What percentage of money taken from competition entries is "kept" by your club?

RichA

Visit site
I'm a member at a smallish proprietary club (about 200 members) on a course owned by a local family company.
The course and club are parallel but financially separate.
Competition entry fees and prizes are small and, as far as I'm aware, the owners are more likely to be adding a bit rather than taking it away.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Proprietary Club

20% - but all goes to keepsakes, trophy engraving and funding golf club things that benefit members. (PSI etc.)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Between 15 and 17%....the money goes on engraving, licensing fees for comp management software, updating honours boards, consumables, supporting club teams (shirts, food for players in matches) and providing support for comps where a loss is traditionally made, there is also a donation made to the social events committee to help fund entertainment events.

MACM85

Visit site
We don't have a percentage. It is what is left over from participants.

Yesterday midweek medal there were 17 players. Each pay £3

Winner of the 2 division get £10 on their bar card. Runners up get £5

So £30 paid out in total. £21 left over to go into the members account

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We pay out 100% of entrance fees into winning members' accounts. The cost of engraving, honours boards etc is included in general club overhead expenditure

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My away club take 100% for most competitions, not even a sleeve of balls for the winner when I played yesterday’s competition.
60-70 playing.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We pay out 100% of entrance fees into winning members' accounts. The cost of engraving, honours boards etc is included in general club overhead expenditure

Exact opposite of my away club 😡 I’d be better off just submitting a general play score and save £3

ntommo

Visit site
£3 per comp. £1 2s, £1 sweep and £1 to handicap committee for various things then any left over goes to club. Generally about £1000 - £1500 to the club but this is usually spent on something for the course. Generally only have around 2000 entries into comps through April to September

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Around 16% goes towards engraving, computer updates and sometimes to subsidise Presentation Evening re guest speaker.

The Pro takes around 33% from his midweek competitions. Like most competitions if members do not like the prize fund available they are not obliged to enter.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are a Golf Club playing on a proprietor's course. Our annual subs are calculated & collected by them & cover the cost of playing on the course, fees to all agencies (EG, Local Unions etc), updating Honours Boards,(more than 20 of these) replacing & up-dating PSI screen & Comp & BRS Software etc.
All Comps are run & managed by the Club with Men's & Woman's run separately. Comp entry fees for Men include TWO's entry.
Men pay £5 pp to the Club, to enter all Comps whether individual or Team. No 2's are paid in Team events, as more people are paid prizes.
In individual Comps, £1 goes to pay TWO's (a fixed sum of £12 per two is paid)
72% of the remainder is paid as prizes. 28% is used for Trophy engraving, replacement, some momentoes, to subsidy men's team shirts & to fully play for men's Team meals to cover both home & away (Scratch, Nett, Tigers & Rabbits + a £6 subsidy to Seniors Home & Away food bill). This year the Comp fee increased from £4 to £5 to help cover the increasing cost of engraving & food for Men's teams.
The Men & Women Treasures present their reports to the AGM.
Very interested to read how these go for other Clubs as we're beginning to hear complaints that some men are playing in Teams but not entering many Comps that help support the Men's Teams' costs.
I guess the big question is "Should members in Teams be required to enter a certain number of Comps in order to justify their selection for the teams" Many of them would say "Well I'm happy just pay for the cost of the meals etc rather than being required to enter Comps & Two's Clubs I have no interest in. I'm beginning to see that there is a massive variety of expectations in Golf Club membership & a lot of problems with some of the expectations.
What is folks' take on this??

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Around 16% goes towards engraving, computer updates and sometimes to subsidise Presentation Evening re guest speaker.

The Pro takes around 33% from his midweek competitions. Like most competitions if members do not like the prize fund available they are not obliged to enter.
That sounds a very big 'take'.... what does it cover?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A lot. I think 70%. And just 30% or so back in prizes, varying slightly depending on a given weeks entries as the prizes remain the same.
They justify it as effectively a premium charged for playing at the prime time of the week - Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Pro gets nothing from the entry fee, but makes money on the twos comp, where all twos payout is proshop credit.