What makes the perfect golf club website?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hehe old man attitude!

Never been to the sheet and it not be full. For those who can be there the moment it goes up they get the pick of the times. I would play comps if I could book in online.

Also I think we moved from HDID to some other thing didnt we. results show on HDID but I think the system we use is not that now.

Sorry mate thats rubbish, when you sign on the sheet doesnt dictate what time you get and Ive never seen a full sign up sheet (and if there is it just means another page will be added later). Even if you only sign up late on and need a specific tee time Dave will sort that out for you. There is no pick of the times at all but they will accomodate you always even if you can only play early or late for eg

What youre asking for is non drawn comps sign ups, which for me would be a hugely negative and backwards step from the current selection of comps (the majority drawn but some free format ones too).

Is not being able to register for the comp online really the reason you dont play many comps?

And yes we use HDID for results but the tee system is BRS (and failing to work imo)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All the best times get booked up soon as the booking goes live 8 days in advance, I often don't know until the day if I'll be able to play. By then it's too late to book a time. My previous club had no booking system and there was never a problem. My current club only uses a booking sheet for competitions, I think that is a pretty good compromise.

How many of the booked times are no shows, how you deal with that shows if booking is a positive or negative thing for your club.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Don't like members areas....whats so secret about who won the last medal, what your h/cap is or your phone number ?

so why dont you publish all your personal info on this thread the same as a members area if its not secret and the planet can access it?
Home tel number
Work tel number
address

lets see how many spam websites your details are signed up for:rolleyes:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
so why dont you publish all your personal info on this thread the same as a members area if its not secret and the planet can access it?
Home tel number
Work tel number
address

Yep have to agree. Great to have details available but has to have a degree of security. Shouldn't be on a general access website

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry mate thats rubbish, when you sign on the sheet doesnt dictate what time you get and Ive never seen a full sign up sheet (and if there is it just means another page will be added later). Even if you only sign up late on and need a specific tee time Dave will sort that out for you. There is no pick of the times at all but they will accomodate you always even if you can only play early or late for eg

What youre asking for is non drawn comps sign ups, which for me would be a hugely negative and backwards step from the current selection of comps (the majority drawn but some free format ones too).

Is not being able to register for the comp online really the reason you dont play many comps?

And yes we use HDID for results but the tee system is BRS (and failing to work imo)

I'm a little lost? All the sheets I have seen have tee times on them.... How else would people know what time to come? Every time I get to a sheet I have to go as reserve so no extra tee time added and differing reports about how being a reserve works. Sometimes told to turn up early and wait for a spot (I would never do that) and sometimes told it's ok to come late and join the back, but don't that all the time.

It's not THE reason I don't play many comps but it's a reason. My time is not my own, if I can't make a proper plan.... And my plan would always be to take the last possible tee time! Then it's pretty hard to be motivated to get up and at it.

If I am correct and the sheet has times, if it were online I would log on on Monday morning, get my 10.59 tee time and rest easy for the week knowing my plan. Why would a system like that be worse than the current one?

D

Deleted Member 1156

if it were online I would log on on Monday morning, get my 10.59 tee time and rest easy for the week knowing my plan. Why would a system like that be worse than the current one?

The problem is you loose all flexibility. If your plans change for some reason and you have to play earlier or later, chances are all the times will be booked and you don't get a game.

My club in Scotland had a decent compromise. They used a start sheet for Saturday medals played in 3 balls. The sheet went up the week before and you could book 2 of the times in advance but the 3rd time in every slot was kept clear for people turning up on the day. Seemed to work pretty well as gave people the option to book a week ahead or decide to play on the day.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally high quality and well taken photos, early morning or late evening will entice players to play. If you didn't know that it was Sunningdale posted earlier I think majority on here would want to play the course just through seeing the photos alone. I don't agree that people/players should be in the photos, as that detracts the eye from what should be selling to the punter.

Simple clean layout with all the info, online Open Comp bookings, and no advertising banners or pop ups or repetitive information either.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't like members areas....whats so secret about who won the last medal, what your h/cap is or your phone number ?
I don't want my phone number on display, so I get even more junk calls. Being a member of a private club, I want my details :mmm:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm a little lost? All the sheets I have seen have tee times on them.... How else would people know what time to come? Every time I get to a sheet I have to go as reserve so no extra tee time added and differing reports about how being a reserve works. Sometimes told to turn up early and wait for a spot (I would never do that) and sometimes told it's ok to come late and join the back, but don't that all the time.

It's not THE reason I don't play many comps but it's a reason. My time is not my own, if I can't make a proper plan.... And my plan would always be to take the last possible tee time! Then it's pretty hard to be motivated to get up and at it.

If I am correct and the sheet has times, if it were online I would log on on Monday morning, get my 10.59 tee time and rest easy for the week knowing my plan. Why would a system like that be worse than the current one?

the sheets with the times on are the drawn start sheets (not sign up sheets), the sign up sheets are on the wall in the locker room (if you look this weekend youll see one for august medal, one for penny cup and one for club champs). sign up there and get allocated a time on the sheets youre talking about in the hallway about a week in advance of the comp (when you sign up can ask for early/late etc etc)

As for getting the last tee time you'd have pretty much a 50/50 chance of playing with me, im almost always in the last group or 2 (as the comps sec knows i like a late tee time) :)

Youre not correct the sheet doesnt have times when you sign up, where it would be worse is that people would be able to choose who they played with in each comp, rather than being drawn with different people each time. Best part of playing the comps for me is getting to play with a whole host of different people over the year

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem is you loose all flexibility. If your plans change for some reason and you have to play earlier or later, chances are all the times will be booked and you don't get a game.

My club in Scotland had a decent compromise. They used a start sheet for Saturday medals played in 3 balls. The sheet went up the week before and you could book 2 of the times in advance but the 3rd time in every slot was kept clear for people turning up on the day. Seemed to work pretty well as gave people the option to book a week ahead or decide to play on the day.

Ours are nicely flexible too, if you dont get a time but turn up on the day then you will get slotted in if someone hasnt turned up or a group or two extra will be added on at the back, everyone who wants to play in the comp will get a game

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Home tel number
Work tel number
address

Well done for quoting details I didn't mention and missing out the ones I did :mad:
I didn't mention any of the above, except maybe a mobile number.
And as for my personal info it's all on my website
Any I dont get any more spam than anyone else.
And if you are worried about your security, is your name, address and telephone number not in the phone book? :confused:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well done for quoting details I didn't mention and missing out the ones I did :mad:
I didn't mention any of the above, except maybe a mobile number.
And as for my personal info it's all on my website
Any I dont get any more spam than anyone else.
And if you are worried about your security, is your name, address and telephone number not in the phone book? :confused:

as you have clearly forgotten your post you said you didnt like members areas, I stated members areas have all the following and quoted it. No need to get your panties in a bunch!

p.s what's a phone book:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

Our members area doesn't contain any personal details - ie address or phone numbers etc.

Mainly has a members forum , links to HDIDO , various members news and blogs and deals.

Any new website must look clear , smart , simple, visually standout , easy to use , no clutter , portray your message and sell your club

Not many websites do that ( including ours )

Cork2020

www.golfermanager.com
golfermanager.com can be used for golf societies. It also has an iOS/Android app to enter scores and post them back to the website. It makes managing a golf society a lot easier.

OwainJ

Visit site
Do you think that you could improve on my club's website as per the link below???

Hi, I have dropped you a PM about the website. We have some mock up's on how the site will look that I can send across.

Thanks to everybody that provided feedback. When we undertake any project we look to speak to those directly involved in the area and this was the perfect platform to do that.