Is Swing speed increase achievable ?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was on a launch monitor yesterday trying out new Ping drivers and various shafts.
What didn’t surprise me was that I didn’t hit them any further than my existing 5 year old Cobra driver 😮

My driver swing speed was 82mph, which equated to 210 - 215 yardish drives - my normal distance anytime I’ve measured actual drives on the course under normal conditions.
I‘m wondering if any of you have actually increased your swing speed and by what method ?
Another few mph would be most welcome.

I’d like to avoid buying snake oil but if there are genuine methods / proven aids then I’m all ears 👍

Its achievable in at least 3 ways

Appropriate fitness training

Optimising swing technique (kinetic sequence) if not already optimised. The best way to optimise technique for swing speed may vary with age, strength, flexibility, injuries etc as if u cant achieve the 'ideal' sequence knowing what 'rules' to break can help

Equipment such as losing 27g or more in shaft weight

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Strike has the biggest relationship to distance in my opinion. Learn to hit the middle of the face and then build it up from there. A powerful swing is built from the big muscles, not from a wristy flippy swing.

Below is a picture of Jamie Sadlowski's downswing.
Not many people hit the ball past him

luke-donald-image-2-987602354nnnnnnnnn.jpg

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
did you look at any of the Project 175 videos from Neil Tappin on the GM feed. Lots of helpful ideas and practical tips on there for increasing swing speed.

Visit site
2 years ago, I thought there must be a way of using the body and muscles to maximum affect, without resorting to hitting the gym, I don’t have the time to go and have never been a gym person.
I enrolled in Tathata Golf program and completed the whole course which looks at body movement and how to use the body and engage the bigger muscles throughout the swing. It’s quiet an eye opener and a different way of looking at using the body.
it’s changed the way how I use the body and with the right shafts I’m now hitting the ball better further and with more consistency.

Read more at https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/t...-achievable.103451/page-2#dGMOpQ3oekvLLP4u.99

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.
I must get a video of my swing and have a look to see if I have the 90 degree angle , I’m thinking I don’t.

I’ll maybe buy a swing speed radar and have a serious go at gaining a few mph, i think I need the radar to see if I am actually gaining mph.
I‘m tempted by the Speed sticks but £200 seems a bit steep for a punt ??
Must have a look at the links provided and jot down some pointers to help me put a training regime together to go through over the winter months.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.
I must get a video of my swing and have a look to see if I have the 90 degree angle , I’m thinking I don’t.

Try this drill...........
Sit on a comfy chair with a tennis ball in your hand.
Now try and throw the ball with no wrist hinge.
Then throw the ball again with a full wrist hinge.
I think you'll see a big improvement

jmcp

Visit site
Hey Waitforme,

do you play with a fade/slice that could be costing you some distance ?
Was your 210/215 distances at a driving range in this freezing cold weather or indoors at a simulator ?

Since I know how fit and strong you are, I am very surprised at the 82mph driver swing speed, are you confident that was accurate ?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I have got a swing caddie which says my swingspeed is 85 - got to 90 on a couple of occasions.
I am coming up to 77 yrs old. Trying to be consistent in transition. This is my problem, how to come off the top without casting.
If I get the right shoulder under the chin is when I hit it best.Getting the belt buckle to turn left enough is the problem too. Flexibility gone, though I'm not overweight.
Any tips, drills?

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m 60 , 5’ 7 and 10 stone soaking wet , but fit and active - cycling / hill walking / golfing .

Jmcp , was inside on a launch monitor - Greaves Sports in Glasgow. I think it was accurate as the distance the monitor gave was consistent with what I see on the course under normal conditions.

ive bee told in the past I’ve got an easy swing - maybe it’s time to not have an easy swing a give it some wellie 😳

I completely understand there is is no point in having a thrash at the ball , it’s got to be controlled and sequential for it to work.

ill try the tennis ball throw Bob , will be interesting to see the difference.

User20204

Visit site
I’m 60.

Thank you.

In reply to swing speed increase, I'm afraid to say I don't believe at your age you are likely to yield any noticeable results in my opinion. You may well be able to maintain your current speed if you continue to remain fit and healthy but one thing you have no control over is the biological clock and unless you set about a programme of steroid growth (which I certainly don't advice) then you will weaken with age.

Gary Tough must be about your age, speak to him, see what he thinks. (of course that implies you know who Gary Tough is)

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Below is a picture of Jamie Sadlowski's downswing.
Not many people hit the ball past him

View attachment 28581
Totally agree. He probably middles it more than the average amateur. Swing speed + strike = distance. That is si. Ple physics!! The average player will gain more distance on average by hitting the middle of the club rather than increasing swing speed. Most amateurs will find more problems by trying to increase their speed unless under proper instruction. Poor speed is often a result of a poor sequence somewhere earlier in the swing

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have got a swing caddie which says my swingspeed is 85 - got to 90 on a couple of occasions.
I am coming up to 77 yrs old. Trying to be consistent in transition. This is my problem, how to come off the top without casting.
If I get the right shoulder under the chin is when I hit it best.Getting the belt buckle to turn left enough is the problem too. Flexibility gone, though I'm not overweight.
Any tips, drills?
I'm starting to feel a bit inadequate , age 73.:cry:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why not swing the heck out of it, who cares where on the face you hit it, and get used to swinging it as fast as you can.
Then reign it in a bit, and you will probably middle enough, but with a faster swing speed.
Slowing down even more in order to middle it is just accepting getting slower, and slower, and slower.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Why not swing the heck out of it, who cares where on the face you hit it, and get used to swinging it as fast as you can.
Then reign it in a bit, and you will probably middle enough, but with a faster swing speed.
Slowing down even more in order to middle it is just accepting getting slower, and slower, and slower.

I think there’s something to be said for this.

I don’t know golf very well, but this is exactly the approach one takes when trying to learn thrash/death metal guitar pieces.

If the piece is at 160 bpm, but you can only play it 120 bpm, then try for a while at 130. You won’t get it down well, but then when you move to 125, it feels easy, and you’ve gained 5 bpm.

Now try at 135, fail for a day or so, then move back to 130, and it feels easy. You’re now 10bpm faster.
Keep going, and in a couple of weeks, suddenly you’re playing along to Metallica at full speed.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m 60 , 5’ 7 and 10 stone soaking wet , but fit and active - cycling / hill walking / golfing .

Jmcp , was inside on a launch monitor - Greaves Sports in Glasgow. I think it was accurate as the distance the monitor gave was consistent with what I see on the course under normal conditions.

ive bee told in the past I’ve got an easy swing - maybe it’s time to not have an easy swing a give it some wellie 😳

I completely understand there is is no point in having a thrash at the ball , it’s got to be controlled and sequential for it to work.

ill try the tennis ball throw Bob , will be interesting to see the difference.
Try a bit of yoga, you will build core strength and increase flexibility.. and there are a few other benefits as well.
The core strength will give the stability and help the big muscles. The stretching keeps everything loose and fluid.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Wasn't the teaching mantra from a few years ago "learn to hit it a long way then learn to hit it straight"?