What was your first set of irons?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Petron Impala Blades

The pro at the muni where I first played sold each club singly. He recommended starting with just 5 clubs, I went 4 wood 6,8, PW SW, and adding one club each time I felt confident to put another in the bag I eventually had a set 2-SW, driver, 3 and 4 woods. Kept them for over 9 years, longest period I have ever own a set of clubs.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Petron Impala Blades

The pro at the muni where I first played sold each club singly. He recommended starting with just 5 clubs, I went 4 wood 6,8, PW SW, and adding one club each time I felt confident to put another in the bag I eventually had a set 2-SW, driver, 3 and 4 woods. Kept them for over 9 years, longest period I have ever own a set of clubs.

Lullingstone used to sell the impala irons individually and I was looking at them when i first started

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Petron Impala Blades

I got at set of Impala blades and a 3 and 5 wood as a half set. Had to cash in my post office certificates (showing my age). Mum and dad then added driver and the rest for Christmas and birthdays until I had a full set I traded in

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some Mizuno blades that were whatever Mizuno were making in 1986. No idea of the model. Traded them in for some Wilson Staff Progressives that got me into Cat 1. Full blades from 8 iron to wedge with the rest being cavities. Only moved them on as I wore the grooves out on the short irons.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started when I was 14 so it was just a half set of randoms then. When I got to 17 or 18 my dad bought me a package set by Slazenger, from JJB Sports I think. So it had driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, irons 3 to pitch, plus a sand wedge and putter - also a bag and two-wheel trolley. So the year would have been around 2003-ish. No idea how much it would have cost.

When I got back into playing regularly, in 2016, I used those for a little while but then got a set of Callaway Warbird irons. I only kept them for about a year before upgrading to the Steelhead XRs I still use now.

AAC

Visit site
Back in the mid 70's my first 'set' we Macgregor MT Tourneys, I used to buy one club at a time, as and when my old dog had retrieved enough lost balls for me to sell so I had enough to buy another club. Started with a 7 iron if i remember correctly.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I think the first ones I bought myself were the original Wilson Fat Shafts.

DCB

Visit site
I started with a bag of "hand me downs" of indistinct lineage. After starting work I managed to get a set of second hand Greentree Lee Trevino irons and a 3 + 5 wood. The 5 wood had a head only slightly larger than the ball. Played with these for a few years before buying my first brand new set.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a set of Ben Hogan clubs, with matching bag (that weighed a ton!) Bought them form a guy in the pub, did know him so not as dodgy as it sounds! Looking back, it was a wonder i could hit the woods as the driver was smaller than a modern hybrid. Only used to play very occasionally and got rid of them when I became more involved in hockey coaching. When took up the game again about 10-12 years ago I went to AG and got a RAM set. I must have been the salesman's dream as I just went in and said " I want to play golf, what do I need?" Came out with clubs, shoes, clothing, balls, tees, gloves -all the gear and no idea :cool:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Some Mizuno JPX's of some form! Had them off a mate, who had them off his brother...

Great clubs, only changed for a new set because they were a bit short for me!

Would like a set of Mizunos again one day!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A rag bag of mongrels, no two clubs the same make. The 5 iron had punch holes rather than grooves.

First new set of irons were Wilson 1200 GE, first good set Mizuno Pro Originals.
This was me...except all the irons were punched face and driver, putter and jigger were hickory shaft. And my fairway wood was a brassie. The bag was canvass on a steel frame and it weighed a ton. My first set were late 1960s stepped sole Macgregor Tourneys I got for my birthday in 1976.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I had a set of hand-me-downs Wilson staffs that belonged to my brother when I was about 12. I then replaced these with a set of hand-me-down Callaway X12 steelheads off my boss for the occasional hack.

The first irons I bought myself was in 2020 and they were a set of second hand SGI callaway razr X HLs.

The first new irons I bought were my JPX 921 forgeds that I got last year and love.

RichA

Visit site
I had a set of hand me down Max Faulkner Avenger bladed irons and persimmon woods from my uncle. He was tiny. I've been 6'2" since I was 15. An interesting start to my golfing journey was complicated further with a gifted graphite ladies Wilson 3-wood from a neighbour. She was a 6' tall ladies captain at Hollinwell GC, so that probably better matched my stature, if not my ability.

jmcp

Visit site
Dunlop Peter Thompson irons (wish I still had them) Ben Sayers Big Ben junior driver and a Max Faulkner Pinseeker 4 wood.

cheers, John

D

Deleted member 21258

A cheap bag set from Argos. They were quality, dead fell off fairly quickly, so obtained a refund.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Ping ISI K - 3 to SW
I borrowed some of my dads clubs prior to that to play a couple of Par three courses around Nottm - My fave was always Ramsdale Par 3. Was still using the Pings until a couple of years ago when I traded up for some new ones.