What else do you get out of golf.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Me I play to get the best score I can. On top of that it helps with my mental and physical health. I have a good laugh with the lads. Am sure I can go on.
But a PP has been through a real rough time over the last 20 months, he has lost his wife. Covid was a strain on top of but golf has helped him massively to climb out of a hole. Over the last couple of months we have played in a fuddle so playing twice a week with him has gone down to maybe twice a month.
Yesterday we were nattering at the first tee and he was buzzing, there was a spring in his step and he was as near as damn it back to his old self. The reason. Our club which I never knew has a society where folks mingle. He ended up playing a round with a woman at another course. They got on like a house on fire. She lost her husband within the last year and unfortunately is walking in the same shoes as me mate. They both loved the round, one another’s company and really hit it off. They have exchanged numbers and have a round booked on Sunday. Am chuffed for them both.
So thoughts on what else you get out of golf.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
They both loved the round, one another’s company and really hit it off. They have exchanged numbers and have a round booked on Sunday. Am chuffed for them both.

Great to hear that.

Can only dream of bagging a bit of totti on the course especially those Paige Spiranac looking ones. Yet to see any about tho unfortunately.

Me, I like to escape the misses and kids for a bit and it’s a great way for me to unwind after a day’s graft in my blue collar profession. I love the misses and kids dearly and I also love golf. I’m just about striking that fine balance between them at the moment and even more so now seen as my glittering football career has come to a standstill.

RichA

Visit site
All of the rufty tufty, not especially sensitive or new-age geezers I play with have agreed that golf has been immense for our mental health over the last 2 years.
Wasn't a golf club member until a year ago. I now have a decent social circle in my area that I didn't even realise I lacked until recently.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For me, and most of the people I play with, golf is a great reason to get out of bed at a reasonable hour, have the important exercise of at least a 5 or 6 mile walk in the fresh(ish) air, in good company, take out your frustrations on a little white ball or three, and afterwards put the world to rights over a pot of tea or something a little stronger.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
A break from a fast paced world!

I'm a mega busy person, rarely get a chance to switch off from it all - except for when I'm playing golf or fishing.

To me, theres nothing better than being in the great outdoors just soaking it all up. No phone, no internet and no distractions. Just me, my golf bats and some friends.

Nothing better.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been a bit bored lately so have gone back to work part time. Three days a week.
Working as a greenkeeper / groundsman for my mates company.
Great to have something to occupy my mind.
I was playing to much golf and not enjoying it.
Now just two/three times a week is more than enough
But I just love being with the lads at the club , it’s what I missed most from work when I retired.

Great news for your pal and his new friend I hope it works for them.
But tell him to keep her at another club , don’t want her getting in the way of his fiddle.;)

G1z1

Visit site
Golf has been great for getting me active, in my late 30s and was starting to gain weight, took 2 stone off and feel great. Met some great people in my first year and love the chase of constantly trying to beat your score.

eddie_1878

Visit site
I find golf is great for many things:

-Getting out the house to go somewhere where I’m not getting bevvied and paying for it for the next couple of days!

-The fitness aspect. It’s surprising how many calories you can burn playing, especially when playing by yourself with nobody in front.

-Peaceful, often beautiful surroundings which can be therapeutic.

-Golf is without doubt the best sport you can play, when you get it right! It also has a tendency to ruin all of the positives outlined above.

I love it, if I could pick any career to excel at, it’d be golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
3 things in the main

The company of others (I live on my own)

Reasonable exercise, being partially disabled except for rare occasions I have to give up all other sport.

My sanity.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Been a bit bored lately so have gone back to work part time. Three days a week.
Working as a greenkeeper / groundsman for my mates company.
Great to have something to occupy my mind.
I was playing to much golf and not enjoying it.
Now just two/three times a week is more than enough
But I just love being with the lads at the club , it’s what I missed most from work when I retired.

Great news for your pal and his new friend I hope it works for them.
But tell him to keep her at another club , don’t want her getting in the way of his fiddle.;)

He told me that the comp was a “ Canadian” I think. He hits his ball, she hits hers. Then he hits hers, she hits his repeat repeat. He was shocked when he got to her ball and she was playing a Dunlop. He said ” I have never hit a dunlop before and if this goes somewhere she will have to change balls” ??

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He told me that the comp was a “ Canadian” I think. He hits his ball, she hits hers. Then he hits hers, she hits his repeat repeat. He was shocked when he got to her ball and she was playing a Dunlop. He said ” I have never hit a dunlop before and if this goes somewhere she will have to change balls” ??
That’s his first gift for her then !
No flowers but some Srixons or Titleist.
The correct way to meet someone new ,no internet involved!