What is the difference between a fade and a power fade?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Fade on the left (pull fade)... Power fade on the right (push fade).....

image.gif

No one in their right mind would aim down the middle and hit a PUSH fade as it would be heading straight into the right hand rough, so you have to aim down the left side so you have room to 'push' it.

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So a pull fade is longer than a power fade ? As it covers more distance with small deviance to target line. And surely backspin kills roll unless you mean by off axis it is actually top spin ?

A

Alex1975

Fade on the left (pull fade)... Power fade on the right (push fade).....

image.gif

No one in their right mind would aim down the middle and hit a PUSH fade as it would be heading straight into the right hand rough, so you have to aim down the left side so you have room to 'push' it.

Funny that people think its a slice/swing fault....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So a pull fade is longer than a power fade ? As it covers more distance with small deviance to target line. And surely backspin kills roll unless you mean by off axis it is actually top spin ?

No, the pull fade is shorter in a sraight line.

No golf shot has top spin, they all have back spin.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Draw spin is backspin too.
The ball spins backwards, always, except when you top it...
If you think of a straight shot, the shot has backspin and if you drew a line through the middle of the ball through the spin axis the line would be vertical. A draw has back spin but the axis of rotation is tilted to the left. A fade has back spin but the spin axis is tilted to the right.

A

Alex1975

To me a slice starts straight or right and goes more right, it does so because of bad movements in the golf swing, over the top or weight back and flipping. A fade is played for, its started left and played to the center or slight right.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So to conclude a draw and a "power" fade only differ by what side the back spin is on ?

Yep. That's the difference. Just the way the tilt of the spin axis leans. It's not side spin as such, but off axis backspin. It can be expressed as side spin, that is how some launch monitors display it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
A fade is when I hit it out to in, the ball starts left and gently moves back to the middle. A power fade is when my ball starts down the middle and then turns right after 120 yards..... neither of which are done intentionally :)