What part of your game are you working on?

gary996

Visit site
Interested to hear what most people, if anything, are working on in their game?
I decided at lockdown that I was going to work on not coming over the top and hopefully gain some distance. I was kind of on the right lines but had a couple of lessons this month and seeing huge improvements in my ball striking already. Next step to see the rewards on the course!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ball striking ..
Seeing the club hit the ball following through to a high finish .

Improved outa sight club yardage is back and hitting it so straight .
Short game next week before qualifiers

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Pitching - I've never been good from 50-20 yards off the green and am very deliberately trying to sort it out. Had an hour or so on the practice ground the other day which has helped a lot, just need to do it consistently on the course.

My putting too isn't great at the moment - distance is fine but hardly holing anything from outside six feet. So much so that I went looking for my thirty odd year old Ping B60 before going out tonight. Couldn't find it so the Scotty has got a reprieve for the moment.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pitching - I've never been good from 50-20 yards off the green and am very deliberately trying to sort it out. Had an hour or so on the practice ground the other day which has helped a lot, just need to do it consistently on the course.

My putting too isn't great at the moment - distance is fine but hardly holing anything from outside six feet. So much so that I went looking for my thirty odd year old Ping B60 before going out tonight. Couldn't find it so the Scotty has got a reprieve for the moment.
Don’t be so hard on yourself have a look at the tour average from outside six foot.
They practice hours a day ,play everyday ,coaches etc .
So we should not be so self defeating, it will be back soon.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really like that phrase. Golf is meant to be fun, not work. :D

But in terms of things I'm going to be focussing on over the next few rounds:
  • Following the discussion in my recent thread about stats, I'm going to try and get up and down more. Main focus is actively trying to hole the chip and runs rather than just thinking about rolling them up close, as this should mean less occasions where I leave it 6 feet short, hopefully. Just a mindset change which I hope will be positive.
  • New 5 wood has been really good off the tee, so time has come to give it a try off the deck as well. Would be a big plus if I can add that because I've never been able to hit a fairway wood off the deck to any sort of playable level.
  • Ongoingly, I'd like to improve strike so I hit ball then turf a bit more, but this might be something that won't happen without the hours of practise I don't put in. So it's just kind of at the back of my mind, when I'm hitting irons particularly.
  • If I could hit driver well for a whole round instead of just 50-60% of one, that'd be great too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Working on a couple of swing changes from a lesson

Pitching

Chipping

Bunkers

To be honest I am seeing dividends in most areas and all in all my game isn't in too bad a place. Short game has always been weak so need to keep working on that

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After a lesson with Paul Foston, chipping, pitching and definitely putting. It's clear to me that I could save more shots per round if I improve,say 10% in those areas than I could in whatever improvement I could make from a 10% improvement in my long game.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Interested to hear what most people, if anything, are working on in their game?
I decided at lockdown that I was going to work on not coming over the top and hopefully gain some distance. I was kind of on the right lines but had a couple of lessons this month and seeing huge improvements in my ball striking already. Next step to see the rewards on the course!

This is my norm, had pretty much ironed it out before lockdown. Then about 4 weeks ago it crept back in overnight after I randomly changed my swing plane for some unknown reason. Just about starting to get back to where it was after identifying the issue a lesson a couple of weeks ago.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i have a a reg lesson with a pro maybe once every two months or when something goes wrong and recently started doing stretches to gains some flexability but i don't really practice . when lockdown came i got a net.. a disaster, without seeing the ball flight or distance, i just ingrained a swing fault.

taken me a month almost to lose that, i pref just playing TBH

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With exception of the range and the putting green can only be used prior to a players tee off time the all our practice facilities are closed. So no opportunity to do what I normally do which is to concentrate on my short game.

Just happy to be playing at the present.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I joined a club for the first time ever mid-May, after a few years of playing perhaps 5-10 times a year as a nomad.

So I'm now playing much more often - once or twice a week.

Realising that it's like learning to drive a car; so many things to focus on. Striking the ball cleanly, pitching and chipping, and putting. As well as learning how to play my way round a course to manage a score and how to make good decisions. When one thing starts to click, something else seems to go to pot away! Two steps forward one step back!

Probably have another month or two of just enjoying it, then take a few months to have a series of lessons and put in the practice before submitting cards for my handicap. At the moment, it'd be around 30, but sure I can get that down.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Since we have returned to golf I have spent no time on the range, just half an hour on our short game area, and a couple on minutes on the putting green before each round. The result is by far the best golf I have played.

i am just keeping one swing thought in my mind. All this suggests to me that we tend to overanalyse and that at its heart the game is simpler (I don’t mean easy) than many would have us believe.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since we have returned to golf I have spent no time on the range, just half an hour on our short game area, and a couple on minutes on the putting green before each round. The result is by far the best golf I have played.

i am just keeping one swing thought in my mind. All this suggests to me that we tend to overanalyse and that at its heart the game is simpler (I don’t mean easy) than many would have us believe.
I've always thought that! Or tried to have that approach anyway. Some people really overcomplicate it. Most of golf is in your head, often a simple mindset or attitude change is all you need.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Last night when out for 18 it was chipping and putting.

Chipping was still pretty rubbshi so need to get on practice ground for that - not going to be able to sort that when playing.

Putting I really focussed on, and I holed a stack load of good par-saving putts. And the difference to my score was 4-5 shots as I made up for my poor chips and some less than marvellous approach shots.

If I allow myself the messing around on last after we'd won our little 4BBB match on 17 - I was 3 under my handicap. Without the putts I would have been over handicap - but within my buffer zone. I won't hole every round as many par-saving putts as I did last night - but if I improve my chipping a bit I wont have to.

So I must work on my chipping.

yes - I know I will have to think differently when the new handicap system comes in.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me it is just coming less from the inside, 7* is where I am at, trying to get to 2-3* at worst. Made a huge difference to my game!

Chico84

Visit site
Ball striking. I’ve not practised at all during lockdown and haven’t had a chance to get to the range and as a result my swing has gone to pot. In particular I seem to be topping a lot of shots, which is soul destroying out in the course. It’s great when I do hit them and they are reasonably accurate but it’s no help if I lose at least a shot before topping it 15 yards along!

That, and if course my ever present driver turbo-slice.