is frequently more than 4 hours.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Not sure about a drop to 9 or 12 holes.... a slow 9 is still frustrating....

Cricket has different balls in different regions/competitions, I wonder if that's a goer in golf? Give the pros the same ball to play with that flies less and curves more and send them out round one of the old classics that's currently too short for the Tour. See how that sorts them out!

Dress codes in Clubhouses will disappear, then on the course... (possibly?)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think a big risk to the way we think about and play our shots would be a 'free for all' around distance and other shot-related measurement technology. GPS and laser range finders as we have today are as far as it should go - with constraints around other measurements that can be taken remaining as they are.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think a big risk to the way we think about and play our shots would be a 'free for all' around distance and other shot-related measurement technology. GPS and laser range finders as we have today are as far as it should go - with constraints around other measurements that can be taken remaining as they are.

Totally disagree. Let's give golfers as much information as they require to make a decision. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't make any difference as the skill is in the execution of the shot and no device can replicate that. In my mind, and while I know it's still banned in competitions, but why not give players slope as well. I feel "naked" these days if I leave my GPS at home. Decision making becomes uncertain, it takes me longer to decide my club selection as I have to spend longer working out how far. Even if I knew the effect of a slope on a shot, it still comes down to club selection, execution and we're still all reliant on the bounce and rub of the green

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing has changed much but I’ve changed a lot.

I think it’s a way off yet but the rise of 9 holes as the preferred format or a reduction to 12 or 14 holes for a full round.

I agree, already happened for me. I belong to nice 9 hole club that is great for my son who is 11 and 1 to play 9 holes on once or twice a week and not get in the way of other family life stuff, no way would we get away with 5 or 6 hours of time out. But we can be at the course at 7pm in the summer or 8ish in the winter and be home in time to keep everyone happy.

Of course we can still play 18 if we have time and enjoy the club as well.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Totally disagree. Let's give golfers as much information as they require to make a decision. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't make any difference as the skill is in the execution of the shot and no device can replicate that. In my mind, and while I know it's still banned in competitions, but why not give players slope as well. I feel "naked" these days if I leave my GPS at home. Decision making becomes uncertain, it takes me longer to decide my club selection as I have to spend longer working out how far. Even if I knew the effect of a slope on a shot, it still comes down to club selection, execution and we're still all reliant on the bounce and rub of the green

Aren't they banning green books as of 2019?

Whilst i think a gps/rangefinder is fine, reading the course. Be that puts, lie's and all over variables of the shots required should be player based.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I said years ago that there was a need for more 9 holers and more pitch'n'putt courses.
Keep the main courses for those that want to play the 'real' game but have varying lengths of 9s.
Full length holes can be played as 9 on the main course
My last club has a short par 3 course - short, longest hole is 100 yards, shortest is about 54
But its great fun. The only thing I'd change would be to have a 'Kids' tee about halfway up a couple of the longer holes
Take a couple of wedges, a putter and a couple of balls and you can play 9 in 20-25 minutes solo or just over 30-35 as a 2 or 3 ball.
Weekend afternoons there are more people on the short course than the main one.
Build more short courses to supplement the main courses and give people somewhere to learn the game without being faced with 500 yards of ditches, bunkers and lakes

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I said years ago that there was a need for more 9 holers and more pitch'n'putt courses.
Keep the main courses for those that want to play the 'real' game but have varying lengths of 9s.
Full length holes can be played as 9 on the main course
My last club has a short par 3 course - short, longest hole is 100 yards, shortest is about 54
But its great fun. The only thing I'd change would be to have a 'Kids' tee about halfway up a couple of the longer holes
Take a couple of wedges, a putter and a couple of balls and you can play 9 in 20-25 minutes solo or just over 30-35 as a 2 or 3 ball.
Weekend afternoons there are more people on the short course than the main one.
Build more short courses to supplement the main courses and give people somewhere to learn the game without being faced with 500 yards of ditches, bunkers and lakes

At my 9 hole course we have Red, Yellow and White tees and an additional set of Blue junior tees. They make the longer holes play around 175 yards and the par 3's stay the same so you get a really good balance. My son who has just turned 11 has moved to the Yellow tees for general play but goes down to blues for the junior comps that are off them and it makes a nice change, he managed 2nd in his club champs doing that.

They are also doing Junior comps this year off the men's yellow tees and the adult comps are still off the whites. Makes for plenty of different options for the juniors.