What makes the perfect golf club website?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I never said ours was ideal or held it as some sort of shining beacon. No idea why the need for anyone to take exception or look for any excuse for a dig. Becoming childish and boring especially as it says its "news archive"

Er....Crap! That was under 'News'!

That was an example btw - there are plenty more that are the same! Don't be so sensitive (and childish and boring!)! It's no dig - just an example of what should not be there as it sends a bad impression!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Three news articles. Big box saying news archive and on the right and if you click on those it brings up the self same stories.....

Well that's pretty stupid of itself!

It's not a specific criticism btw. It happens many other sites as well - but shouldn't!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No idea why it seems such a big deal to you. It's functional without being a first class example. Plenty of other more relevant details for visitor and member alike

It's no big deal!

It's just such a stupid thing to have - and potentially gives a bad impression of the club!

You don't happen to be the 'web site manager' by any chance do you?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's no big deal!

It's just such a stupid thing to have - and potentially gives a bad impression of the club!

You don't happen to be the 'web site manager' by any chance do you?

No I'm not. To be honest, it is tucked away at the bottom and the home page itself contains all the relevant and up to date information and the tabs at the top will direct visitors to the areas they'd need. Don't think the new at the bottom would be the first port of call when all the other details are so clearly tabbed at the top. Like I said, I never said it was perfect but don't see you nit picking anyone elses on here. Why Royal Ascot in particular?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Make sure the site runs quickly & smoothly on a smartphone and across the various browsers... but that's web design 101 stuff

Too many sites don't match the advances in web design with the slower advance of connection speeds. Too many sites with non-static pages, but if it takes an age to load... but that's web design 102 :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
People using the course/facilities.
And not just seniors.
Show pictures of younger members playing the course, using the bar/restaurant and information/pics of any junior coaching.
Too many websites show pics of empty courses, empty bars and when you click on restaurant link, you get a picture of a plate of food.
And if they do show people, the majority are over 60. Not exactly attractive to the 25-35 age group looking to join.
Show pictures (lots of them) of all age groups enjoying the club and project a happy atmosphere to the potential visitor/future member.
And not forgetting pictures of the staff.
Not just the 'officers' of the club, the people a visitor will be dealing with....manager/pro/bar staff.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
clean and crisp, not overly fussy. If its fussy and old fashioned, thats how i think the actual club is.

Dont like roll over menus, a simple click through sub menu option is much easier.

Lots of images as people have mentioned, of the course, the shop, the bar, even the car park and the entrance from the road.

My course has added fly over videos of the course, these are very good!

Clear pricing, for visitors and membership pricing.

How about a web chat box with the pro shop? someone is always there just selling coke and mars bars, why not get them communicating. Also links to their social media (which are regularly used!!!)

I could go on,

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
People using the course/facilities.
And not just seniors.
Show pictures of younger members playing the course, using the bar/restaurant and information/pics of any junior coaching.
Too many websites show pics of empty courses, empty bars and when you click on restaurant link, you get a picture of a plate of food.
And if they do show people, the majority are over 60. Not exactly attractive to the 25-35 age group looking to join.
Show pictures (lots of them) of all age groups enjoying the club and project a happy atmosphere to the potential visitor/future member.
And not forgetting pictures of the staff.
Not just the 'officers' of the club, the people a visitor will be dealing with....manager/pro/bar staff.

Top post there sir, thoroughly agree with it. Again this is probably a personal bug bear but I don't like the ones where you get lots of pictures of old blokes in nasty blazers. As any young person looking at it must be thinking , no way granddad, if that's what golf is then I'm not bothering.

OwainJ

Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. We hope to have a test site live in the next 4-6 weeks and we would love to work with a club on the initial test phase.

We are focusing on making sure the sites look professional and are appealing to all demographics.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Must be fully responsive in todays mobile world!

Oh yeh, forgot that! good luck getting it to work on every available phone and tablet with the correct scrren size etc. i have heard this is a nightmare for web guys.. but i agree, it must work on a mobile device too!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Actually leaving aside the overall layout the more I look at the Sunningdale site the more errors I find, typos, incomplete links, out of date info and the pro-shop section is a complete amateur hash bash

Shame really but useful for the OP to see some easily avoidable traps

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Read my posts (21 in particular)! Without the blinkers!

I did but it still hasn't answered the question. Why choose that one when there are so many you could have chosen and having done so decided to find fault, when like you say so many you could have picked fault with. As an example in another thread Phil the Frag was moaning about having trouble finding stuff on Farleigh Court (sorry Oddsocks) but you didn't dive in and pick fault. Clearly an attempt to illict a response and pick fault for the sake of it. If not why be so specific

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Any chance the off-topic stuff could be kept to PM please

(and no the irony of posting this isn't lost on me)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I did but it still hasn't answered the question. Why choose that one when there are so many you could have chosen and having done so decided to find fault, when like you say so many you could have picked fault with. As an example in another thread Phil the Frag was moaning about having trouble finding stuff on Farleigh Court (sorry Oddsocks) but you didn't dive in and pick fault. Clearly an attempt to illict a response and pick fault for the sake of it. If not why be so specific

To be fair I looked at your site too as you and Dave are the only two on this thread with your club website listed on your signature. It is truely awful compared to what is out there these days. If you put a link to your club in a club website discussion, people are going to look. Dont be so defensive, there are other members of ascot that didnt get their knickers in a twist and feel the need to argue.
For Parity, Daves club site is a bit ott with its backgrounds/colours used as some of the writing disappears as a darker background image loads.
For me, Portmarnock and Ballyliffin have two excellent sites with Ballyliffin really pushing for worldwide exposure using social media and attending travel expos etc.