What condition do you expect your course to be in come March 29?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Richmond Park is orders of magnitude better that the current lot. I doubt the likes of Crown Golf would get involved. I doubt very much the members would want to run it
I haven't played Richmond Park, but I know that's their flagship course. My local course - run by them - is currently a total mess and it is truly sad to see. I have absolutely no idea what the game is there - they never properly invest in the course and they never make profit on it, at least on paper. Each year we hear the same stuff, that things are changing and things will improve. Sadly, I'm now at the stage where I wouldn't believe them if they said that the sky was blue.

Zig

Visit site
We've had a very wet winter/spring. I'm a member of a links course, and when I went past at the weekend there was more water on two of the fairways than I've ever seen before, and the water table must be high as many bunkers were holding water.. Here's hoping it dries out over the next few weeks, and that the temps increase enough to see some growth where the HGK has obviously been hard at work making improvements. We've definitely won hands down with his recent appointment. ;)(y)

Boomy

Visit site
Irrigation system has been upgraded, loads of bunkers have had revetted faces replaced, all that remains to be seen is what sort of Cumbrian weather we have between now and then. Judging on todays 50 mph wind and torrential rain we could still be in deep mid winter :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don't care, still the best course within 100 miles of my house.

I think you may be a member at the same club as me ⛳️ There’s currently a typhoon passing over there I think ? “just a larl breeze that”

Boomy

Visit site
Both courses I’m a member at have had significant time and money invested into them with drainage and general improvements so I’m confident by the time we are allowed back out to play they will both be in superb fettle!

One is links and is a superb course 12 months of the year (it’s in the top 100 we can actually play list) an absolute privilege to play it as my home course! The other is parkland and can suffer with the wet weather, but it’s had investment in irrigation which will help a lot. It is also a fab track.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I haven't played Richmond Park, but I know that's their flagship course. My local course - run by them - is currently a total mess and it is truly sad to see. I have absolutely no idea what the game is there - they never properly invest in the course and they never make profit on it, at least on paper. Each year we hear the same stuff, that things are changing and things will improve. Sadly, I'm now at the stage where I wouldn't believe them if they said that the sky was blue.

fair enough, doesn't seem to be a simple answer then

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We've had a very wet winter/spring. I'm a member of a links course, and when I went past at the weekend there was more water on two of the fairways than I've ever seen before, and the water table must be high as many bunkers were holding water.. Here's hoping it dries out over the next few weeks, and that the temps increase enough to see some growth where the HGK has obviously been hard at work making improvements. We've definitely won hands down with his recent appointment. ;)(y)
SC?

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Expecting ours to be fantastic. I played in the 4th group out last year after lockdown 1 and it was very very good then, but during that lockdown we had furloughed most of the greenstaff and kept a skeleton crew. This time I think the entire staff has been kept on, looking forward to seeing what they can do with a course that has had no pesky golfers ruining it for 3 months. :)

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Expecting ours to be v good, mainly because we have good staff and they have had so much more time on the course and also the members (me included) haven't been messing the course up all winter

D-S

Visit site
I think people need to remember that their courses will have been well looked after and rested but no course in England is in peak condition in late March.
You can mow your lawn, feed it, weed it and work on it every day for the first three months of the year but it is not going to be in ‘very good condition’ until May at the earliest.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It will be in fairly decent nick - but still wet & soft. Greens will be fine, some tees have been relaid and extended , some bunkers revetted, some fairway changes , and some tree work done. Only disapponting but will ve the muddyvsections of fairway - but they'll be fine when we get some growth.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our course is on clay so has usually been turned into a divot filled swamp by this time of the year. If it gets chance to dry out between now and then it should be in good nick. I would really like to see the inside of the clubhouse again too as I have never been a “car park” golfer. Always go in after a round even if it’s just for a cup of tea.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well last time I played it the greens were frozen solid and the rest of it was sodden, so it's probably going to be better than that. As long as it's playable and open I don't really care.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Barring a couple of areas normally damaged by foor traffic, I'm not expecting it to be any different than every other season start, Good tees for about a week, damp long fairway, patchy rough, greens with fair conditions but still kept a couple mm's high for protection from seasonal climate.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Front 9 - Should be in great nick. This is the older half of our golf course (originally a 9 holer) and is normally worse for draining and gets boggy in patches than the back 9. Front 9 is on private land and will have benefitted from a good rest over the last few months, Ive been on a couple of walks over the course and its looking great, greens have undergone some treatments and work has begun to extend our 8th hole from a Par 4 to Par 5.

Back 9 - absolute mess at the moment. Its built on public land just gets walked all over by dog walkers/ daily exercisers. Paths and areas between holes are bogs, grass is battered from all the foot traffic, its a mudbath. Way worse than if golf had continued to be played. The public avoid walking the areas when balls are flying from all directions! Few weeks of play and some dry land will sort most of the issues out though - and the greens are always superb.

Such is the frustration/ joy of being a member of such a cheap and friendly golf club. Its not perfect, but its ours and after lockdown, all I want is to be back at my club!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Richmond Park is orders of magnitude better that the current lot. I doubt the likes of Crown Golf would get involved. I doubt very much the members would want to run it
I don’t know how good my Crown Golf course will be, but based on social media they used the time with no traffic to fix the car park ;-)
We had pot holes that were more like bunkers than divots, it’s a good use of resources and time.

sunshine

Visit site
As posted on another thread, I expect the course to be like Augusta!

5 months off with barely any golf, apart from a few weeks in December when wet weather closed the course a lot of the time, and when it was open there wasn't much traffic due to reduced daylight hours. Obviously a lot depends on the weather we have in march, but for now the cold snap has gone, it's been mild, dry and breezy for the last week and looking to continue for at least another week.