What Will Be The Biggest Help To My Game?

tmorrissyswan

Club Champion
Visit site
So here's the deal: I'm a 17 handicapper and have recently caught the golfing bug. I was playing off 21 for a few years and not really that interested but I booked a few lessons in October/November and I quickly dropped 4 shots and had a few rounds of 80/81.

Now I know that lessons and practising, both things that I do regularly, are the most important things for improving your game, but I was wondering what you think of the following and how they could improve my game?

Gap Wedge - So at the moment I have a PW and a SW, that means a 9 degree gap. A full PW for me will go about 110 yards whereas a full SW will go about 60 (I never use that shot). Would a gap wedge be a good solution for the lengths in between?

Hybrid - Similar problem. My lowest iron is a 5 and my next club is a 7 wood. That's about a 30-40 yard gap. Would a 21-24 degree hybrid help?

Finally a Rangefinder - For people who use them? How beneficial have they been to your game?

Thanks

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
TBH I have both in my bag. The hybrid gets used a large amount. I also have a Gap wedge which I use as much as any other of the irons.
I have a tendency to use my PW alot with different length of swing to go different distances, and play alot of these shots without knowing distance but rather guessing and then estimating how long a swing to take, especially now with the softer ground even though I carry Pw, Gw, 56* and 60*.
But for me it depends on each individual shot. I could have the same distance on 4 different shots and use each of the 4 wedges to do it. Depending on lie, obstacles etc.

Wedges are a personal thing to each person. TBH I will likely take the 56 and 60 out and add a 58 in to give me space for another rescue myself still keeping the Gw.

If you are reasonably consistent with hitting the same distance with your clubs almost every time then a GPS or Rangefinder will possibly help you a bit. But I doubt you will see any alteration in hcap. Some see them as a cause for slow play while others like the confidence it gives them to know exact distances.

D_E_A_N

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just get a S1 watch, I love mine, but as previously stated, without knowing what you get from each club any gps/range finder is useless.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
It all depends on where your gaps are at your course. If you are more than 100 yards out on the majority of holes then the gap wedge won't really come into play that often. Using a hybrid off the tee will offer you more acuracy than the driver but if it leaves you too far back to go at the green with your second then it too will have limited beneift. The hybrid, however, can be used for appraoch shots aswell. Getting your handicap down the quickest usually comes from 100 yards in. This makes a real case for the gap wedge! So practice chipping/pitching and the full array of shots needed to get closest to the hole from within this distance. Then get the putter out and practice that! I think I managed to duck the issue quite well there....:lol:

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Forget the GPS as they aren't allowed in competitions and IMO they're a gadget that may be nice to have but will not help your game as you are far better off spending your time on the course/range working out how far you can hit each club in differing weather conditions.

I have a driver, 3 & 5 wood and 4-PW, (46 degrees), AW, (51 degrees), + a 56 and 60 degree set up. I occasionally have to compromise with my longer clubs due to the gap between the 5 wood and 4 iron however in general playon my local course it's not an issue as it's a long course and the wedge gaps allow me to use a 3/4 swing with enough accuracy within 100 yds or so of the hole.

The only problem I have encountered is on courses where I come across 190 -210 yd par 3's, particularly if the green is raised. I sometimes find the 4 iron just short especially if it's cold or windy and the because my 5 wood has a mid to low penetrating trajectory if I haven't got a good run in to the green it can be difficult to float a ball in.

I've may buy a 3 hybrid to cover courses where I may need it and take the 60 degree out of the bag however for now I'm happy with the set up I have

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Each of the points you make have the potential to save a couple of shots a round and are well worth having in your armory.

Ideally you should be looking to have approx 4deg gaps between your clubs which gives approx 10/15yards difference. A gap of 40yards is way to much and you need to fill it. Although depending on your home course it might not be a problem, but it does leave your long game vulnerable.

I'm a 4 wedge man and believe in making full shots whenever possible, i will often lay up and leave a full shot into the green. the reason being is that i practice alot with my wedges and know exactly how far a full shot will go and its much easier to play than a manufactured 3/4 or half shot.

The GPS is also very handy even on your own course. I think it is easily worth a couple of shots a round, since i got mine i am consistently pin high, its not the holy grail, but it is an advantage to know the accurate yardage to front,middle and back of the green and hazards for that matter.

So for what its worth, i think you should get. Hybrid, Gap wedge and GPS, so get saving :thup:

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forget the GPS as they aren't allowed in competitions

A dedicated GPS is ok for competition use unless specifically banned by a local rule.

Pretty much all smartphone GPS apps are not to be used during competition.

Edit: Filling your yardage gaps is a sensible idea but might not effect your handicap. Probably the best/fastest way to bring it down is to get deadly from 100 yards and in and to practice your putting.

Last edited:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forget the GPS as they aren't allowed in competitions and IMO they're a gadget that may be nice to have but will not help your game as you are far better off spending your time on the course/range working out how far you can hit each club

As Phil said, Really? You might want to check that about the GPS. As for spending time on the range learning the distance of each club that the range is the last place I would go. Using your GPS got to a par 5 if you don't have a practice ground and hit ten balls then measure them.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Phil said, Really? You might want to check that about the GPS. As for spending time on the range learning the distance of each club that the range is the last place I would go. Using your GPS got to a par 5 if you don't have a practice ground and hit ten balls then measure them.

