What fills the gap?

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is no physical reason why your 9i goes much further than your PW.

I would suggest you go for a club gapping on a launch monitor. you probably don't hit your 9i as far as you think. if you are going by the 'i usually hit this club to this flag on this hole' method of measuring distance.

If it is a 144 yard par 3, the pin is back of the green, I hit my 9i from the tee & it lands pin high, how is that not hitting the distance I think? & not just a once flukey shot, but 3 times in 5 weeks I played that course & all 3 times I hit to the same 6ft radius

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Could easily be explained by the prevailing wind blowing in the direction. it doesn't take much wind to get that little helping hand or hurt you.

I am only guessing here as there is no logical explanation for your 9i to be so long and your PW to be so short. measuring by the method you mention usually leads to false distances.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would 2nd a gapping session on some kind of monitor- GC2 or trackman!!!

Obviously there are external factors in play why some clubs go further/shorter not just weather- for example there's a particular spot on our 1st par 5 and from experience I know when the watch says 150 I club down and go 8 irons or if wind is helping a 9 iron as it plays shorter than the yards say (I think it is slightly below level which is why it flies through)

A GC2 monitor will take all external factors away and just give you an average day, no wind etc.... I'm actually hitting the ball further than I was 6 months ago so i'm thinking of going and doing it again for an update!

Last time I just done it myself- hit about 5 shots with each club and managed to get all my irons done within the hour I had booked for a tenner. There's a place local who will do a complete set for £35 so I might do that as won't be rushing due to time

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where would I get the gapping done? My local range doesn't have the tech & the pro I went to wants me to have more lessons before he will consider reviewing my clubs.

Does anyone know anywhere around Essex? Is it something AG can do?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The gapping thing the pro should encourage. you are only looking to know how far each of your current clubs go.

That is an integral part of playing golf.

He would also be best placed to explain to you if you find this distance gap on the monitor. he might say you are delofting the 9 and not the PW for example.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The gapping thing the pro should encourage. you are only looking to know how far each of your current clubs go.

That is an integral part of playing golf.

He would also be best placed to explain to you if you find this distance gap on the monitor. he might say you are delofting the 9 and not the PW for example.

When I 1st spoke to him, he said he could do it all. When I got there, I didn't see anywhere for the tech to be housed.

After the 1st lesson, he said he would want to spend another couple of hours working on my swing & set up before he would look at reviewing/adjusting my clubs. Makes me think he doesn't have the stuff & just wants my money. Put me right off going to him.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not at all. He isn't advising you to upgrade your clubs. He wants to get your swing in order before he changes any lie angles (if necessary). he doesn't seem to be doing anything untoward.

Speak to him about gapping and say you want to do it to give you piece of mind. he might tell you within s few more weeks he will have you hitting a lot better so your distances will be out again.

I would just go ahead and ask him to do it.

Seems to be a model pro so to speak.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You don't need anywhere to house launch monitors etc. you can do it with a box sitting beside / behind the ball and a laptop.

The pro at stand said he just takes his out to the nets when he is giving that kind of session.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have exactly the same gap and I fill it through this method.

I grip down the club by a thumb length for 5 yards off a shot. It only works to take 5 yards off a club but it helps.

For taking 10 yards off I take the shorter grip and swing my hands to 11 O'clock, just short of normal swing length. To take 15 yards off its a 10 O'clock 20 its 9.

Gripping down first ensures I get a better contact and ensures I cannot over swing and over hit my target.

One club has 4 distances, meaning I can bridge pretty much all gaps and only have to remember one distance to work down from.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You don't need anywhere to house launch monitors etc. you can do it with a box sitting beside / behind the ball and a laptop.

The pro at stand said he just takes his out to the nets when he is giving that kind of session.

Ah ok, I thought it would be a "bigger" set up.

Maybe I will give him another try