What would you need to 'PLAY YOUR BEST'?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sounds like a quick route to a repetitive strain injury to me. Do you think you are going to get value out of hitting that many balls, even if they were free?
I hit 220 the other night and to be honest towards the end I was smashing them out there for the sake of it as fast as the automatic tee would dish them up. I was pretty tired after hitting that many and I'm stronger and fitter than most (most golfers anyway!)

The issue with paying for balls is that you try to make the most of your money and would VERY RARELY hit 100 (or more) shots to a 50yrd or even 100yrd marker if it's going to cost you £6, so you only ever work on the 'longer' shots. Then get totally knackered and want to die! :D I'd love to be able to hit 2-300 balls per day to 100yrd marker...and another 200 to a 50yrd marker, even if it's only practicing 9-3 drills.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
nothing really stopping you. 50 scrapper balls and a field. surely everyone can find 100 yards to work with if they really wanted to.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
nothing really stopping you. 50 scrapper balls and a field. surely everyone can find 100 yards to work with if they really wanted to.

It's not that Gary.. it's the state of the balls and the state of the club after just one divot. My practice ground is a BOG and although I've been there a few times lately it's really hard work. 200 balls and a mat would suit me just fine.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was just thinking about the 'Play your best challenge' and what it would take for me to literally do that...

Obviously moving to Florida and being a member at Trump Doral is out of the question, as is having Sean foley on my speed dial, but realistically what would you need/want to play your best... in the UK

I would need....

12 gloves
2 boxes of Titleist ProV1x PER MONTH (24 dozen)
Set of fitted Irons
Putter fitting
Couple of hybrids
Driver fitting
2 pairs of shoes
3 pairs of trousers
Windproof jumper
Stand bag
Several hats
Some Waterproofs
Laser Measuring device
Several under armour garments
Winter glove things for the trolley handle
Golf coach with trackman & video analysis available (at least once per month)

am I missing anything? :confused:

Talent :whistle:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
A repeatable swing , a decent shortgame and the ability to focus yet remain relaxed whilst under the gun down the stretch

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I limit myself to 100 at a time or I turn into a ball bashing robot! A range near me once did a groupon deal of 1500 balls for £10. I turned into a range maniac hitting 200 or more!! God I ached!! Plus I got nothing out of it in the end as I ended up just smashing balls, or got into a rhythm and hit it great but then couldn't recreate it on the course!

In the summer I use the course range for wedges to hybrid at most, short game chipping and short pitches and the putting green for well putting. A couple of hours a couple of times a week.

The range seems to get dominated by 7iron and down with some wedges thrown in so I feel like I've done a proper practice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Decent kit, good coach access to a proper short game area (100 yards or so and properly maintained green) someone to clear my head of negative thought and swing thoughts, unlimited range balls. It isn't the amount if time I need to dedicate as I practice as much or as little as I need already but my fear is it becomes such an over-riding passion and quest that ever round becomes more important than it needs to be to prove you are making the progress you think you should be

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Time.........................................................I have the clubs, have the talent , and have the patience.:thup:

I made a promise to myself this season that once the lessons were finished i would be patient and wait for things to settle down and bed in....
I think this year should be a good one with next season with the help of God be even better the fact that iv put in the effort this year....
My last 2 rounds since the lessons and on winter greens and conditions have been Level Par for my handicap and just last weekend gone i played of 3/4 handicap and shot 9 over gross....So there's a slight light at the tunnels end.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Decent kit, good coach access to a proper short game area (100 yards or so and properly maintained green) someone to clear my head of negative thought and swing thoughts, unlimited range balls. It isn't the amount if time I need to dedicate as I practice as much or as little as I need already but my fear is it becomes such an over-riding passion and quest that ever round becomes more important than it needs to be to prove you are making the progress you think you should be

I know you're looking at new kit this year but I guess what you have is pretty good or you wouldn't have it.
I assume you think your coach is good or you wouldn't stay with him.
I don't remember there being a green you could fire at from 100yds but you have a nice practice area and a good green you can chip on to.
I thought you could hit your own balls on the practice area so that's unlimited balls (unless I have that bit wrong?)
Time - as you say - is not an issue.

That just leaves your mind. Whenever you speak about progress it's always the short game and your complete lack of trust in it that seems to be holding you back. That in itself (always talking it down) can be a self fulfilling prophecy.

I know you've read Rotella and use another mind coach's app, so I apologise if this is repeating what you already know but I'll say it anyway as you must be struggling to put it into practice.

If you put a 4" wide beam on the floor and ask people to walk across it it's easy. They do it without thinking. If you put the same 4" beam 40' in the air with no net underneath, a strong fear of failure has been introduced and people become unnecessarily conscious of doing something they normally do all day without thinking about it. They will think about trying to balance and carefully placing one foot in front of the other, rather than trusting that their bodies are amazing bits of kit and already know how to do these things far more efficiently than you can accomplish by trying to control the movements.

Nobody thinks about how to breathe, how to get a forkful of food into their mouth, or how to walk (unless asked to do so in a straight line by a policeman!).

It's the same with golf shots that you are frightened of. You try to consciously control the movements of the stroke with your brain rather than letting your body just do it. Think only of the target and allow your subconscious mind to control the stroke.

Try this if you can.
On a flat surface, set up to play a chip or pitch shot and have somebody roll a golf ball towards you. You have to hit the ball when it gets to you. This forces you to react to the ball rather than stand over it thinking of all the things that can go wrong and having to initiate the stroke yourself.
If you can hit the ball cleanly like this then the problem is in your mind. If you can't then it's technique, but I'd be amazed if you can't after the coaching and practice you've done.

Think about the success or otherwise of the shot as to how well you followed the process and where you had your mind, rather than the result of the stroke.

Sorry to go on a bit

[/sermon] ;)

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was just thinking about the 'Play your best challenge' and what it would take for me to literally do that...

Obviously moving to Florida and being a member at Trump Doral is out of the question, as is having Sean foley on my speed dial, but realistically what would you need/want to play your best... in the UK

I would need....

12 gloves
2 boxes of Titleist ProV1x PER MONTH (24 dozen)
Set of fitted Irons
Putter fitting
Couple of hybrids
Driver fitting
2 pairs of shoes
3 pairs of trousers
Windproof jumper
Stand bag
Several hats
Some Waterproofs
Laser Measuring device
Several under armour garments
Winter glove things for the trolley handle
Golf coach with trackman & video analysis available (at least once per month)

am I missing anything? :confused:

Have most of the above and I still play like a tart.