• B move to the new course, its cheaper Course B

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • C Do both

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was playing a a friends course yesterday and he was telling me they had lost a fair few members who are all from one of the villages nearby in the last few weeks to another local course, mainly to do with a offer of 18 months golf for the price of 12 with another few months free (until start on next season) if they join now.

the course A they were at is a nice Links course which is playable all winter, but suffered with bit of condition after last winters heavy snow in Feb/March, where the course was closed in that time and the hot dry summer has played havoc with the fairways and tee's. But is in the top 100 courses in Scotland

The course B they have all moved to, is in their home town,which is 20 mins away. Was originally 9 holes, but is now 18, the original 9 is a nice layout, but the new holes, not much better than a flat field. is def not in the top 100 courses in Scotland

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Buyers market, they can use their 18 months deal and when club A struggles they will offer new members a deal of around the same, they rejoin and so gain a years membership free.

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
Have voted A - moving to an inferior course to save money in the short term doesnt seem sensible.
If they were of equal standing and i was going to be happy as a long term member of course B, then the offer would be worth consideration - would prob still stay at course A.
After the initial offer will the annual subs of both courses be similar?
Rich

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Buyers market, they can use their 18 months deal and when club A struggles they will offer new members a deal of around the same, they rejoin and so gain a years membership free.
Or they will be stuck with course B because course A has closed due to losing its members to course B. Golf does not in general conform to the supply and demand model as most golf clubs are not set up to make profits.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe it’s more than just the offer, are they all friends or in a sweep of some sort? Sometimes banter or staying with the group is more important than where you play. Not everyone cares whether a course is top 100 or not, it’s the overall enjoyment that counts.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Option D.

Move to another links in the area, Fortrose, Moray, Brora, Nairn, Dornoch etc.

(Just to be awkward!)

However if money wasn't an option why not do option C and have the options of a quick round at your local gaff and if time of the mood takes you head to the top 100 track.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Maybe it’s more than just the offer, are they all friends or in a sweep of some sort? Sometimes banter or staying with the group is more important than where you play. Not everyone cares whether a course is top 100 or not, it’s the overall enjoyment that counts.

I would always take the best course I could afford in all honesty.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This. The course matters but so does the company. I've seen a few groups leave together at courses I've been a member of. One person doesn't necessarily go alone, they go in 3's and 4's.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
no, i don't think so some are mates but they don't all play together as such.

D

Deleted member 21258

Agreed.

Would add maybe they wish to play at a more local course ? Or maybe the links is to busy when they normally play ? or maybe they are waiting for the links course to recover from the summer damage and then rejoin?

Tough call as not aware of all of the facts but I voted B as it is more local and if you play regular, playing more local is probably ideal.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Option D.

Move to another links in the area, Fortrose, Moray, Brora, Nairn, Dornoch etc.

(Just to be awkward!)

However if money wasn't an option why not do option C and have the options of a quick round at your local gaff and if time of the mood takes you head to the top 100 track.
TBH where this is Alness is the nearest course with Tain the next, Moray, Nairn i would suggest for these guys way too far, Dornoch you have to be a member of the Struie for a few years before getting in the Championship.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Agreed.

Would add maybe they wish to play at a more local course ? Or maybe the links is to busy when they normally play ? or maybe they are waiting for the links course to recover from the summer damage and then rejoin?

Tough call as not aware of all of the facts but I voted B as it is more local and if you play regular, playing more local is probably ideal.
its about 10 miles, 20 mins to the first tee, Tain is never that busy, you can rock up most times of the day and walk on TBH

D

Deleted member 21258

its about 10 miles, 20 mins to the first tee, Tain is never that busy, you can rock up most times of the day and walk on TBH

Tain, weirdly was going to send you a PM in the near future.

Only 10 miles, then I would probably vote A or C but if Tain closes regularly in previous winters(rather than just last year), then may well as go for B just for the deal and how close.

From the votes cast so far, it does indicate how the forum members votes do not reflect the real world golf for many golfers, no surprise :eek::D:D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tain, weirdly was going to send you a PM in the near future.

Only 10 miles, then I would probably vote A or C but if Tain closes regularly in previous winters(rather than just last year), then may well as go for B just for the deal and how close.

From the votes cast so far, it does indicate how the forum members votes do not reflect the real world golf for many golfers, no surprise :eek::D:D

The other place was closed just as long i'd have thought and can be wet at times, wetter than Tain that's for sure. I can't really fathom why so many would leave for such an inferior course for a few quid

scratchauthority

Visit site
I think it depends on the golfer as i'm sure most people on here (myself included) would choose A because we value the quality of a course.

However, there is an element of the market where price will rule course quality so will be enticed by these kind of offers but if some of the holes aren't too great in the long term i'm not sure if they will stick with it beyond the initial term.

In the long term though a quality golf course will always win.