What was your first set of irons?

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
A set of Titleist DTRs and a Great Big Bertha driver. Nice clubs given to me by a Uni mate and the irons lasted me 15 years or so. I recently switched to a set of new Cobras but don't have the heart to get rid of the old set

sunshine

Visit site
First set was a half set of Slazenger California

Me too - mine were from Argos.
Then filled the gaps with Slazenger Accupower irons and woods.
First full set was Dunlop DDH.
Replaced them with some TM RAC irons, they were the first quality irons I had. Don't care what people think of TM, I had them 10 years and they were really nice.

Last edited:

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saved up all the money from my paper round and bought a brand new set of Mizuno Astron irons, loved them and got me down to single figures. Actually, thinking back that was the last set of irons i bought new!

YandaB

Visit site
Had a mixed set of hand me downs from my dad, mainly Goudie I think. When the heads started flyiing off when playing shots having rusted from the inside, I started buying single replacement clubs. Given that I only played 3-4 social rounds a year and I wasn't overly rich I would buy one at a time of the cheapest available. I cannot remember the exact brand name but it was something like "clubs" and had a picture of the king of clubs from a card pack. When I started playing more regularly about 10 years ago they kept me going until I lost one and used that as the excuse to get some brand new ping i25s which I still have.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My first irons were Ping G10’s. Amazing clubs to learn with. They’re still in my garage and I was shocked to recently learn that they still go for around the figure I paid for them second hand 14 years ago. Don’t think I’d ever get rid as they hold too much sentimental value.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My first set of woods (driver, 3w and 5w) were Greentree laminated woods I bought in my late teens. They were cheap and probably 'not very good', but they were a set, and I was dead chuffed with them. Still got the driver somewhere I think.

peld

Visit site
After nicking a few Donnay clubs off my mate at university to start, I think my first proper set were a set of Nike Slingshot clones. I then changed to Srixon I-403s which i had for a long time (partly because I never played).
When I started back again about 4 years ago i got a set of Wilson D7s. I flirted with a set of JPX900 Tours for a couple of months (about the start of lockdown) before going back to the D7s.
About 18 months ago I got a set of Sub70 699s which I still play.

So not many sets across about 18 years

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My first irons were Ping G10’s. Amazing clubs to learn with. They’re still in my garage and I was shocked to recently learn that they still go for around the figure I paid for them second hand 14 years ago. Don’t think I’d ever get rid as they hold too much sentimental value.
I've got Ping G10 3&4-irons and i10 5-PW. They were the last brand new clubs I bought and my current set. No "sentimental" value to me yet, merely incredibly good monetary value compared with any decent brand new clubs today. They do the job for me and I will not be replacing them any time soon. HI = 3.0, by the way.

Zig

Visit site
Mizuno Astrons... £80 quid second hand from a local driving range. Replaced shortly afterwards with some Ben Sayers M2I (free 2 iron... while I struggled to break 95!!) replaced shortly afterwards by my first real set.
Taylor Made LCGs,
step free shafts,
and I was in love. :love: