What type of golf club member are you

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

What type of golf club member are you

• Total voters

Vokey

Banned
Visit site
I’ve normally got plans for after golf, whether it’s going for a long walk, shopping, diy/jobs around the house etc, spending time with my wife, it’s a fair trade off for spending 5-6 hours away from her on the only 2 days of the week we get off together. So, I always stop for a couple of drinks but never food. Especially not on a Sunday because the family come round and we have a roast dinner.

Hope that doesn’t mean I should be charged more 🤣
It absolutely does.

50% increase

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Other. Over the last couple of years I’ve been at the clubhouse for hospitality much more often than I’ve played golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m an ’other’. 3-ish on Saturdays (rarely have food after).

But during the week I will often pop in to my club late morning for a coffee or hot chocolate and a chat, with no intention of playing - though I’ll sometimes also go for a range session. If my Mrs is away to her mum‘s up North I’ll often have breakfast or lunch at the club, sometimes both…and again often I’ll not play.

I mix and match my use of my golf club to my circumstances on the day and with or without course or range sessions. I’ll go to the club most days I can.

Plus my club is an excellent venue for the Burns Night function I’ve organised a few times, and that I’ve booked the function room for next 25th Jan. I have the club do a three course dinner as part of the ticket price.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Please leave the accusations at the door.

I'm not having a go at anyone at all. I am suggesting rewarding the loyalty of members who put their hard earned moolah behind the bar and those that enjoy the car park lifestyle should pay a premium.

It really is simple, the more you put in the less you pay.

We'll be having electric charhing points fitted soon. Who pays for that?
Nope. The cost of the clubhouse should be covered by those who use it. If it can’t be funded then close it.

Why should I fund your daycare centre?

Albo

Visit site
lol excellent I’m all in on number 1!
I am a member of a golf club to… well, to play golf. That’s what I do.
As for the wind up merchant, I don’t know what you people get out of going for bites, but you obviously find some sort of enjoyment in it, so well done.
Though if I were to be charged for not using the club house I’d happily take my custom elsewhere. It’s well documented that I don’t see myself as a member of a club, more a customer of a golf course, that won’t change

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
What if you've already got a clubhouse?

I know your pleasure is old golf clubs, so instead of coming in with dramatics, Stick to chomping round the course with your old clubs and leave the sensible conversation alone.

Big man been on the shandy tonight? Precious.

Vokey

Banned
Visit site
lol excellent I’m all in on number 1!
I am a member of a golf club to… well, to play golf. That’s what I do.
As for the wind up merchant, I don’t know what you people get out of going for bites, but you obviously find some sort of enjoyment in it, so well done.
Though if I were to be charged for not using the club house I’d happily take my custom elsewhere. It’s well documented that I don’t see myself as a member of a club, more a customer of a golf course, that won’t change
You've missed the point. Those who use the clubhouse will be rewarded.

Those who just use the car park pay a premium.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always play early at my home club before the catering opens so it is sometimes only coffee from the machine. My other club is a distance away so tend to play late morning and is usually a lorne roll and coffee before playing. Both clubs either a coffee or soft drink after the round.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Combo of 1, 2 and 3 depending on the circumstances
We normally play early so the clubhouse isn't open but we generally have a late breakfast after
When we play later we do it in reverse
Sometimes a snack and then a more substantial one after..
Sometimes, if time doesn't allow, then it's car park golf.

Make the venue attractive enough and people will use it.
You shouldn't have to force people to ...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Depends on why I’m at the club. If it’s an evening practice it might be a carpark visit, equally I might have a beer afterwards. If it’s a saturday comp, I’d be there early and it might be a coffee and a bacon roll or a full breakfast then play. Afterwards it would be a couple of beers + food. Sometimes, Mrs H will come down and make a full evening of it with the guys and their better half’s. I’d also use it Friday around 5pm. A few of us would drop in for a beer/natter/snooker. Some weeks it might be two or three 5pm visits, and I might miss the odd week.

How others use the club is entirely up to them. They’ll have their preferences and commitments, and as long as their subs are paid there’s no issue.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Closest to 3 at current home club, but I think its the club that's primarily responsible for how its players behave, i.e its gotta have the clubhouse, kitchen & bar open, a decent range/warm up area. And staff on to provide these services (if you build it... etc)

I want to be there early for my weekly game and I'm gonna be there post round for F&B. Luckily the home club facilitates that

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I voted 3 as it is the nearest choice to what I actually do.

Turn up early for coffee and a natter, play, have coffee (sometimes something stronger), sometimes share a bowl of chips and have a natter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I believe this sort of survey was done about 10 years ago and there was a lot of “car park” golfers but I think over the years more and more seem to be using their facilities more

In our swindles we have no one that doesn’t come up for a drink even if for 10 mins

For those that do just play and then leave

What do you do In comps - do you not even pop up for a drink with your playing partners etc

Albo

Visit site
I believe this sort of survey was done about 10 years ago and there was a lot of “car park” golfers but I think over the years more and more seem to be using their facilities more

In our swindles we have no one that doesn’t come up for a drink even if for 10 mins

For those that do just play and then leave

What do you do In comps - do you not even pop up for a drink with your playing partners etc
I don’t play in comps, so it’s not a thing for me personally.
But if I do find myself playing with a stranger / other club member, yes, I would thank them for their time and company, get in my car and leave