What clubs have great food

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Best lunch I've had was at Royal St George's - immense. But I know that there are a number guys on here who rave about The Berkshire too.

Best breakfast was The Belfry - full on hot and cold buffet.

And the half way house at Woburn (Marquess) had Guinness and Asahi on tap, as well as a brilliant sausage bap! Would've quite happily binned off the rest of the round and spent a few hours in there!

Royal St George's never fails on the lunch 👍

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got back from a golf trip in the UK and the golf was good and the course in great shape. Couldn't say that about the food - terrible breakfast it was like a little chef disaster and the dinner was like a ready meal.
I'm not expecting Gordon Ramsay, but some good honest food. Has anyone got any courses they know with great food?
Wetherby, Selby and Moortown

Sample menu
Starters

Roasted Tomato and Paprika Soup with Fresh Basil

Spanish Style Fresh King Prawns with Chorizo, Roasted Red Peppers and Rosemary in a Lightly Warmed Olive Oil with Ciabatta.

Home Made Confit of Duck Rillette with Cornichons, Rocket and Warm Buttered Baguette.

Asparagus and Hollandaise Sauce with Confit of Plum Tomato and Parmesan Flutes with Aged Balsamic,

Main Courses

7 Hr Braised Steak Diane with Tarragon Mashed Potatoes and Crispy Parsnip.

Pan Fried Seabream with a Julienne of Vegetables Marinated in Lemon and Thyme with Lyonaise Potatoes and a White wine and Dill Cream Sauce.

Pan Fried Chicken Breast Stuffed with Feta and Olives with a Tangy Tomato Salsa, Sautéed New Potatoes and Pesto.

Roasted Butternut Squash, Garden Pea and Forest Mushroom Risotto with Truffle Oil

Sweets

Pear and Ginger Crème Brule Trifle with Crushed Amaretti.

Chocolate and Shortbread Cream Crunch with Candied Orange and Kahlua

Selection of Cheese and Biscuits with Celery and Chutney

Selection of Ice Cream and Sorbet Served in a Brandy Snap Basket with Fresh Fruit Coulis.

D

Deleted member 15344

RSG and Berkshire lunch are superb

The sausage roll at Blackmoor is immense

Halfway hut at Hadley Wood is excellent

Agree about Tadmarten Heath - great homely food

Ashridge is good

Had a great breakfast at Buckingham GC

RCP was really great breakfast as well

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Fair point about pricing, but the roast dinner I had at The Berkshire was probably the best roast dinner I have ever had. And the desert was also superb.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always remember Fish's face when they rolled up a sausage in a round of bread at Sunningdale :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The one at New Zealand had quality sausage rolls.

However, best ever for for breakfast is Silloth on Solway..... Best Sausage bars ever!!!!!

GolfingPastor

Visit site
Most places are Overpriced and bang average!

Cumberwell Park however does the best buffet I’ve ever had @ a golf club! Stunning.

D

Deleted Member 1156

As much as i love Sunningdale, and i do a lot, the myth of the great sausage sandwich halfway is severely over-rated - without the hype it would be fine - but a pre-cooked sausage kept hot in a pan stuck between a slice of pre-buttered bread....!
The sausage bap at Hayling blows the Sunningdale one away (y)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst I agree with jobr1850 I think there's more to it....

Tandridge is exceptional in its catering (whilst I'm not a fan of the course)
Rye is absolutely awesome on its catering and I would visit as a restaurant if the option existed(with someone else driving).
Westbyfleet has deliver the best value society catering package I've experienced.
Berkshire's lunch is again an example of if I could visit as a restaurant I would.
Loads of great lunch menus in my area - but they are still in the minority from a golf club perspective.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Best breakfast - toughie as most clubs offer the ubiquitous bacon/sausage bap or I eat at the B&B if I am staying away. Otherwise I usually get something like a Wetherspoons brekkie and refillable tea which is decent value for money. Of those clubs I have eaten at, Lydd did great brekkie. Shame it was all down hill from there

Best lunch (formal) - has to be the Sunningdale carvery for me. Honorary mentions to Swinley, The Berkshire
Best lunch (informal) - Bude & North Cornwall (great specials board and friendly service)

Best halfway hut - tough category. For me, Sunningdale probably just pips West Hill but again honorary mentions to Blackmoor and Woburn