What fills the gap?

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have been thinking about how I play, distances etc.

I have realised I have a real gap that needs filling.

My 9I will go 130-140 without too much effort. A bit too high a flight, but for par 3's it's ideal as it will pretty much stop where it lands....

My PW will only reach to 100-110. What I would call a "normal" flight. not too high/low etc.

So, a par 3 at say 125 yard. What do I do?

I try to reign in the 9, but either pull it WAY too short, or try to flush the PW to get a bit extra & stuff the shot completely.

What would you get/buy/do to fill this void? I ask mostly because a few of the courses I play have this 115-125 ish par 3 which loses me shots as I either duff the PW or send the 9 sailing past.

I am aware that my swing is still in development & may end up gaining a bit more power overtime increasing the length of the PW to fill the gap. But in the meantime, help please!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Learn to play 3/4 of half shots! The Dave Pelz clock system is very effective.

That distance would probably convert to a 3/4 (10:30) 8 iron.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to try and swing slowly but a pro advised to swing fully but go down the shaft as far as needed. My understanding was that 1" down the grip would lose approximately 10 yards

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There must be something else amiss. if you can get your 9i out to 140 then your PW should go further than 110.

The gap usually appears after the PW before your next club which in many cases is a sand wedge.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to try and swing slowly but a pro advised to swing fully but go down the shaft as far as needed. My understanding was that 1" down the grip would lose approximately 10 yards

I have tried that a number of times, but I tend to top it more. Probably just more practice with it

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There must be something else amiss. if you can get your 9i out to 140 then your PW should go further than 110.

The gap usually appears after the PW before your next club which in many cases is a sand wedge.

I have never used Sw for anything other than a bunker shot, in which case I am only ever aiming to get it out by a few feet, so couldn't tell you a distance for it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most bags will go

9iron
Pitching Wedge
Gap wedge
Sand wedge

Why have you not tried hitting a normal shot with your sw? its just another club.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
How does your 9 iron compare to your 8..?
Might be worth getting your lofts checked, there shouldn't that big a gap between 9 and wedge.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How does your 9 iron compare to your 8..?
Might be worth getting your lofts checked, there shouldn't that big a gap between 9 and wedge.

The 8 will go 140-150 ish, though again it rarely comes out the bag. Same as the 6. I rarely use that.

This is why I started to think I may need a few adjustments to the clubs. I went for a couple of lessons, explained this issue along with a couple of others. The pro suggested we worked on my swing etc before we looked at changing anything with the clubs.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would take the PW but down on the grip slightly. To be honest, it would never enter my head to try the SW.

Well there you go. You did need it.

Using the pitching wedge in that position is just making it harder for yourself. Hitting a PW easier will make the ball come in flatter and with less spin than the sand wedge in this situation.

Give the sand wedge a try. most people find hitting lofted clubs quite easy.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well there you go. You did need it.

Using the pitching wedge in that position is just making it harder for yourself. Hitting a PW easier will make the ball come in flatter and with less spin than the sand wedge in this situation.

Give the sand wedge a try. most people find hitting lofted clubs quite easy.

Ok cheers.

As for the gap 9 - pw? The reduced backswing? or grip down on the 9? or something else?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really don't understand why there is a such a big gap between 9i and PW either- are they from the same set? Should definitely get them checked- my PW goes about 114 so a bit more than yours, yet my 9i is way shorter at 127, 8i 140 then I just work on 10 yard increments from there all being equal with wind, up or down pin etc

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really don't understand why there is a such a big gap between 9i and PW either- are they from the same set? Should definitely get them checked- my PW goes about 114 so a bit more than yours, yet my 9i is way shorter at 127, 8i 140 then I just work on 10 yard increments from there all being equal with wind, up or down pin etc

Yep all from the same set. As per sig. It was an off the shelf but a +1 inch set.

I thought it strange I have a gap too hence I asked the pro to check the clubs for loft/lie etc etc.

I know I hit the pw around 100-110 as when I hit it full & well on the 120 yard holes I end up short of the green, same as I know the 9i hit full & well will land around 6-7 ft pin high on a 144 par 3

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My PW does 130 so I have the gap from 130 to the green and I use my 52 for this. Obviously vary the shot/swing to suit the distance.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is no physical reason why your 9i goes much further than your PW.

I would suggest you go for a club gapping on a launch monitor. you probably don't hit your 9i as far as you think. if you are going by the 'i usually hit this club to this flag on this hole' method of measuring distance.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree with this. You're hitting 9i the sort of distance I hit 7i but our pw distances are the same.