What Hcp do you tell people?

Skytot

Visit site
Having just returned to golf after 14 yr break, friends & family ask me what my handicap is ? In the old days it was simple but now not so simple .. My WHS index is 15.0 playing of whites 18 .. So would you folks say 15 or 18 ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Index..it's the only way to judge because your playing handicap can change by several shots depending on the slope of the course you're playing...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Depends why they’re asking I suppose
If its to get me a ‘congratulations on your handicap card’ then the lowest figure
If their planning a side bet on me for the monthly medal then the handicap I’ll be using that day would seem best

For the most part I guess they don’t really care and have only asked ‘what handicap’ to show an interest in something you’re currently doing. The actual answer means little and doesn’t really change their opinion on you for the sake of a couple of shots here and there
(a bit like when you say you’re going on your hols and family/friends ask ‘where to? They don’t really care that much if its Malta or the Maldives, their just being friends/family and having a chat) (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For the most part I guess they don’t really care and have only asked ‘what handicap’ to show an interest in something you’re currently doing. The actual answer means little and doesn’t really change their opinion on you for the sake of a couple of shots here and there
(a bit like when you say you’re going on your hols and family/friends ask ‘where to? They don’t really care that much if its Malta or the Maldives, their just being friends/family and having a chat) (y)
Most are more likely to ask "how many holes in one have you got?"

Skytot

Visit site
Thanks everyone 15 this week then . I’ve still only got 18 cards in but there’s not much of a gap between best & worst so can’t see there being much fluctuation.

Fabia999

Visit site
yep as mentioned above use your index. I'd only mention your playing handicap when you're on the course as this will vary depending on the slope of each course.

also, welcome back, hope you enjoy it!

gopher99

Visit site
Having just returned to golf after 14 yr break, friends & family ask me what my handicap is ? In the old days it was simple but now not so simple .. My WHS index is 15.0 playing of whites 18 .. So would you folks say 15 or 18 ?

I would tell them your handicap is, my driving is a little iffy, irons work in progress and putting lets not talk about that?????

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Index normally - unless as above - its on the first tee arranging actual playing handicaps etc!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
3 extra for your course hcp off a 15.0 index. Must be a high slope at your place.

I would normally tell people my index, 4.2 at present and that I play off 5.

Skytot

Visit site
I was off 15.6 on Saturday and played off 18 shot a net 68 . Got dropped to 15.0 just presumed it would still be 18 . I not properly checked. Course slope is 135 off whites