What do you want from a closing hole?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
one of the worst finishing holes locally to me (in my opinion only), is Sandy Lodge Golf club. Its a small blind tee shot, par 3, that finishes almost round the back of the clubhouse, squashed in-between the car park and the side entrance to the gents toilets. It feels like they designed the course with 17 holes, and then remembered they needed to squeeze the 18th in somewhere

hole-18-main.jpg
That looks lovely - Harry vardon knew how to design a golf course

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I want an easier finishing hole than we have at present. 440 par 4 with an enormous green. Pin at the back and it is about 460.
OoB wall all the way down the right hand side and a nasty pot bunker left that catches a lot of people. The fairway is cambered so hard to get the ball to stay on it.
My least favourite hole on the course. ?

peld

Visit site
albeit this is for tournament/spectators, I always think closing holes should be a tough par 4 or an easy par 5 - you want the drama of birdie or bogey on the last hole.

The closing on our East course is excellent as its a short par 5 but with a lot of hazards - definitely a birdie or eagle chance with a good tee shot, but can equally wreck your card as its OOB right and thick rough left.

Conversely the 18th on our West Course is quite dull - shortish Par 4, big open fairway. Drive, chip on on usually 2 putt.

AAC

Visit site
I actually think a nice short-ish par 3 would be good to finish on. But I can't really think of any courses I've played that have that, to be honest. My club finishes with two fairly short par 4s, which is nice, as you have a decent chance of a morale-boosting par-par finish - this also gives you a bit of hope of finishing strongly when you're half way through the back nine and maybe struggling a bit.

I hated the 18th at my old club, it was a 370-ish par 4 but with a wide ditch running across the 200 yard mark (although at an angle, so if you fade it, more carry is needed). It's right on the cusp of what I could carry, so off the whites I couldn't risk it, I always had to lay-up and then leave myself a tricky 180-190 yarder to the green off a sideways lie. Whereas for anyone with slightly more carry than me with the driver, it was an absolute doddle - drive over the ditch and wedge to the green. Really annoying. :LOL:

So anyone, the short answer to the question - anything that isn't too difficult, so you have hope of a decent finish. Anything difficult adds pressure of needing a decent score already before you get there, and then not messing it up.
#
A bit like ours, 175-195 yards, bunkers left, right and short , OOB left, right and long and a small two tiered slopey green ;)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reachable Par 5 for me. Played at Kettering today which has one. 4 wood being a bit hooky though so missed the green left but chipped to a couple of feet and got the birdie. It's maybe a tad easy but prefer that to a tough finish like they have at Collingtree. Our 18th is risk and reward off the whites as reachable for the big hitters (Par 4) but very tight. I always feel it's a mess up waiting to happen but it actually plays my easiest in qualifiers according to HDID.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Something that gives risk and reward options. Pick an easy yardage for a par 3, 4 or 5 with getable targets. Still need a good shot but get a decent chance of a birdie, or maybe an eagle on the par 5. Equally, a cruel twist if you hit a really bad shot.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree with risk reward sentiment purely for matchplay purposes, going down the last with the match on the line I want the opportunity to win or lose it on my terms.

Ours is a drivable par 4 in the right wind, with OOB close along the left and unplayable cabbage right. Does crazy things to a man.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last hole should be a tough one to finish. Squeaky Bum time when you have a good score going, it builds character:p

Ours is a Par 4, 424yds heather to the left and right. Fairway bunker short left @180 that gets in your head and a green surrounded by bunkers. It can be a round wrecker.

batchworth

Visit site
That looks lovely - Harry vardon knew how to design a golf course

In fairness it looks much better in that photo. It’s not so much the hole itself, it’s just the location of it. Anyone sitting in their clubhouse or on their terrace, can’t see the 18th green.

In contrast, ours is in full view of the clubhouse and terrace, which on sunny afternoons makes all the difference when playing, as you know you have the full attention of the members watching you come up the last.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Ours is a Par 4, the difficulty of which is totally dependent on the drive. Carry it 230+ over the hill and you will have a wedge left. If you can't carry the hill, good luck.

The most interesting I ever uncounted was at Cawder, just north of Glasgow. We were playing in the Sheriffs Cup which is one of the Fire Services premier events, each brigade in the country sends a four-man team, playing medal over two days.

The 18th at Cawder is an extremely downhill par 3, fairly long, quite difficult under normal circumstances. Just beyond the green is a large patio area with an outdoor bar, and on this occasion upwards of 200 firefighters, of which some of the early starters had been there for quite some time slowly becoming inebriated, and happily critiquing the late starters as they came down the hill. Woe betide anyone who made any sort of mistake on the way down.

I often imagine that was where the Waste Management company got their idea for the 16th from.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ideally, slightly downhill, bit of shape, large framed green. Not too tough, it needs to bring you back.

Incidentally Richmond GC in N.Yorkshire finishes with a really fun par 3. It works well but generally I'd prefer a par 4.

Roctar

Visit site
I like a strong par 4 to finish with, that puts the fear of god into you. Royal Lytham St Anne’s, Royal Birkdale, Moortown comes to my mind.