Is Swing speed increase achievable ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i've learn't to get a bit more lag in my swing over the last couple of years and despite decrepitude and my clubhead speed dropping slightly, i'm actually hitting the ball the same distance and sometimes further... don't hit it faster, hit it better;)

Springveldt

Visit site
My dad has gained about 8mph using this
I've gained around 6mph with Superspeed Golf and I only did it for about 10 weeks, it definitely works. I stopped during the season though as it was knocking my timing out and I was playing some garbage golf, even worse than normal. Even although I haven't been doing the drills I've still kept most of the speed I gained.

I'm going to start up again if this rain ever stops as need to do it outside as I don't have enough space inside. Going to look like a right nutter in the back garden in the dark, neighbours will probably think I'm nuts.

Springveldt

Visit site
Why not swing the heck out of it, who cares where on the face you hit it, and get used to swinging it as fast as you can.
Then reign it in a bit, and you will probably middle enough, but with a faster swing speed.
Slowing down even more in order to middle it is just accepting getting slower, and slower, and slower.
I think there’s something to be said for this.

I don’t know golf very well, but this is exactly the approach one takes when trying to learn thrash/death metal guitar pieces.

If the piece is at 160 bpm, but you can only play it 120 bpm, then try for a while at 130. You won’t get it down well, but then when you move to 125, it feels easy, and you’ve gained 5 bpm.

Now try at 135, fail for a day or so, then move back to 130, and it feels easy. You’re now 10bpm faster.
Keep going, and in a couple of weeks, suddenly you’re playing along to Metallica at full speed.
That's basically the science behind Superspeed Golf. You train your body to go faster by swinging out of your shoes with 2 clubs that are lighter than a driver and 1 that is heavier. You also train the non-dominant side which strengthens the muscles that you need to slow down.

Before starting I was around 98mph with a driver and I'm now at around 104mph on a "normal" swing. Going after one I can get it to 109mph but the strike suffers and it doesn't go any further. Swinging at my old 98mph speed feels like I'm not even trying anymore.

It's steep at £200 but honestly it works really, really well and is worth it. There is a great thread on MyGolfSpy with guys that have tried them as well and even older guys in their 60's and up are gaining speed using them.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Follow @fit_for_golf on twitter and I can recommend his 12 week off season program for anyone who is serious about improving fitness, flexibility and speed for golf. Needs 3 sessions a week, about an hour each. It's a mix of stretching, lifting weights and speed exercises and is fantastic.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
I have one. I don’t like it at all I’m afraid.

The grip guide lumps and ridges are for someone with much smaller hands than me, so I can’t grip it properly.

The bend in the shaft throws the whole feel way out of whack for me. It feels absolutely nothing like swinging a club. I tried for a week or so, now it’s sat gently rusting in the garage.

Of course, just my opinion, I’m sure there are people who like it...

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think Mark Crossfield did a recent youtube where he was using "swing speed golf" training aid which is much closer to the super speed golf but with interchangeable head from the looks of it.

Appears to be about £80 cheaper coming in at just over £100. No idea how good/comparable the two products are but do look a very similar concept.

Springveldt

Visit site
Was browsing the web as you do when I came across this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PGA-Tour-Swing-Weight-Training/dp/B000JLY22W/ref=cts_sp_3_vtp

So, it's a shaft (with trainer grip) which has interchangeable weights which look similar to those on the more fashionable systems. But they've knocked a 0 off the price. Has anyone got one and can comment on why it's so much cheaper?
I've got that, I think it's more to help you coming over the top as the shaft has a bend in it with that big weight to give you the feeling of the club falling behind you. It also gives you a false sense of security for swinging indoors since it's shorter. I wiped out the living room lights with it one morning before going for a Saturday comp. Had to call into Wilko's on the way home to replace it and put up the new one straight away.
I think Mark Crossfield did a recent youtube where he was using "swing speed golf" training aid which is much closer to the super speed golf but with interchangeable head from the looks of it.

Appears to be about £80 cheaper coming in at just over £100. No idea how good/comparable the two products are but do look a very similar concept.
That one looks pretty good but I'd get tired of switching the weight over. I'd rather just cough up the extra £80 to save the hassle.