• Augusta doesn’t suit his game as much as we think

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • He needs to mix things up behind the scenes

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Combination of being out of form when he arrives and a touch too much pressure on himself

It’s a course where you need to be the right side of the pin and his short game at the moment is too inconsistent and he puts himself in the wrong place too many times. He also doesn’t seem to be able to grind when needed

It wouldn’t surprise me to see him go round in a 65 second round

One off, great shout

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For a top player his 100yd and in is really poor.
He then misses on the wrong side and has a tough chip/putt.
He misses a lot of putts a top pro really shouldn’t.
He must have access to short game wisdom ,but does he listen to them.
Some players can’t change subtle things and I fear Rory is one of them ,as a 3/4 controlled wedge seems out of his skill set.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I want option 5. He can’t play golf on a Thursday. I’d be interested to know how many times he led from day 1 and won. Or just led after day 1

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I backed him this wk thinking no crowds might help him.
But I cant ever see him getting a green jacket.
All the talent,but not the mental game to live up to his potential.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
His Caddie? Short game? Mental strength? Attacking when should play conservative? Putting? One bad shot turning into a bad hole? Hunger? Dedication? Different priorities? Or just the very simple fact that he is not the player he was five years ago, as he has said before. Perhaps he has had his time at the top of his game and will never reach the peak of perfection again? We’ve all seen it happen before in golfers and in other sports.

D

Deleted member 1147

It’s a bit early to say he’s had it and won’t be at the top again.
before lockdown he was ranked no 1 in the world. In 2019 he had 19 top tens in 25 starts, 4 of which were victories.

He’s just not been very good since the season re started. Perhaps the lack of fans has had a bigger impact on him than it has in others.
And of course he struggles at ANGC.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
But thats the annoying thing. He chucks these frustrating over par rounds in and then plays well for the other three but leaves too much to do

The Open at Portrush was a classic example. Okay, I get the pressure on him to win his home Open, but that first round was abysmal, and was only followed by a stunning second when already out of contention and the pressure was off.

It just reinforces my view that the problem for him is between the ears and that, when the expectation rises, his level of performance does just the opposite. I’d love him to prove me wrong but I’ll be stunned if he wins this week.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think of Augusta as being about great driving, hitting great wedges to the correct areas, and then great putting (to capitalise on being in the right place with birdies, and save par when required).

Rory is only really consistently great at 1 from 3.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think of Augusta as being about great driving, hitting great wedges to the correct areas, and then great putting (to capitalise on being in the right place with birdies, and save par when required).

Rory is only really consistently great at 1 from 3.
While I do agree with your analogy.
He has been the no1 golfer in the world just recently.
You don’t do that unless you can do all those things.
But he lacks the consistency over four rounds.
Psychology might be the problem ,but does he listen ,?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
While I do agree with your analogy.
He has been the no1 golfer in the world just recently.
You don’t do that unless you can do all those things.
But he lacks the consistency over four rounds.
Psychology might be the problem ,but does he listen ,?

Yes, although not all courses present the same challenge as Augusta. He’s not world number 1 based on his performances there!

I agree with you about rory’s undoubted ability, but that’s why i used the word consistently to describe his driving ability as compared to putting and wedges. The latter two are streaky - yes he’s got it in him to be brilliant at both, but no one knows when in the year that’s going to show up. So hard to do it when needed on a specific weekend at Augusta which demands excellence at both of those skills.

When those skills do come together for him, he wins, and that’s why he’s been world number one.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Rory is a player who gets impatient too early in an event and presses too hard, sometimes pressing himself right out of the event before putting in a Sunday round that flatters to deceive. A couple of solid rounds, leaving himself top 10 or so, then a charge on Saturday into the final couple of groups seems more like his comfortable pace. I also think he has got caught up in the Bryson distance fetish. He doesn't need to do that, he is more than long enough.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Rory is a player who gets impatient too early in an event and presses too hard, sometimes pressing himself right out of the event before putting in a Sunday round that flatters to deceive. A couple of solid rounds, leaving himself top 10 or so, then a charge on Saturday into the final couple of groups seems more like his comfortable pace. I also think he has got caught up in the Bryson distance fetish. He doesn't need to do that, he is more than long enough.

It’s interesting to compare that with tiger who mostly seems to base his game now on avoiding errors and chipping away. Consistent good scoring.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s interesting to compare that with tiger who mostly seems to base his game now on avoiding errors and chipping away. Consistent good scoring.

I think Tiger has realised that the power game has passed him by. These younger players like Bryson, Champ and Wolff are much longer and can overpower courses in a way he no longer can. Rory will get to the same place eventually and if he is still motivated, he may have a great autumn to his career.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, although not all courses present the same challenge as Augusta. He’s not world number 1 based on his performances there!

I agree with you about rory’s undoubted ability, but that’s why i used the word consistently to describe his driving ability as compared to putting and wedges. The latter two are streaky - yes he’s got it in him to be brilliant at both, but no one knows when in the year that’s going to show up. So hard to do it when needed on a specific weekend at Augusta which demands excellence at both of those skills.

When those skills do come together for him, he wins, and that’s why he’s been world number one.
Right this is my take on what’s wrong.
Rory is a brilliant driver of the ball.
But it’s a totally different swing for an iron.
When he hits bad iron shots I think he swings like he’s hitting driver.
He gets narrow and drops his hands into the slot like he’s hitting driver.
He then tries to manipulate the clubface with his hands and can miss both ways.
He needs to see the guy who taught DJ to play his wedges.
He was like Rory but is now one of the best with a wedge in his hands.
I could be wrong but in some way I just think Rory hasn’t got his iron swing under control.
Somebody must have told him what to do over the years ,but he can’t change it or won’t.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Tiger has realised that the power game has passed him by. These younger players like Bryson, Champ and Wolff are much longer and can overpower courses in a way he no longer can. Rory will get to the same place eventually and if he is still motivated, he may have a great autumn to his career.
Spot on .
But if he did it now he would be a major player still.
It’s a mindset thing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And as if to compound the frustrations McIlroy is on a bit of a charge. Too little too late but I wonder what would have happened if that first round had even been a 70. He would be right on the edge of the mix

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Some effort, not dropped a shot for 32 holes and now -8. He's in the needles at 13 which is better than Rd 1