What would you expect to happen.....

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I look at the card in the same way as a solicitor's Client Account, effectively it's my money that the club is holding on my behalf. However, if some of it is a bar levy, then that's part of my membership fee, and if I don't use it I lose it (or return to drink/eat it). We have competition winnings paid onto our card for use in the Pro Shop or the bar. If I left the club, as an amateur I couldn't have the money, but would be entitled to goods in lieu. If it's money I put on the card, to top it up, then I am perfectly entitled to get it back.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I look at the card in the same way as a solicitor's Client Account, effectively it's my money that the club is holding on my behalf. However, if some of it is a bar levy, then that's part of my membership fee, and if I don't use it I lose it (or return to drink/eat it). We have competition winnings paid onto our card for use in the Pro Shop or the bar. If I left the club, as an amateur I couldn't have the money, but would be entitled to goods in lieu. If it's money I put on the card, to top it up, then I am perfectly entitled to get it back.
That's a good.point,.when I left Canterbury I transferred bar credit to the pro.shop account and spent it there. Expensive but better than nothing

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rather than lose it can you not transfer the balance to another member? When a mate left my old club they allowed him to transfer his balance to my account.

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The other alternative is to stay at the club as a "social" member. No golf, but able to use the clubhouse facilities and attend social functions. That way, my club card balance would roll over into my new membership category and I wouldn't lose it.
Seems a sensible idea as the wife and I did attend the odd evening shindig, and Sunday lunch is quite tasty.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
When I joined a previous club there was a mandatory £50 debenture added to membership fees for the first three years. It was levied to support the club financially with “sundry expenses”. Nowhere in any written document did it explicitly set out that it was non-refundable, but the implication was that was the case.

When I left, largely because of the appalling way the then committee and club secretary belittled or ignored members’ concerns, I requested a refund. Initially the club refused, but when I asked them to point me in the direction of anything which advised members that the debentures were non-refundable, and they failed to do so, my money was returned.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
The other alternative is to stay at the club as a "social" member. No golf, but able to use the clubhouse facilities and attend social functions. That way, my club card balance would roll over into my new membership category and I wouldn't lose it.
Seems a sensible idea as the wife and I did attend the odd evening shindig, and Sunday lunch is quite tasty.
If there’s any chance you might consider re joining in the future there might be another advantage to Social Membership. A few left ours and came back. Social Membership meant no Joining Fee and, I think they were fast tracked through the waiting list, maybe unofficially.

Having said that I’d be cross that a refund isn’t an option for top ups!!

JayB

Visit site
If there’s any chance you might consider re joining in the future there might be another advantage to Social Membership. A few left ours and came back. Social Membership meant no Joining Fee and, I think they were fast tracked through the waiting list, maybe unofficially.

Having said that I’d be cross that a refund isn’t an option for top ups!!

I'd push for a refund, it's not their money and I don't believe they have the right to keep it.

Being forced to spend it at the club isn't acceptable.