What was your first set of irons?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Dunlop Blue Flash Juniors 3, 5, 7, 9. I think that was 1973.

Before that I had cut-down hickory shafted mashie and mashie-niblick with wound leather grips. I still have the mashie-niblick.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A Dunlop starter set from sport and soccer. Full bag, irons and woods. Once I'd played a bit and knew I would be taking it more seriously, got some Mizuno mx17 and never had anything but mizuno irons since.

phillarrow

Visit site
So it looks like most of you started with blades, but now you don't think you're good enough to play them? o_O

That's exactly what happened to me!
Went from the Johnny Millers to a set of Maxfli Revolution, which I adored and which I was using when my handicap went from 24 to 11. They coincided with me getting obsessed though so maybe I'd have got better anyway?

Changed the Maxflis six years ago to Ping G irons but am now really tempted to go back to more bladed irons because the Pings are just a bit meh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

As a junior I had a half set of Ben Sayers blades.
My first adult sized clubs were Howson derbys.21B13157-0B4C-4AEC-B678-0DCF2CAB1586.jpg

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Spalding excellence, still got them. 3i to sand wedge and 1, 3 & 5 woods too.

Saved all my pocket money and bought them from makro of all places. Bought the evens first, then the odds - I was so happy with myself. How time flies eh!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sadly it was a loooooong time ago and I gave up golf for a good 15 years in between, but they were petron something or other. I seem to recall the 1 wood being a Mitsubishi, would that be right?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Sadly it was a loooooong time ago and I gave up golf for a good 15 years in between, but they were petron something or other. I seem to recall the 1 wood being a Mitsubishi, would that be right?

Irons were probably Petron Impala and the 1 wood would be by Mitsushiba.

wjemather

Visit site
Started with a cheap no-name half set of cast blades out of the classifieds. Had to strike the ball well with those. Replaced them with a second hand set of Yasuda SP-1800s after a couple of years.