What do you want from an opening hole?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
OK, the exact opposite of what you want on an opening hole is at the course I've just left. Par 4, dogleg right, out of bounds down both sides and a 160/170 carry over water off the white tee. The white tee is about ten yards from the conservatory/patio where all the players following you congregate so you almost always have an audience as you slice one into the driving range or top one into the pond. Joyous! :D

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d love a nice wide par 4 where a poor tee shot isn’t punished.

What I’ve got at my course is a par 4 needing a 160 shot over water, sounds ok but the OOB and trees are tight left and so no good for anyone who fades a driver. So most of us hit an iron to the right to make sure we’re not in the drink, which leaves a 7 or 8i to the green. Nasty start in a medal.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
My problem with a short 4 is that I’d always prefer it to come later in the round. My ideal would be SI 9, a drive and a 7-iron so a par’s lovely and a 5 perfectly fine. I don’t want 90 yards in from the kill zone as, more than likely, I’ll disappoint myself (and my family). Bunt something up there, never threaten a par and you’re up and running and ready to then go deep

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As for others…quite simply all I want is a par…

Our par 5 1st presents longer hitters with a good birdie opportunity, but it can easily bite yer bum, and too many times I have walked off with 7s and 8s. Maybe that’s the sign of a good opening hole.

Plenty of room off the tee, but fairway narrowing around the 150yd to go mark between two huge stands of pines. Quite easy run onto the front of green between left and right bunkers (care required if bump and run on) but drop-offs sides and back. ?

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OK, the exact opposite of what you want on an opening hole is at the course I've just left. Par 4, dogleg right, out of bounds down both sides and a 160/170 carry over water off the white tee. The white tee is about ten yards from the conservatory/patio where all the players following you congregate so you almost always have an audience as you slice one into the driving range or top one into the pond. Joyous! :D

No wonder you left. ?

My club has a short par 5 to start. Easy hole but so easy to mess up.
4 bunkers to choose to go in off the tee. A couple of others if you decide to lay up. Plus a burn snaking along the front of the green. Two greenside bunkers too, plus the green has some tricky slopes.

Still a great opening hole that will become the closing hole when the new clubhouse comes along.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thinking about all the clubs that I’ve played Edzell has the opening hole I like best, par 4 big wide fairway any half decent drive will leave a short iron in and a par is very achievable.

Nice easy hole to get the round started give me that rather than the 1st at my club where a par for me is rare.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Our first hole par 4 often comes out as SI 1 on the playing stats but has been SI 7 on the card for a long time.
Long par 4 into a prevailing SW wind. Play sensibly and make no worse than bogey and you are off to a sound start.
Third hole is even longer par 4 in the same direction. The second and fourth are par 3s.
All your golfing skills put to a good test early on.
If you want an easy start don't play our course.

To answer the OP, owt will do me.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am superstitious and I do not like getting a birdie on the first, although it does not stop me from trying.

So many rounds with a birdie on the first which have gone downhill from thereon.
I started birdie, par, birdie, par, bogie the other week. Scored one more point on the next four holes...?????

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Our first if 355 yards with a fairly central bunker at 235, 260 carry, so it's a big hit for your first tee shot if taking it on.
OB all down the left and deep rough down the right after a quite a bit of first cut so on paper it's the ideal opener.

I usually hit fairway wood or long iron, and many is the time I hook it OB. :eek:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mid range par4 that’s not to penal.
There is nothing worse than your round being over before it starts.
Ours is 365yds bit of room to hit a wide but not to much.
No stupid hidden bunkers / ditches you can’t see from the tee
First two holes should be a gentle start to your round, after that anything goes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things I have said for years is that if I was to design a course (never going to happen) I would start it with a very tough Par 3, the sort where most golfers would take 4 or more. In that way you are setting the pace for the rest of the round.

Where I play there is nearly always a hold up on our 15th which is a very tough par 3 and just all the waiting around can be a card wrecker as well as the obvious frustration of sometimes being the third group on the tee.
S&A comes to mind.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Our first if 355 yards with a fairly central bunker at 235, 260 carry, so it's a big hit for your first tee shot if taking it on.
OB all down the left and deep rough down the right after a quite a bit of first cut so on paper it's the ideal opener.

I usually hit fairway wood or long iron, and many is the time I hook it OB. :eek:
That first is a doddle. Its just spoon then mashie, every time.

eddie_1878

Visit site
Usually happy with bogey. Having said that my last three hole 1 bogeys on my course have come as a result of three putting.

What baffles me more is my warm-up putting is usually very good to excellent. It seems the more time and care I take, the worse my putting is!

evemccc

Visit site
The opening hole at Ashridge is ideal, in that it's a gentle par 4 with the fairway generously sloping inwards to help errant drives. But perhaps, Bedale's first hole is even more benign.....a short par 4 with little trouble apart from a green-side bunker, and most importantly, the tee-shot hidden from view from the clubhouse behind a huge hedge :LOL:

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of the best 1st holes is found at Royal Cinque Ports. Clubhouse in view as you tee off up the right, but really is a pretty easy par 4 to start with. You walk off and breath...only to get chewed up by the next 17

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours has a conservatory spike bar 10 foot behind the tee.
The lads are all watching you tee off it gets quite noisy if you hit a bad one.
Certainly tests your nerve.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Bob said it
Medium length Par 4 with (very) wide fairway
Gotta be a hole that will give trouble free golf to the majority of the field with par and bogey golf the norm. Checkerboard cut on the fairway, immaculate tee box etc

There's 17 other holes to test players but I'd want everyone to get away to protect the spacing, start pace off properly and give a confidence boost that its not going to be one of those days

Can you imagine the nightmare if some of the suggestions are in place like a short par 4 or 5, or OOBs, tough this or that

Long day ahead....

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The 1st at Cooden can be a right 'mare if the wind is in your boat.
It's a tough hole anyway, about as tough a hole as you'd want in normal circumstances, but with a strong wind in your face, you've got to play it as a par 5, not the 4 it is on the card. SI used to be 10, which was a bit of a joke to an 11 handicapper playing a Stableford. They have now altered it to SI 4 which is just about spot on I reckon. One of the toughest starts to a round you'll face anywhere.