Powakaddy dilemma, what to do?

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got a powakaddy freeway with lead acid batttery that’s about had it. I think when a couple of weeks I forgot to charge it after playing didn’t do it any favours. It’s getting on a bit now and I’ve already replaced the motor once for a reconditioned one.

So, need to make a decision, what would you do? Almost certainly not going outside powakaddy brand as I have the winter wheels already. Play once a week, never do 36 holes in a day.

# new lead acid battery for current trolley.
# new lithium battery for new trolley.
# buy new FW3s with 18 hole lithium including free bag, also got a free carry bag thrown in. £449
# as above but 36 hole battery. £499
# buy new FW3S with 18 hole currently for sale near me by private seller £322
# something else?

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally I'd go lithium battery.

Depends how often you play and your budget. Look at Hillbilly and also Powerbug, good alternatives to Motocaddy and Powakaddy.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If the existing trolley is on its 2nd motor I think it's probably time to put it out to grass and get a new one.
Does the new one from the private seller come with its warranty..?

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the existing trolley is on its 2nd motor I think it's probably time to put it out to grass and get a new one.
Does the new one from the private seller come with its warranty..?

says so yes, still a bit anxious if anything goes wrong, tempted though.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I'd just buy a new one or if you can find a pro selling an ex rental for a good price I'd take that, they usually renew rentals every year

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get a new lithium battery. The Freeway is so simple there is virtually nothing to go wrong. It also looks a lot sturdier than the newer compact versions. Had mine 8 or 9 years now only replaced the battery in that time, might get some new wheels as the tread on mine have won smooth.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get a new lithium battery. The Freeway is so simple there is virtually nothing to go wrong. It also looks a lot sturdier than the newer compact versions. Had mine 8 or 9 years now only replaced the battery in that time, might get some new wheels as the tread on mine have won smooth.

yeah, crossed my mind and like you say they are seemingly indestructible.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got a new lithium battery when my lead acid started playing up, it’s been great no issues at all. Shop around you should get a good deal.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
FW3 with the bags thrown in would look like the best deal.

I wouldn't go down the lead acid route. See if you can part-ex your current trolley against the FW3 deal!

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Exactly...My Freeway is over a decade old, bought two new wheels which were under £50 and a Kinetix Lithium(36 hole) for £125. Gave the old girl a quick clean and squirts of WD40 and it runs better than it ever did.

New trolleys with all the gizmo's are great for the first few uses, after awhile you probably won't even use or notice them no more.