What makes the perfect golf club website?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
We dont use it though, manual sign up sheets on the locker room wall. Process works fine imho (if you cant get up there you can phone and someone will add you, if you miss the sign up sheet, turn up on the day and you'll get a tee time allocated either if theres a no show or at the back), works very well, no need to change imho

Hehe old man attitude!

Never been to the sheet and it not be full. For those who can be there the moment it goes up they get the pick of the times. I would play comps if I could book in online.

Also I think we moved from HDID to some other thing didnt we. results show on HDID but I think the system we use is not that now.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Up to date info on home page about course conditions- in winter the first thing pro doesin morning is put if trolleys are allowed or not.

I thought Bobmacs suggestion for showing people in photos rather than empty bar empty course was good. And show a range of ages atc

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Right.............

It needs pictures, good high quality pictures especially of attractive people playing golf and at the bar etc etc

sprinkle some matures around in the background but if you have pics of dishevelled 'old boys and gals' it would put me off even as a visitor.

Course pictures and card essential- flyover video using a RC camera sets you apart and isnt difficult or costly to do these days.
Decent font, easy and logical navigation buttons.
Downloadable forms for Opens or membership etc.
Uncluttered- less is more.

bang up to date information including a pro shop section with daily deals.

and lastly but importantly pictures of attractive people(yes I know I've said it already) at various ages. You HAVE to sell your club these days, you cannot go on assumption, name or past reputation as todays golfers have probably never heard of you or your 'history'

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If your talking perfection i like
Hole flyovers
Online booking.
Course condition, including speed of green
Current weather
On course webcams

One thing i do think lacking on many sites is lack of pictures
And a scorecard

I really like websites that have an overhead plan of the course, each hole numbered, and direction clearly labeled
When you click on the chosen hole it brings up pictures, yardage and some general blurp on how to best play the hole

OwainJ

Visit site
More great feedback thank you.

Out of interest, how important do people feel the 'members only' section of club sites is? Do you use it often? If the site had all the relevant information on the main site, and a newsletter management system was incorporated for contact details etc, would there be much need?

Also, would a club forum be appealing? Mainly for arranging rounds etc?

Thanks again

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

Out of interest, how important do people feel the 'members only' section of club sites is? Do you use it often? If the site had all the relevant information on the main site, and a newsletter management system was incorporated for contact details etc, would there be much need?

Thanks again

No, no need as you say to have a separate area unless there are thing that are just for members. As for a forum, I always thought it would be a good idea but actually when it come to a golf club can too much communication be bad? Golf people tend to moan a lot about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. There are usually communities for this sort of thing.

OwainJ

Visit site
No, no need as you say to have a separate area unless there are thing that are just for members. As for a forum, I always thought it would be a good idea but actually when it come to a golf club can too much communication be bad? Golf people tend to moan a lot about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. There are usually communities for this sort of thing.

Yep understand what you mean Alex- airing dirty lining in public etc.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Thanks again

members only section is very important.

Log in with passcode and there you find all your handicap stats, print of a handicap cert, find a member and contact details, see what games you have booked and how each knockout comp is progressing etc etc

A club forum is very appealing as a good way to discuss club situations and maybe swap/buy old clubs, unless the pro objects!
A forum however needs moderated constantly or it could have serious repercussions.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I remember seeing a site with a blog/weekly update from the head green-keeper on course condition, forthcoming plans and advice for players or requests he had of the membership which was all really interesting

D

Deleted Member 1156

Online booking is a must!

No it's not.

The most important thing for me is good quality pictures of the course and hole descriptions so you can decide if it's a course you'd like to play before making the journey. Also if the course has them, clear information about any open competitions.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Web cam of the first tee would be good, and various other parts of the course, check how busy it is before travelling!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
No it's not.

The most important thing for me is good quality pictures of the course and hole descriptions so you can decide if it's a course you'd like to play before making the journey. Also if the course has them, clear information about any open competitions.

Super random post!!! I was asked MY opinion. I am not answering what I think you think would be good! The question is what makes a PERFECT.... can it be perfect without online booking. I use it every week so for me its a must!... No its not.... random.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Super random post!!! I was asked MY opinion. I am not answering what I think you think would be good! The question is what makes a PERFECT.... can it be perfect without online booking. I use it every week so for me its a must!... No its not.... random.

Guess the perfect website will never exist then because an essential thing for you is an absolute no-no for me! Turn up and play works better for me than planning days/weeks in advance.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Don't like members areas....whats so secret about who won the last medal, what your h/cap is or your phone number ?

Bob, have you ever looked at the Queenwood website? You can't even get into it with a password :eek:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guess the perfect website will never exist then because an essential thing for you is an absolute no-no for me! Turn up and play works better for me than planning days/weeks in advance.

Well clearly but why is it actually a no no for you? ie you would rather it was not put on a web site?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Please no picture of the crusty old captain in blazer and tie on the front page, so cheesy.

Easy to navigate visitors section with rates and times to play.

Club diary showing when the tee is busy for the upcoming few weeks, but also access for the remainder of the year.

Always hole by hole photos and explanations

Membership rates published - hate it when you cant find out what it costs, even if you cant afford it!

Bar menu and prices (with pictures of bar staff if attractive:D)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Well clearly but why is it actually a no no for you? ie you would rather it was not put on a web site?

All the best times get booked up soon as the booking goes live 8 days in advance, I often don't know until the day if I'll be able to play. By then it's too late to book a time. My previous club had no booking system and there was never a problem. My current club only uses a booking sheet for competitions, I think that is a pretty good compromise.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
All the best times get booked up soon as the booking goes live 8 days in advance, I often don't know until the day if I'll be able to play. By then it's too late to book a time. My previous club had no booking system and there was never a problem. My current club only uses a booking sheet for competitions, I think that is a pretty good compromise.

Ah I see. We have free tees for members before 11, so turn up and play and booking after that.