What would you expect to happen.....

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It’s your money till it’s spent. It’s lodged with the club to aid their processes and, usually, ensure a discount is applied to member’s purchases, not visitors.

Went through a query like this when on committee about 10yrs back. Legal advice we received was it must be returned to the member. Not to do so is theft.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'd say it depends? On whether the balance was the balance of a compulsory levy, or the balance of a top-up or voluntary contribution. I'd say they keep the former and give back the latter?
We do have a £40.00 compulsory levy, but that was spent ages ago. I've topped my card up quite a few times voluntarily over the past year.
New membership rates have come through, due to be paid on 1st May, and I've decided I'm just not playing enough/interested enough to renew and have emailed club to advise them that I won't be rejoining, which they have responded to, but no mention was made regarding bar card balance.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We do have a £40.00 compulsory levy, but that was spent ages ago. I've topped my card up quite a few times voluntarily over the past year.
New membership rates have come through, due to be paid on 1st May, and I've decided I'm just not playing enough/interested enough to renew and have emailed club to advise them that I won't be rejoining, which they have responded to, but no mention was made regarding bar card balance.
Buy a few bottles of wine with your bar credit.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In which case, I'd expect it back. Given that time is now short, I'd email them - before membership expires - to say you want it back (or, alternatively, at least adequate time for you to get there & spend it on those bottles of wine ...)

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In which case, I'd expect it back. Given that time is now short, I'd email them - before membership expires - to say you want it back (or, alternatively, at least adequate time for you to get there & spend it on those bottles of wine ...)
As it's a Bank Holiday tomorrow maybe their system won't update until Tuesday giving you the chance to spend it!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At our club the bar levy is seen as part of the annual membership fee.
It shows up as a separate amount on your balance.
If you fail to spend it in that financial year you lose it. ( I know of at least one member who never uses the bar).

I do not know what happens but in my mind if you place additional money on the card that is yours and you should be entitled to have it refunded if you leave the club.

One thing with our club is that you do not have to be a member to use the bar so I assume any credit could be used up after leaving over the bar (it can be used for food).

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Club keep it, has happened to me in the past.
Probably worth a call or email to see if they will give you a grace period.

sunshine

Visit site
It’s your money not the club’s. It’s recorded in the accounts as a creditor, ie money the club owes to members. The club has no right to retain it if you leave.

There are loads of examples of this in other industries, eg oyster pre pay cards.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have emailed the office to get clarification on it. Stupid thing is, I stuck £100.00 on it about 3 weeks ago as I hadn't made the decision to leave then.
Having just received the bill for the new season and realising it would be costing me the equivalent of £100.00 or more a round with my current attendance record, that made the decision relatively easy for me.