What gap do you have?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My new 9i goes ~120 I think whereas the old one went 110, I haven't had much of a chance to play in decent temperatures with it yet. My SW (54 degrees) happy going 80 with it.

So 40 yard gap with a PW (~110 full) and AW (50 degree, 90 yards ~full). My old Mizuno PW used to only go 100, as does my Vokey so I had no gap. Now I have one. Not sure what to do about it yet other than crank the lofts down a touch (I haven't had them checked and feel like they might be "tour lofts"! I'm not too worried until the temperature picks up a bit.

D

Deleted member 15344

9i is 42 degree
PW at 46
Then have a 50 degrees GW and a 54 degree SW

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I was just curious how strong irons are these days and how people fill the gap.
My gaps are
9 iron 45
PW 50
SW 56 I think

I'm with you Bob, but my 60s sets are even weaker, maybe 48 for 9 iron and 52 for PW.

Funny how sand irons don't seem to have changed over time though, maybe because people don't compare how far they hit their sand irons.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the pitching wedge in my set is 46
I then go to a 50 which is the last club I hit full out.
Currently carrying 52 and 54 different bounces to have variation for greenside and 60 yard in shots.
Probably going to go back to just 52 and 56 for the summer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with you Bob, but my 60s sets are even weaker, maybe 48 for 9 iron and 52 for PW.

Funny how sand irons don't seem to have changed over time though, maybe because people don't compare how far they hit their sand irons.
I expect that by definition of it's name, it needs to have enough loft to get out of the sand. If they'd strengthened them at the same rate as the others, they'd be about 50° by now and only make it tougher to get out of a greenside bunker.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I expect that by definition of it's name, it needs to have enough loft to get out of the sand. If they'd strengthened them at the same rate as the others, they'd be about 50° by now and only make it tougher to get out of a greenside bunker.

But then the manufacturers could have sold a USW (utility sand wedge) as well as a SW.
(Hmmm, does anybody have Taylor Made's R&D phone number? :unsure:)

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I own normal lofted irons so I carry PW and GW between 9 and SW - 4 degree gaps. I dread to think what I will have to do if I ever purchase stronger lofted irons.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I own normal lofted irons so I carry PW and GW between 9 and SW - 4 degree gaps. I dread to think what I will have to do if I ever purchase stronger lofted irons.

If you had normal lofted clubs a gap wedge wouldn’t excist