Spot on, done this with all of my clubs (summer + winter), hit 10 balls discount shortest/longest, then measure to average of the 8.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some people like to hit full shots with their wedges so laying up is sensible.
The trouble occurs when you end up 50 yds short of the green. Then what do you do?

I can understand why people prefer to hit a full a wedge rather than a 1/2 or 3/4 but I suspect that's because they dont practice them.
Personally, I love practicing those little punch in wedges/9 irons/8 irons and when you have got to a certain standard, I think you'll find them a lot easier to play than a full blooded wedge.

I have never ever had a GW or a LW. My PW is 48 deg and my SW is 56 and I cant think of a short game shot I cant play with them.
Each to their own though

tmorrissyswan

Club Champion
Visit site
TBH I have both in my bag. The hybrid gets used a large amount. I also have a Gap wedge which I use as much as any other of the irons.
I have a tendency to use my PW alot with different length of swing to go different distances, and play alot of these shots without knowing distance but rather guessing and then estimating how long a swing to take, especially now with the softer ground even though I carry Pw, Gw, 56* and 60*.
But for me it depends on each individual shot. I could have the same distance on 4 different shots and use each of the 4 wedges to do it. Depending on lie, obstacles etc.

Wedges are a personal thing to each person. TBH I will likely take the 56 and 60 out and add a 58 in to give me space for another rescue myself still keeping the Gw.

If you are reasonably consistent with hitting the same distance with your clubs almost every time then a GPS or Rangefinder will possibly help you a bit. But I doubt you will see any alteration in hcap. Some see them as a cause for slow play while others like the confidence it gives them to know exact distances.

I'm thinking of getting a 52 degree wedge because my PW is 47 and my SW is 56. I do like to know exactly what distance I've got to the green. As someone said a wristwatch might be the best Idea.

tmorrissyswan

Club Champion
Visit site
Some people like to hit full shots with their wedges so laying up is sensible.
The trouble occurs when you end up 50 yds short of the green. Then what do you do?

I can understand why people prefer to hit a full a wedge rather than a 1/2 or 3/4 but I suspect that's because they dont practice them.
Personally, I love practicing those little punch in wedges/9 irons/8 irons and when you have got to a certain standard, I think you'll find them a lot easier to play than a full blooded wedge.

I have never ever had a GW or a LW. My PW is 48 deg and my SW is 56 and I cant think of a short game shot I cant play with them.
Each to their own though

I'm the same. I love hitting half a 9 or even 8 rather than a full wedge. But I also find it more consistent to hit full shots.

tmorrissyswan

Club Champion
Visit site
It all depends on where your gaps are at your course. If you are more than 100 yards out on the majority of holes then the gap wedge won't really come into play that often. Using a hybrid off the tee will offer you more acuracy than the driver but if it leaves you too far back to go at the green with your second then it too will have limited beneift. The hybrid, however, can be used for appraoch shots aswell. Getting your handicap down the quickest usually comes from 100 yards in. This makes a real case for the gap wedge! So practice chipping/pitching and the full array of shots needed to get closest to the hole from within this distance. Then get the putter out and practice that! I think I managed to duck the issue quite well there....:lol:

this is a good point. At my course you are often left with around 180 to the green, which means a hybrid would be good. On a few holes with a good drive you're left with under 100.

tmorrissyswan

Club Champion
Visit site
Each of the points you make have the potential to save a couple of shots a round and are well worth having in your armory.

Ideally you should be looking to have approx 4deg gaps between your clubs which gives approx 10/15yards difference. A gap of 40yards is way to much and you need to fill it. Although depending on your home course it might not be a problem, but it does leave your long game vulnerable.

I'm a 4 wedge man and believe in making full shots whenever possible, i will often lay up and leave a full shot into the green. the reason being is that i practice alot with my wedges and know exactly how far a full shot will go and its much easier to play than a manufactured 3/4 or half shot.

The GPS is also very handy even on your own course. I think it is easily worth a couple of shots a round, since i got mine i am consistently pin high, its not the holy grail, but it is an advantage to know the accurate yardage to front,middle and back of the green and hazards for that matter.

So for what its worth, i think you should get. Hybrid, Gap wedge and GPS, so get saving :thup:

Sounds good to me. However I'll stay away from my 60 degree wedge... hit it fat too many times.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
My GW and my 3h are becoming "go to" clubs for me. That may have something to do with the lay out of our course as there are a lot of par 4's that are either very long or very short.

I know Bobmac is not a great fan of having too many wedges but to me having a club between my PW and SW is no different from having a club between my 8 iron and my PW.

I agree with Bobmac that learning to play a variety of shots with your wedges is the way to go especially as from 70-80 yards in these shots are as much about about feel rather than just making a full swing but it's just that I happen to like playing those shots with my GW rather than PW or SW.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I like the GW. It means I don't have to hit a the 58 too hard or try and take too much off a PW. I have spent a lot of time getting the distances sorted and I am actually pretty good from 100 yards and in and laid up exclusively to 80-100 yards at FoA and since with better results.

For me a GPS is also a huge help, not only on new courses but on my own especially close to the green so I can be sure of the exact distance and which wedge is best. Also, something like a Sky Caddy will give you distances to various points which for me and my erratic driving means I can at least plot a safe course back onto the hole I should be playing

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have softened a touch recently.
If you have one of these new 43 degree wedges and a 56 SW, a GW is handy to have.
My clubs are just old and weak lofted.