• Augusta doesn’t suit his game as much as we think

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • He needs to mix things up behind the scenes

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
We normally obsess about this in the build-up or aftermath of another disappointing week at the Masters so would be good to get your thoughts while it’s all happening…

Will collate the replies for a piece on the site, thanks

D

Deleted member 15344

Combination of being out of form when he arrives and a touch too much pressure on himself

It’s a course where you need to be the right side of the pin and his short game at the moment is too inconsistent and he puts himself in the wrong place too many times. He also doesn’t seem to be able to grind when needed

It wouldn’t surprise me to see him go round in a 65 second round

D

Deleted member 1147

It suits him perfectly, and like Norman, he just doesn't seem destined to win there. Despite it being perfect for him.

His wedge play isn't up to the task. He needs to get over to Rotherham and get Pete Cowan to sort him out.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not just Augusta tho...

Rory last won a major in 2014 that's over half a decade ago .

Since then brooks has won 4. Spieth has won 3

No doubt gifted and talented player but no majors in 6 years is worrying

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s all pressure and the pressure makes him make many mistakes.
So much talent but so weak mentally.
I’ve said it for the last few years pressure will prevent him ever winning the Masters.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Before lockdown he was quite easily the best player in the world, unfortunately since golf resumed he hasnt been playing great.

I think there was a lot of hope he would perform this week but there wasnt much evidence showing this would happen. With the added pressure of Augusta and maybe even all majors, he needs to be in form coming into the event to have some self belief.

What I noticed from round 1 was that his wedge game was very poor in first lot of holes, stiffed one on maybe 4 or 5? and missed the putt, you could tell his head was gone.

I thought having the break would allow him to reset and come out today and shoot 2/3 under but he seemed to be pushing for things to happen which just doesn't work.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A few years back we had young Rory bouncing down the fairways with his mojo playing golf as if it was just a game with his mates and he happened to be the best. Now he's grown up, become a dad, lives a life that most of us can only dream of, but comes across as so much more serious. I don't think serious suits him. However, having had a poor start the pressure and expectation will be off and he will probably end up finishing top ten.

sunshine

Visit site
Technical issue was not an option in the poll.

I'm not a swing guru, but maybe that beautiful fluid swing that gives him such immense power with the driver, is hard to control when he needs to play a three quarter shot? He just doesn't seem to be able to control distance and trajectory of wedges / short irons. How many times do we see him playing his approach shot last, but then he is first to putt?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I wonder if he had Johnson’s mind (in a really good way) he’d have won by now? He’s been off the pace in a lot of visits but, other times, he’s been playing great

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
2011. Augusta has mythical aura about it, from the way people & players talk about it, to 'working' it out, knowing the greens, the lines etc. It's mostly nonsense, he had it in his back pocket and then blew it. Throw in the added pressures that he's told by experts that the course suits him, he's sure to win one day, the grand slam etc. and it all adds up because he knows he should have had a win at it.

There is also the wider question about his general form. McIlroy has previously declared, to paraphrase, that he wants it all - time for friends, family, golf, relaxation etc. There's no way he can play (constantly) to the best of his ability all the time; this is not a criticism necessarily, that's a personal work / life balance that he has the good fortune to decide. His reduced schedule means he isn't always tournament ready; not playing the week before the Masters for example, a chance to put into tournament play all that practice, means he pitches up at Augusta and there's all sorts of questions over his wedge / approach play. Is he badly advised? With 4 majors he probably feels he doesn't need to be advised, but he is in danger of not fulfilling even half of his career potential.

Last edited:

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He just had a bad round. He can clearly play the course and has a string of reasonable finishes. Fields are tough now with how deep they are but he's still got the ability to win it (not this year).

Could probably do with having a low opening round in a major soon though as his slow starts are a big problem.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I wonder if he had Johnson’s mind (in a really good way) he’d have won by now? He’s been off the pace in a lot of visits but, other times, he’s been playing great
Assuming you mean DJ, then I would say both are similar. Unbelievable talent, but both just can't seem to get it to click when it comes to the majors. It is mad to think that it has been 6 years since Rory last won one, and mad to think that DJ has only won one of them.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It’s a mental thing. He seems incapable of putting a mistake behind him at times, especially in Majors. One bad shot becomes a bad hole, followed very quickly by one or two more, and before you know it he can be out of contention within a couple of hours.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It's the approach shots, I think. Too much spin too many times.the shots land in the right place at Augusta, but then travel across the green!
Needs more three quarter shots into greens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It’s a mental thing. He seems incapable of putting a mistake behind him at times, especially in Majors. One bad shot becomes a bad hole, followed very quickly by one or two more, and before you know it he can be out of contention within a couple of hours.

I agree that it seems mental. He seems quicker to jack it in when he can't shoot a good score and doesn't seem capable of grinding. Hopefully he can get out of the day under par but there seems to be so many inconsistencies. Personally I am not sure he has another major in him. Even so it won't have been a bad career