What makes the perfect golf club website?

OwainJ

Visit site
Hi there,

We are a web design company in the process of building a website platform for golf clubs. It would be great to hear from the golf community as to what they see as the most important parts for a club site?

We intend to include a membership management and payments section in the platform, saving volunteers and staff vital time.

Also, if your club is in need of a new site we would like to offer the sites FREE of charge. Please message me on here if you would like to know more.

I look forward to hearing your feed back.

DCB

Visit site
Now, if you actually did something new, that might be of interest, but, several major providers are already doing just what you propose ;)

In answer to your question...... some one who has the time to keep a site up to date and current :D

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Make it appear friendly and inviting. My biggest bug bear is the prominence often given to things you can't do and wear. So for example instead of saying 'visitors are not allowed on Weekends', say 'We would love for visitors to try out our excellent course and they can book tees times from Monday to Friday by blah blah blah'.

A new web site may also be the catalyst or opportunity for the club to review things like dress codes and possibly modernise them a bit?

Also up to date course condition is a must.

Last edited:

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Hi there,

We are a web design company in the process of building a website platform for golf clubs. It would be great to hear from the golf community as to what they see as the most important parts for a club site?

We intend to include a membership management and payments section in the platform, saving volunteers and staff vital time.

Also, if your club is in need of a new site we would like to offer the sites FREE of charge. Please message me on here if you would like to know more.

I look forward to hearing your feed back.

Depends if the clubs in question base their business more on guests or members. Guests will probably be looking for obvious sign posting to a course guide, green fees, location map etc, with a nice pic on the homepage probably a must for the golfer undecided on where to play.

Members on the other hand will want a things like a news section, social calendar, competition updates, shop deals etc.

Personally, I like the simplicity of something like this: http://www.sunningdale-golfclub.co.uk/

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Depends if the clubs in question base their business more on guests or members. Guests will probably be looking for obvious sign posting to a course guide, green fees, location map etc, with a nice pic on the homepage probably a must for the golfer undecided on where to play.

Members on the other hand will want a things like a news section, social calendar, competition updates, shop deals etc.

Personally, I like the simplicity of something like this: http://www.sunningdale-golfclub.co.uk/

So do I, till I saw the green fees for visitors :eek:

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Important stuff:
A card of the course including pictures - everyone likes to see what they will be playing.
Club history.
Club policy - nobody wants to look like an idiot when they turn up
Deals and offers - cheaper to play at certain times or food and golf offers
Ability to contact key staff - secretary, proshop, greens committee, bar and catering
Membership rates and green fees.
Links to selected partners - important for local business.
The rest you can make up - not being funny, if you're a web design company then you must be pretty new in the business to ask what people are looking for. That's your job!
If you look at the classic golf clubs (like the one posted above) then you get the picture.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
The reduced visitor rate for personnel of the emergency services is laudable, but "the clergy"?

Actually, the estate on which the course stands was once owned by St. Johns College, Cambridge (I think they still own a sizeable estate in that area). The link harks back to their religious connections.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty of up to date information for visitors. Clear layout with good pictures of the course. For members, up to date news, scores etc. As others have said many companies are already producing top quality sites so unless you have something revolutionary you'll entering a crowded and competitive arena

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Clear text - not stupid colours that cannot be read in ambient light.

Easy page links

Everything Up-to-date- especially course info.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought the Vale is on HDIDO ?

Can book online through that

We dont use it though, manual sign up sheets on the locker room wall. Process works fine imho (if you cant get up there you can phone and someone will add you, if you miss the sign up sheet, turn up on the day and you'll get a tee time allocated either if theres a no show or at the back), works very well, no need to change imho

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So a note about events 'happening' 18 months and more ago should have disappeared - http://www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk/news/

I never said ours was ideal or held it as some sort of shining beacon. No idea why the need for anyone to take exception or look for any excuse for a dig. Becoming childish and boring especially as it says its "news archive"

Last edited: