What is USGA standard?

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
As I browse various golf course/club websites a lot of the newer courses seem to claim “built to USGA standards/specifications” particularly for their greens.

However I’ve never heard of them outside of this, and why does a course in Romford Essex claim that it’s of a USA standard rather than EGU, or R&A??

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I browse various golf course/club websites a lot of the newer courses seem to claim “built to USGA standards/specifications” particularly for their greens.

However I’ve never heard of them outside of this, and why does a course in Romford Essex claim that it’s of a USA standard rather than EGU, or R&A??

Do you happen to be talking about crowlands? I am unsure why but the greens normally are of excellent standard round there.. the course itself isn’t but the greens could be taken to any decent course around the area and prob improve them

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Do you happen to be talking about crowlands? I am unsure why but the greens normally are of excellent standard round there.. the course itself isn’t but the greens could be taken to any decent course around the area and prob improve them

Specifically that was exactly the site I was on at the time the thought occurred again, but it's a general thought as I've seen it a lot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would doubt that any 'newer' course would have their greens built to anything but 'USGA standard'.

Our 1988 built 9 hole course has greens constructed this way. Our 18 hole course built in 1907 relies upon natural drainage. During most months you would barely spot the difference as the 18 hole course is on a sandy soil.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Originally, prior to the introduction of irrigation systems, greens were constructed with a clay lined 'bowl' below the surface. This was designed to retain water as a reservoir in case of drought conditions.
Once automatic sprinklers became available this method was no longer needed. However many older courses still have the original construction (with sprinklers) because it is too expensive to rebuild the greens. The USGA spec greens tend to drain better in very wet weather.