What do you want from a closing hole?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

sunshine

Visit site
In fairness it looks much better in that photo. It’s not so much the hole itself, it’s just the location of it. Anyone sitting in their clubhouse or on their terrace, can’t see the 18th green.

I'm with you on this. I think Sandy Lodge has a terrible 18th. The 17th is a much better finishing hole, it feels like the 18th was an after thought.

The hole looks good in the photo as the view is elevated. In reality, the tee is lower down with no view of the green. It's a blind par 3 which is usually rubbish design for an 18th.

sunshine

Visit site
It seems there are 2 schools of thought on closing hole:

1. The old school: demanding long par 4. As seen on every Open rota course (except The Old Course), and most of the top-ranked older championship courses.
2. Modern school: risk/reward par 5. As seen on most European tour events every week. Every tour event in the Middle East seems to finish the same way.

Personally, I like a short par 5 to finish (no water in front of the green) where I can finish with a birdie or even eagle in front of the clubhouse.

Two stand out for me:
Stanmore (490 yard downhill par 5)
S5GSqtslD61drKpBaoiWEEAWCbwVLURqbzxk8JpdBipK4zjsBrmkfLJ2GaqQzWHoPm_RZCiA7Di8FXuv3q3bzcydsbgWaExETa4wJyGzFJT1j5jyADBA1PyK0veOn-HqvSXKdoyKApY3O8AKT5-i_2GJ5VizxKptKYifjlSVDk_l1l9lEu-BcAIDVYobJDU
e557729806467209b4fcb902a7d92b5f_f86.jpg

Littlestone (500 yard par 5)
Hole-18-B.447.jpg

sunshine

Visit site
A hole that can be viewed from the 19th, and we can enjoy the trauma of those following us, so we can forget about our own nightmares

19th at the Shire is a terrific vantage point for viewing trauma on the 18th :LOL:

450 yard par 4 and an "S" shaped lake wraps around the green. I've sat on the terrace and watched 4 balls coming in where every player put it in the water. Lots of people lay up but then send their pitch through the green into the water over the back. It's too tough for higher handicappers (like most of the course)

the-shire-london_schematic.jpg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, I like a short par 5 to finish (no water in front of the green) where I can finish with a birdie or even eagle in front of the clubhouse.

Two stand out for me:
Stanmore (490 yard downhill par 5)
S5GSqtslD61drKpBaoiWEEAWCbwVLURqbzxk8JpdBipK4zjsBrmkfLJ2GaqQzWHoPm_RZCiA7Di8FXuv3q3bzcydsbgWaExETa4wJyGzFJT1j5jyADBA1PyK0veOn-HqvSXKdoyKApY3O8AKT5-i_2GJ5VizxKptKYifjlSVDk_l1l9lEu-BcAIDVYobJDU
e557729806467209b4fcb902a7d92b5f_f86.jpg
Remember playing Stanmore with my Uncle a couple of years ago - smashed my drive into those tight trees on the right. Had to chip out. Duffed the next one across the floor trying to leather a fairway wood or something. When I eventually got within striking distance of the green, I put a wedge to about 10 feet and holed the putt. For a 7. I remember thinking that probably looked great to the people in the clubhouse, hopefully they weren't paying attention for the earlier bit. :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
Remember playing Stanmore with my Uncle a couple of years ago - smashed my drive into those tight trees on the right. Had to chip out. Duffed the next one across the floor trying to leather a fairway wood or something. When I eventually got within striking distance of the green, I put a wedge to about 10 feet and holed the putt. For a 7. I remember thinking that probably looked great to the people in the clubhouse, hopefully they weren't paying attention for the earlier bit. :LOL:

I have different memories. Last time I played I hit a lovely drive down the middle then a 3 wood approach which rolled right to the back of the green. It was a mini Ryder cup style match with my mates so probably the most tense I've been over a putt. I stroked in the 10 footer for eagle and shouted "GET IN" very loudly and disturbed the senior ladies having their lunch on the terrace. They must have thought we were total bell ends running around celebrating :ROFLMAO:

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We finish on a 510 yard par 5. There is a stream that diagonally runs across it, requiring a tee shot with a 160 to 180 yard carry to clear it. Many struggle with the carry and lay up, which I don’t believe is a great design for the opening shot for a par 5. Nearer the green there are a line of bunkers diagonally across the fairway in the other direction (50 to 120 yards out), which again mean a lay up unless you can carry them.