What Hcp do you tell people?

sunshine

Visit site
On forums I tell people I’m a scratch golfer who hits 350 yard bombs for fun. In reality I’m off 48 and can barely make contact with the ball.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I ask them to specify what course, tees, and competition format, they mean. Then open the app on my phone, which is very convenient, work it out, and then I can give them the answer.

RichA

Visit site
So you would round 4.1 to 5?
I'll never have to, but yes.
The OP seemed to be talking about being asked by (probably non-golfing) relatives and friends...

Oh you play golf. What's your handicap?
How can you have .1 of a shot?
[Long explanation of handicap index calculation follows, marking you out as a "typical golf bore]

What? Exactly 4? [questioner turns out to be a golfer]
Erm, 4.1 actually.
Oh, so you rounded it down. Nice one. [sniggers]

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The OP seemed to be talking about being asked by (probably non-golfing) relatives and friends...

[Long explanation of handicap index calculation follows, marking you out as a "typical golf bore]

Erm, 4.1 actually.
Neither of those is a viable reason to round 4.1 to 5. ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Erm, 4.1 actually.
None golfers most probably have no idea that handicap equates to shots. They might know that golfers use a ‘handicap’ number as an indicator of ability in golf, with a low number being better than a high number, and so saying 4.1 is just as meaningful as saying 4. It’s a low number so you are pretty good at the game.

Golfers know about handicap index and so telling a golfer that you are 4.1 makes sense to them.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
yep as mentioned above use your index. I'd only mention your playing handicap when you're on the course as this will vary depending on the slope of each course.

also, welcome back, hope you enjoy it!

I play in another juristication for a few months of the year where the par/course rating difference is calculated into the course handicap. So, to quote the course handicap, you need to factor in which tee you will be playing. Best just to use the index.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If they're not a golfer and just being polite, my playing handicap, 12. If a golfer, then my index, 10.5.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've just sat and thought about this and realised that at the moment my handicap is so fluid that at any given time I only ever know my index, and I'm relying on the V1 app to inform me of my playing handicap each time I play.