What I Love about Matchplay

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've only played singles match play twice, at the last two Old Farts meets. First time was 3 down in 3 and never recovered to lose 5&4. This year played much better, but I've never been so tense on a golf course - it may be because it was a team event. Made me realise what the guys go through in the Ryder Cup.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sometime if its a tight game, don't enjoy giving 20 plus shots away though;)

Matchplay is a great form of golf and if you find yourself in a position that your are giving away 20 shots then it's no real drama coz the guy probably needs them and still can't get the job done. played a club match last week were I was giving a guy 21 shots and he was telling his mates he was getting 21 shots with a grin on his face, Not so happy when he was shaking my hand on the 15th

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep, matchplay is such a good game, especially 4bbb. I once won a hole with a 7 and I also have won a hole with a hole in one.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Much prefer matchplay. 18 games within a game.
So many twists and turns, keeps you on your toes........ unless you are 9 down at the turn.
:mad:

Played a match at Muirfield once where I was 6 up at the turn and finished up holing a six footer on the 18th to win.
Opponent went crazy and played six holes in around 5 under having played crap on the first nine.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love matchplay but only if my opponent has a handicap which reflects their ability.

In pairs recently my partner and I were hammered 6&5 but thoroughly enjoyed the spirit in which the match was played. Their team were 5 &11 handicaps against our 9&13. Home advantage can be a big thing at that level and both of them played great golf.